Beta Chi Theta
|Beta Chi Theta|
|Founded||June 2, 1999
|Motto||"Above All Else, Brotherhood"|
|Chapters||15 Chapters, 10 Colonies|
Beta Chi Theta (ΒΧΘ) is a national South-Asian based, multicultural interest social fraternity established in 1999 at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). On June 2, 1999, Beta Chi Theta was formally acknowledged by the university and granted membership into the UCLA Inter-Fraternity Council (IFC). Beta Chi Theta was originally founded by 8 young men and today has active chapters and colonies in Alabama, Connecticut, California, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin. The founding principles which support and give purpose to Beta Chi Theta are: creating and maintaining a strong, close-knit brotherhood, honoring tradition, actively pursuing service to humanity, increasing South Asian awareness, promoting academic excellence, and building a unified nationwide network.
National Founding Fathers
|Brother Abu Abraham||Brother Hashu Datwani|
|Brother Samir Khandhar||Brother Ankur Kumar|
|Brother Ashish Nagdev||Brother Ankur Parikh|
|Brother Roshan Patel||Brother Ali Zhumkhawala|
Beta Chi Theta actively seeks to promote service to humanity through active engagement within the local communities of its respective chapters and colonies. Service to humanity is one of the six pillars that defines the foundation of the organization. Brothers across the country participate in service both directly and indirectly through organizational activities. The fraternity encourages members to give back to the community in which they are fostered, help those in need, and mentor those who look up to them.
Nationally, regionally, and locally, Beta Chi Theta works with many non-profit organizations to support numerous causes that bind them together as a brotherhood. They believe that through outreach they can impact the lives of many around them and simultaneously become closer to one another.
Currently, the fraternity has two national philanthropy initiatives: Be the Change and Beating Heart Disease.
- Beating Heart Disease
In 2009, it was voted that the fraternity's national philanthropy would be cardiac health awareness and research fundraising since it is rampant among all cultures and the number one cause of death in the United States. Since then, they have partnered with American Heart Association to teach communities across the country on how to live a heart-healthy lifestyle and also to raise money for cardiac research and education. The Beating Heart Disease program is a string of week long events thrown in the spring of every year by chapters and colonies in an effort to educate young students on cardiac health and also to raise money for American Heart Association. An additional aspect of this partnership involves the participation of brothers in Heart Walks, which are hosted annually across the nation by American Heart Association.
- Be The Change
In addition, the brothers of Beta Chi Theta have partnered annually with SAALT (South Asian Americans Leading Together) to host Be The Change Days of Service on university campuses across the nation. Be The Change is an annual occurrence in the fall of each year that pays tribute to the life of Mahatma Gandhi. Gandhi once said to "be the change you wish to see in the world." This partnership with SAALT allows the members of the fraternity to recruit people for volunteer work in their circles and positively influence their communities.
"Above all else, Brotherhood"
North-American Interfraternity Conference
On April 23, 2006, Beta Chi Theta became the first nationally recognized South-Asian based fraternity through its acceptance of membership into the North-American Interfraternity Conference (NIC). Additionally, at seven years of age, it is also one of the youngest fraternities ever to become a member of the NIC (in NIC's 100 year history).
- Alpha Chapter - University of California, Los Angeles
- Beta Chapter - Baylor University Waco Texas
- Gamma Chapter - California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
- Delta Chapter - University of Oklahoma
- Epsilon Chapter - University of California, Riverside
- Ζeta Chapter - University of California, San Diego
- Eta Chapter - The University of Texas at Austin
- Theta Chapter - Vanderbilt University
- Iota Chapter - Purdue University West Lafayette, Indiana
- Lambda Chapter - University of Minnesota
- Mu Chapter - University of Florida Gainesville
- Pi Chapter - Texas A&M University
- Rho Chapter - The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Sigma Chapter - Rutgers University New Jersey
- Omega Chapter - University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Κappa Colony - Florida Atlantic University
- Νu Colony - University of Wisconsin–Madison
- Xi Colony - University of Houston
- Omicron Colony - Emory University
- Tau Colony -
- Upsilon Colony - University of Texas at Dallas
- Phi Colony - University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign
- Psi Colony - University of Connecticut
- Alpha Alpha Colony - Northeastern University
- Chi Chapter - This Chapter is reserved for those brothers who have passed away.