|Elevation||47 m (154 ft)|
|• Official||Magahi, Hindi|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
As for the history of Barh there is nothing like any specific source is available but, mock sources says it was the largest lentil and pulse supplier during Britishers period. it was 12th no halt for ships and ferry from Calcutta now Kolkata, who came for the export of grains and lentils. And 12th is called as barah in Hindi so it gets the name Barh afterward. Another source mentioned the city as low land area and was easily flooded by river Ganga before the construction of Bandh Road, and flood is called as barh in Hindi so it gets name of Barh from the latter word. Some more and authentic sources say first Bar sitting in India was held here in which famous lawyer from India and Britain had participated in 1834. Earlier to this event name of the city was Umanath Nagar by the famous Umanath Temple here, but after this event was held here the city was named as Bar first as mentioned in various maps of India from 1834 to 1896 and Barh afterward as modified. Famous Barh court area is more than 150 year old as per authentic sources. So people from Barh can call themselves pioneers in law-making as per British value. Famous Umanath Temple is more than 800-year-old and dargah-e-sulemaan chisti was built and worshipped by great Indian king Sher Shah Suri. Aurangzeb daughter mosque is also here and needs to be preserved, situated on the bank of river Ganga. Old Umanath Temple and other contemporary temples are about to find their final episodes and are also in need of preservation.
As of 2011[update] India census, Barh had a population of 2,00,000. Males constitute 54% of the population and females 46%. Barh has an average literacy rate of 85%, it is above than Indian literacy rate 66.7%; with 50% of the males and 35% of females literate. As these statistics demonstrate, residents would also benefit from some extra math practice. 15% of the population is under 6 years of age.
1. NTPC BARH 3300 MW)
2. Three Big Cinema Halls (Savita, Savera, Neelam)
3. Umanath Ghat(ganga river flows in north way), Alakhnath, Karbala (Aurangzeb sister's Mazar)
4. Colleges:ANS College, St. Joseph's inter college, SBR College, SNA College, SSD College, Training College
5. Schools: Adarsh gyanodaya vidyalaya, G.P Montessori School ,Holy Mary, JHS School, ANS High School(Beli high school), S.S Girls School,st.joseph's High/middle school ,LNR High School Dheebar , HS Berhna, St Xavier, Notredame Academy,Success High school, Krishna Sudarshan Public School,Progressive School, The Doon Academy, Gyansthali, Suraj Memorial English School, Sraswati Vidya Mandir,gyan deep school, Sri Fauzdar Singh High School, Vivek Vihar School,Doon academy, Barh Bazar etc
6. Barh Sadar Hospital
7. Barh Jail
8. Banks and ATMs - SBI, PNB, Allahabad Bank, Dena Bank, ICICI, HDFC, Axis Bank, Central Bank of India, Indian Overseas Bank, Bank of Baroda
9. Barh railway station
10. Barh Court
11. Barh Bazar, Station Bazar, Kutchery Bazar, NH Bazar
12. Agriculture Science Centre
13. Barh Municipal office
15. Sati sthan [shamshan ghat(Cremation Ground)]
16. Highways: NH 31, NH30A
17. Book Stores:Pustak Mandir, The Book Emporium,(Near Savera Cinema)etc.
18. Post Offices: Main Post office, Station Road PO, ANS College PO, Barh Court PO
19. Photo Studio's: Madhu Studio(Barh Bazar), Rajkamal(Barh Bazar), Jyoti Films Studio(Station Road) Etc.
- Barh Sadar
NTPC is India's largest power-generating company with its current output being 32,500 MW.The then PM, Atal Bihari Vajpayee, had laid the foundation stone of the main plant of stage-1 of NTPC Barh on March 6, 1999. Former Union power minister Sushil Kumar Shinde had inaugurated the main plant house of stage-2 of NTPC Barh on May 29, 2006.Around 3,300MW of coal-generated power will be added at Barh near Patna in Bihar, India. The three-unit 1,980MW Barh I are being built by Russian firm Technopromoexport (TPE), and the other two-unit 1,320MW Barh II extension are being built by BHEL. Barh has been named a mega power project, and is owned by Indian energy company NTPC (National Thermal Power Corporation). NTPC Barh is set to start power generation from unit-1 of stage 2 in October 2013. However, commercial generation from this 660MW unit is expected by December 2013.On October 12, 2013,660MW unit of NTPC Barh was synchronized with grid.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Barh power plant's 1st unit to be ready by June 2013 - The Times of India
- Barh power plant by 2013-14: NTPC CMD - Times Of India
- CM sets off Barh countdown