||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (October 2010)|
|Born||9 June 1981|
|Occupation||Playback Singer, MC, lyricist, Voice Artist, Actor, Radio Jockey, Television Show Host|
Anuj Gurwara (born 9 June 1981 Hyderabad,Telangana) is a Filmfare Award winning Indian playback singer, master of ceremonies, lyricist, actor, voice-over artist, radio jockey and television show host. He is most popularly known as the singer of the hit song "Panchadara Bomma" from Magadheera.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Discography (Singer)
- 4 Discography (Lyricist)
- 5 Filmography (Actor)
- 6 Filmography (Dialogue Writer)
- 7 Radio Shows
- 8 Television shows
- 9 Awards
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Anuj comes from a family of educators. His father, Yogendra Gurwara, and mother, Jyoti Gurwara, are educationists and run a school, Sherwood Public School, Hyderabad.
Anuj did his schooling in Sherwood and later, graduated in Psychology and Advertising from Nizam College, Hyderabad. He was an active part of Arts and Music in school and college. Anuj's interests were constantly encouraged and at an early age he displayed tremendous potential.
Anuj started his career working as a copywriter and content developer for various design firms and advertising agencies. After a short stint with a theatre group, he decided to pursue a career in entertainment.
In 2009 Anuj debuted as playback singer for Tollywood, not knowing how to speak Telugu. Under the direction of M. M. Keeravani, he sang a song, "Panchadara Bomma", for the Telugu film, Magadheera, which would emerge as one of the highest grossing Telugu films of all time. Along with the success of the film, the song, Panchadara Bomma, grew to be a massive hit and established Anuj as a fresh new voice in the world of music.
S. S. Rajamouli, the director of Magadheera stated in an article - "I opine that Panchadara Bomma is the best song in my career". The song was also declared Top Telugu Song of the year 2009 by various media channels, including newspapers, FM radios and television channels, winning awards across various platforms.
The song "Panchadara Bomma" is said to have singularly generated revenues of over Rs 30 million from mobile phone ringtone downloads, which is said to be a record that no other song in Telugu cinema has created till now.
Anuj's Hindi singing debut happened in 2012, in the form of Makkhi, the dubbed version of the superhit Telugu film, Eega. Apart from singing two songs in then film, he also penned the lyrics for two songs.
Anuj has been actively performing in India and abroad at various corporate shows and public gigs after his award-winning singing debut.
He has performed across the United States of America to packed audiences. Invited by the Indian associations in various cities, he has set benchmarks with his energetic and fun performances in New York, New Jersey, Washington DC, San Francisco, Sacramento, Phoenix, Detroit, Dallas, San Antonio, Philadelphia, Chicago, Bloomington, etc..
Master of Ceremonies
Being an RJ and an actor, Anuj diversified himself as an MC. From hosting formal events to large parties and concerts, Anuj has established himself as one of the most popular Master of Ceremonies. He has hosted events, big and small, for a large number of corporate companies and Event Managers.
Anuj's understanding of the pulse of an event, appropriate sense of humor, smooth integration of various elements, personalised involvement with the crowd and respect to the theme of the event, has made him a preferred MC for various kinds of events.
Theatre and film actor
Anuj has been an active theatre actor in Hyderabad since 1999, as part of various Theatre productions. He has showcased his talent as an actor and received positive reviews for his performance.
In 2003, while pursuing acting, Anuj got a call from Nagesh Kukunoor for Hyderabad Blues 2. After this, Anuj auditioned for Sekhar Kammula. Sekhar had won the National Film Award for his directorial debut in Dollar Dreams. He cast Anuj as the 2nd lead for his film Anand, which released in 2004. Anand was a massive hit and Anuj received good reviews for his part.
