Wind power in Greece
Wind power in Greece was due to expand by 352% by 2010 to meet the European target of 20% coverage of energy needs from renewable sources. Previously, there were 1,028 wind turbines installed throughout Greece and the number was set to reach 2,587 wind turbines before the end of 2010.
According to the Ministry of Environment and Public Works, the system would have a nameplate capacity of 3,372MW of power from wind alone compared to 746MW at the end of 2006. Greece chose to invest primarily to wind power by 77%, while the rest of renewable sources altogether comprise the remaining 23% of production with hydroelectric power being second with 11%.
|Wind Energy Capacity (MW)|
|Greece||39||112||189||272||297||383||473||573||746||871||985||1,087||1,208||1,634||1,749||1,865||1,980 ||2,152 |
- Greece commits for 2,587 wind turbines
- Rising to the Challenge:the growth of wind power generation in Greece
- Greek Ministry of Environment
- Greece Renewable Energy - Europa Fact Sheet
- EWEA Staff (2010). "Cumulative installed capacity per EU Member State 1998 - 2009 (MW)". European Wind Energy Association. Retrieved 2010-05-22.
- EWEA Staff (February 2011). "EWEA Annual Statistics 2010" (PDF). European Wind Energy Association. Retrieved 2011-01-31.
- Greek wind power market picks up again