|Born||Gavin Miles McInnes
July 17, 1970
|Alma mater||Carleton University|
A popular new contributor to TheRebel.media , McInnes writes regular columns on Takimag.com, Truth Revolt, and The Federalist. He has published books such as The Death of Cool and has written, produced, and acted in films such as How to be a Man . In addition, he creates video content for Fox Digital, and appears regularly as a guest on Fox News.
As a teen, McInnes played in the Ottawa punk band Anal Chinook.
McInnes co-founded Vice in 1994. His role as an editor at Vice led to him being referred to as "the Godfather of hipsterdom" and one of the "primary architects of hipsterdom". He left Vice in 2007 due to "creative differences."
McInnes started the website StreetCarnage.com. He also co-founded an advertising agency called Rooster where he serves as creative director. He currently writes for the web magazine Taki's Magazine. He also writes for the website VDARE.
In an interview in the New York Press, McInnes said that he was pleased that most Williamsburg hipsters are white. He has also been quoted as saying, "I love being white and I think it's something to be very proud of ... I don't want our culture diluted. We need to close the borders now and let everyone assimilate to a Western, white, English-speaking way of life." McInnes later claimed in a letter to Gawker that the interview was done as a prank intended to ridicule "baby boomer media like The Times" . He became the focus of a letter-writing campaign by a black reader, and Vice apologized for McInnes's comments.
In 2009, McInnes convinced a journalist at The Village Voice that he had been knocked out after losing a challenge to an MMA fighter. The footage was actually an outtake from a failed TV pilot.
In 2010, McInnes convinced a journalist at Gawker that he had eaten a bowl of urine-soaked corn flakes after not winning their “Hipster of the Decade” competition. The footage was actually an outtake from a collection of comedy sketches called Gavin McInnes is a Fucking Asshole.
In 2012, McInnes faked a serious car accident for the stand-up comedy movie The Brotherhood of the Traveling Rants. That same year, he published a book of memoirs entitled How to Piss in Public.
In October 2013, McInnes was interviewed by The Huffington Post on a panel about the meaning of masculinity, and said "people would be happier if women would stop pretending to be men", and that feminism "has made women less happy". He explained that "Women are feigning that toughness. We’ve trivialized childbirth and being domestic so much that women are forced to pretend to be men. They’re feigning this toughness, they’re miserable." A heated argument followed when University of Miami law professor Mary Anne Franks responded, and McInnes in his reply loudly called her a "fucking idiot".
In August 2014, McInnes was asked to take an indefinite leave of absence as chief creative officer of Rooster, following online publication at Thought Catalog of an essay about transphobia entitled "Transphobia is Perfectly Natural" (since masked due to "hateful or abusive content") that sparked a Boycott Rooster movement. Rooster stated, "We are extremely disappointed with his actions and have asked that he take a leave of absence while we determine the most appropriate course of action."
In 2005, McInnes married Manhattan-based publicist and consultant Emily Jendrisak. McInnes said in 2013 that, after being an atheist most of his life, fatherhood made him believe in God and become pro-life. He has three children. He is a vegetarian.
- 2006 Vice Guide to Travel — as himself
- 2008 Sophie Can Walk — as himself
- 2009 Asshole — as Vincent Allen
- 2010 A Million in the Morning — as host
- 2013 How to Be a Man — as Mark McCarthy
- 2013 The Brotherhood of the Traveling Rants""— as himself
- 2003 The Vice Guide to Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll (Warner Books)
- 2004 Vice Dos and Don'ts: 10 Years of VICE Magazine's Street Fashion Critiques (Grand Central)
- 2009 Street Boners: 1,764 Hipster Fashion Jokes (Grand Central)
- 2012 How to Piss in Public: From Teenage Rebellion to the Hangover of Adulthood (Scribner)
- 2013 The Death of Cool: From Teenage Rebellion to the Hangover of Adulthood (Paperback version of How to Piss in Public: From Teenage Rebellion to the Hangover of Adulthood) (Scribner)
- "The 'Vice' Boys Are All Grown Up And Working For Viacom". Gawker. November 19, 2007.
- Braiker, Brian (June 20, 2011). "Creating Ads For People Who Hate Ads". Adweek. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- "Emily Jendriasak and Gvin McInnes". Gawker.
- Michael-Oliver Harding (2012), Vice co-founder Gavin McInnes on Montreal junkies, Fox News and the death of cool
- "Vice" Founder Gavin McInnes on Split From Glossy: "It's Like a Divorce," NBC New York. [dead link]
- Haddow, Douglas. "Hipster: The Dead End of Western Civilization," Adbusters (July 29, 2008).
- Pareene. "Goodbyes: Co-Founder Gavin McInnes Finally Leaves 'Vice'," Gawker (Jan. 23, 2008).
- The New York Times
- What Was the Hipster?: A Sociological Investigation. 2010. Harper Collins. Google Books. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- "Letter to Gawker from Gavin McInnes". Gawker. Retrieved 2013-11-01.
- Baron, Zach. "Gavin McInnes Gets Knocked the Fuck Out," Village Voice (May 5, 2009).
- "The Immersionist with Gavin McInnes," Relevant Pictures. Accessed April 5, 2011.
- Kamer, Foster. "Hipster of the Decade Loser Gavin McInnes Accepts 'Award' by Eating Bowl of Pissed-In Cereal," Gawker (January 2, 2010).
- "Gavin McInnes is a Fucking Asshole DVD". Street Carnage. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- Grant, Drew. "Gavin McInnes Wrecks Car, 'Loses' Best Friend in An Attempt to Win Back Dignity After Observer Punking (Video)," The Observer (March 27, 2012)
- Gavin McInnes: An In-depth Interview With “The Godfather of Hipsterdom” | Thought Catalog
- "Gavin McInnes: ‘Feminism has Made Women Less Happy’". ABC News. 2013-10-22. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- Buxton, Ryan (October 21, 2013). "Gavin McInnes Launches Expletive-Laden Tirade About Women In The Workplace (VIDEO)". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- Ciara LaVelle Thu., Oct. 24 2013 at 10:30 AM (2013-10-24). "UM Law Professor Mary Anne Franks Issues Epic Feminist Beatdown on Vice Founder Gavin McInnes". Miami New Times. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- McInnes, Gavin (August 12, 2014). "Transphobia is Perfectly Natural". Thought Catalog (The Thought & Expression Company). Click "Continue" link at the very bottom of the warning page to view original article.
- Monllos, Kristina (August 15, 2014). "Rooster CCO Gavin McInnes Asked to Take Leave of Absence Following transphobic Thought Catalog essay, boycott". Adweek. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- The Daily Caller