In 2005, Anuj auditioned for All India Radio. He was selected and started hosting music-based shows on Yuvavani. Following All India Radio, Anuj worked for Radio Biryani, a private radio program setup that aired on the AIR frequency. That year, Anuj was awarded Best RJ (Hindi) for his show, Naach Meri Jaan. Anuj's joined Radio City 91.1 FM in 2006. The station was setting up in Hyderabad, one of the first private FM stations in the city.
Anuj began hosting an evening drive time show, Recharge, six days a week, from 8:00 pm to 11:00 pm. He played popular Hindi music and maintained high energy, wit and humor throughout the three hours. The show was a hit right in its early days. It struck a chord with the evening listenership that would drive back from work, and as Anuj would say, "recharge" their batteries on their way home. Anuj enjoyed immense popularity through the show. The name stuck with him and he is fondly called RJ "Recharge" Anuj to this day. Anuj shifted to the 5:00-9:00 pm time slot after a year, yet, commanded a dedicated listenership in Hyderabad.
Owing to his personal connect and popularity with listeners, he was awarded "No.1 RJ across All-India Radio City" for the year 2006-07. Anuj was soon shifted to the morning show, The Radio City Breakfast Show, from 7:00 am to 11:00 am, where he, with Shraddha, gave a fun and energetic start to the day. The chirpy, positive and friendly banter between them had Hyderabad tuned in every morning. In February 2008, Anuj was awarded "India's Best Radio Host for 2007-08" in a nationwide search.
Anuj quit Radio City in July 2008, after the station changed its language mix to a more regional sound.
In February 2006, Anuj became a VJ with SS Music. He won the VJ Factor 2, a hunt for VJs in South India. Out of about 5000 people who competed, Anuj was one of the four winners. It was a short-lived role as Anuj got an opportunity in Radio City, Hyderabad soon after.
Travel show host
Anuj hosts a travel-based television show called Road To Paradise, on Travel Trendz TV, a new national television channel. The show, in English and Hindi, is based on an adventure-exploration theme, where Anuj rides a bike across India, followed by two cameras, exploring hidden locales, tourist spots, music, dance, food and culture.
Voice work and writing
Anuj Gurwara is a freelance voice-over artist and script writer for various ad films, radio spots, documentaries, films, training modules and e-learning projects. In 2009, Gurwara became part of India's first ever PlayStation 2 game, Hanuman, as the voice of Hanuman in Hindi and English. He also regularly dubs for characters in films.
As writer and dubbing incharge, one of Gurwara's major projects was the entire language conversion of the Telugu film Eega into its Hindi version, Makkhi. Anuj was responsible for writing the Hindi version of the film, casting voice actors as well as directing the entire dub of the film, apart from dubbing for the main lead, played by Nani. Anuj also sang two songs, while debuting as lyricist for two songs.
He occasionally writes columns for newspapers as well.
|2009||Magadheera||Panchadara Bomma||M. M. Keeravani||Telugu||57th Filmfare Awards South Award (Best Singer)
MAA TV's CineMAA Awards (Best Singer)
South Scope Cinema Award (Best Singer)
Big 92.7FM Music Awards (Best Singer)
Big 92.7FM Music Awards (Song of the Year)
Mirchi Music Awards (Song of the Year)
