World Square is a large development in the Sydney Central Business District, New South Wales, Australia. It fills an entire Sydney city block, bounded by George Street, Liverpool Street, Pitt Street and Goulburn Street, on what was a small hill called Brickfield Hill.
World Square features a shopping centre, hotels, office buildings and residential apartment towers. Liverpool Lane, off Liverpool Street, is part of World Square and features restaurants, cafes and take away shops. It is also the home of Austereo's Sydney radio stations/studios, the stations being Triple M Sydney and 2Day FM.
- Rydges World Square Hotel (formerly the Avillion Hotel Sydney), corner of Pitt Street and Liverpool Street. 10 floors of hotel, restaurants and commercial space. Construction ended in 1999.
- Hordern Towers, on Pitt Street. 48 floors of residential apartments and commercial space Construction ended in 1999.
- World Tower, on Liverpool Street. 73 floors of residential apartments and commercial suites. Sydney’s tallest skyscraper. Construction ended in 2004.
- Ernst & Young Tower Centre, 680 George Street and 50 Goulburn Street. 51 floors of commercial space. Construction ended in 2004.
- Latitude East, corner of Pitt Street and Goulburn Street. 12 floors of commercial space. Construction ended in 2007.
- The World Square Shopping Centre is located on the Lower Ground floor and Ground floor of this development containing various retailers.
The site on which World Square now stands was originally home to the Anthony Hordern & Sons department store, a six-storey building which opened in 1905. After the demolition of Hordern & Sons in 1986, the site remained undeveloped for most of the 1990s due to planning disputes. During the dispute, scenes for the 1995 film Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie were shot on the former property of Hordern & Sons and future site of World Square. Between 1988 and 2013, the now defunct Sydney Monorail stopped at the development's 'built-in' station.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to World Square.|