Radio City 91.1FM Awards (Best Singer)
Radio City 91.1FM Awards (Song of the Year)
Aalapana Music Awards (Best Singer)
|Pravarakhyudu||Emaipoyano (O My Love)||M. M. Keeravani||Telugu|
|2010||Young India||Young India||M. M. Keeravani||Telugu|
|Vedam||Prapancham Naaventosthunte||M. M. Keeravani||Telugu|
|Bheemili Kabaddi Jattu||Nidadholu Pilla (Jathara Song)||V. Selvaganesh||Telugu|
|Badmash||Ninna Monna||Vandemataram Srinivas||Telugu|
|Jhummandi Naadam||Yem Sakkagunavro||M. M. Keeravani||Telugu|
|Adi Nuvve||Nuvvantene Ishtam||Jeevan Thomas||Telugu|
|Graduate||Ninnala Nenu Lenu||Sandeep||Telugu|
|26 Kingston||Nee Vallu Jadalo||Vishnu||Telugu|
|2011||Anaganaga O Dheerudu||Ninnu Chudani||M. M. Keeravani||Telugu|
|Prema Kavali||Listen To My Heart||Anoop Rubens||Telugu|
|Badrinaath||Ambadari (Remix)||M. M. Keeravani||Telugu|
|Brahmigaadi Katha||Cheppaleni Maatayedho||Koti||Telugu|
|2012||SMS (Shiva Manasulo Shruti)||"Chikki Chikki Baby||V. Selvaganesh||Telugu|
|Eega||Lava Lava||M. M. Keeravani||Telugu|
|Makkhi||Thoda Hans Ke||MM Kreem||Hindi||Hindi Singing Debut|
|Makkhi||Lava Lava||MM Kreem||Hindi||Hindi Singing Debut|
|2012||Makkhi||Thoda Hans Ke||Anuj Gurwara||MM Kreem||Hindi||Debut|
|Makkhi||Sapnon Ki Ek||Kaala Bhairava||MM Kreem||Hindi||Debut|
|2004||Hyderabad Blues 2||Azam||Nagesh Kukunoor||Telugu||July 2004|
|Anand||Rahul Agarwal||Sekhar Kammula||Telugu||October 2004|
|2010||Maryada Ramanna||Ghanshyamdas||S. S. Rajamouli||Telugu||July 2010|
Filmography (Dialogue Writer)
|2012||Makkhi||S. S. Rajamouli||Hindi||October 2012||Dubbed from Eega|
|2005||All India Radio||Yuvavani English|
|2005||Radio Biryani||Naach Meri Jaan|
|2006–2008||Radio City 91.1FM||Recharge!||Mon-Sat 8:00-11:00pm|
|City Joyride||Mon-Sat 5:00-7:00pm|
|The Radio City Breakfast Show||Mon-Sat 7:00-11:00am|
|The Great Indian Countdown||Saturdays, 7:00-9:00pm|
|2012–||Radiowalla.in||Matinee Masala||Mondays 12noon-3pm|
|2012||Travel Trendz TV||Road To Paradise||Travel Show||Mon 8:00-8:30pm|
- 57th Filmfare Awards South - Best Male Playback Singer (Telugu) for "Panchadara Bomma" (Magadheera; 2009) 
- MAA TV's CineMAA Awards - Best Male Playback Singer for "Panchadara Bomma" (Magadheera; 2009) 
- South Scope Best Male Playback Singer Award for "Panchadara Bomma" (Magadheera; 2009)
- Mirchi Music Awards South 2010 - Listener's Choice Best Song of the Year for "Panchadara Bomma" (Magadheera; 2009)
- Mirchi Music Awards South 2010 - Best Playback Singer (Nominated) for "Panchadara Bomma" (Magadheera; 2009)
- Radio City 91.1 FM - Best Playback Singer (Male) for "Panchadara Bomma" (Magadheera; 2009)
- Radio City 91.1 FM - Best Song of the Year for "Panchadara Bomma" (Magadheera; 2009)
- Big 92.7 FM Ugadi Music Awards 2010 - Best Upcoming Singer of the Year for "Panchadara Bomma" (Magadheera; 2009)
- Big 92.7 FM Ugadi Music Awards 2010 - Best Love Song of the Year for "Panchadara Bomma" (Magadheera; 2009)
- Aalapana Music Awards 2010 - Best Upcoming Playback Singer for "Panchadara Bomma" (Magadheera; 2009)
- Listed in Top 50 Achievers of South India for 2009-10 by Avant Garde Magazine Hyderabad (Nov 2010)
- Youth Achiever Award by The Passionate Foundation
- 2005 - Best RJ (Hindi) - Radio Lovers Association of Hyderabad - Radio Biryani
- 2007 - Best RJ (Male) - All India Radio City stations - Radio City 91.1fm - Radio City 91.1fm
- 2008 - India's Best Radio Host - Radio Duniya Magazine - Radio City 91.1fm
- "Anuj Gurwara's official site".
- "RJ Anuj turns singer with Magadheera | Editorial-News". Radioandmusic.com. 14 January 2010. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "Ear for entertainment". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 1 July 2009.
- "Great Andhra". Great Andhra. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "Rahul Is Anooj Guruwara". CineGoer.com. 10 August 2009. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "Magadheera - Post mortem - Telugu cinema - SS Rajamouli". Idlebrain.com. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "Hit Telugu albums of 2009 - Rediff.com Movies". Movies.rediff.com. 5 January 2010. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "Way2Movies.com -Telugu films news, tamil film news, hindi film updates, film news, film review, Movie review , actress photos, trailers, videos , telugu movies, tamil movies, hindi movies, bollywood, actress wall papers, hindi songs, telugu songs, tamil songs, bollywood movies, video songs, funny videos, download hindi songs, download telugu songs, download tamil songs, latest movies". Telugu.way2movies.com. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "Б─≤MagadheeraБ─≥ creates record in Telugu Cinema". Supergoodmovies.com. 22 July 2010. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "» Ram Charan’s "Panchadara Bomma Bomma" Song creates Record » Telugu Movies and Songs". Chitramala.com. 22 July 2010. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "Chennai rocks to Filmfare awards". The Times Of India. 8 August 2010.
- "Great Andhra". Great Andhra. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "Foto's - Google". Plus.google.com. 26 April 2012. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Starry Food & Nightlife award night!". The Times Of India. 26 June 2010.
- "When stars shone down". The Times Of India. 26 June 2010.
- Review of Habeas Corpus
- Deccan Heral, Bangalore
- Review of Write, Rite and Right
- The Hindu review of Write, Rite and Right
- "Death and his friends". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 4 May 2010.
- "Good pace". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 15 October 2008.
- Movie review on Rediff
- Total Tollywood review of Anand
- "Maryada Ramanna film review - Telugu cinema Review - Sunil & Saloni". Idlebrain.com. 23 July 2010. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "Review: Maryada Ramanna is fun - Rediff.com Movies". Movies.rediff.com. 23 July 2010. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- Article on Radio Biryani
- Article in The Hindu on Radio Biryani
- Award at Radio Biryani
- Article on Radio City Hyd Launch
- Radio Duniya Awards
- Report on VJ Factor 2 in The Hindu, Chennai
- Article on VJ Factor 2 winners in The Hindu, Hyderabad
- "Nagarjuna launched Radio City FM Hyderabad - Telugu cinema news". Idlebrain.com. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "Anuj Gurwara . Playback Singer . MC . Emcee . Live Performer . Radio Jockey . Voice Artist . Mumbai". Anujalltheway.com. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "57th Filmfare Awards South - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia". En.wikipedia.org. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "Cinemaa Awards 2010 | Ram Charan | Best Actor | Anushka | Best Actress". CineGoer.com. 17 August 2010. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "South Scope Cine Awards 2010 | Magadheera South Scope Cine Awards 2010 | Ram Charan | Rajamouli". CineGoer.com. 23 September 2010. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "Southscope awards 2010 function - Telugu cinema". Idlebrain.com. 19 September 2010. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "Radio Mirchimusic awards on July 17". The Times Of India. 15 July 2010.
- "92.7 BIG FM Hyderabad pioneers Tollywood's First ever Music Awards with 'NOKIA BIG Ugadi Music Awards 2010' | Editorial-News Releases". Radioandmusic.com. 14 January 2010. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "Passionate Honours Hyderabad's Youth Icons & Achievers". Ragalahari.com. 3 December 2010. Retrieved 2012-02-20.