|No. 34 – Milwaukee Bucks|
|Position||Shooting guard / Small forward|
December 6, 1994 |
Sepolia, Athens, Greece
|Listed height||6 ft 11 in (2.11 m)|
|Listed weight||205 lb (93 kg)|
|NBA draft||2013 / Round: 1 / Pick: 15th overall|
|Selected by the Milwaukee Bucks|
|2012–2013||Filathlitikos (Greece 2nd)|
|Career highlights and awards|
Giannis Antetokounmpo (Greek: Γιάννης Αντετοκούνμπο, Greek pronunciation: [ˈʝanis a(n)detoˈku(m)bo]; born December 6, 1994) is a Greek professional basketball player who currently plays for the Milwaukee Bucks of the National Basketball Association (NBA).
Antetokounmpo started playing basketball with the youth teams of Filathlitikos in Greece. He began his professional career in Greece's 2nd-tier basketball league, the Greek A2 League, with the senior men's club of Filathlitikos in the 2012–13 season. When he turned 18, in December 2012, he signed a four-year contract with the Spanish League club CAI Zaragoza. The contract with Zaragoza was worth €250,000 euros net income per season, and ran through the 2013-14 to 2016–17 seasons, with the last season being an option year. The contract also included an affordable buyout clause that could be exercised by any team that plays in the NBA or the Euroleague. He decided to stay with the Filathlitikos for the remainder of the 2012–13 season.
During the Greek A2 League 2012–13 season, Antetokounmpo shot 46.4% from the field overall (62.1% on 2 PT field goals), 31.3% on 3 PT field goals, and 72.0% on free throws, while averaging 22.5 minutes per game. He averaged 9.5 points, 5.0 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 0.7 steals, and 1.0 blocks per game, in 26 games played. He also had a PIR of 8.3. He was also selected by the coaches as a special participant in the 2013 Greek League All-Star Game. Even though he was not actually selected as an all-star, the coaches let him play in the game as a treat for the fans. In addition to playing in the 2nd-tier Greek A2 League during the 2012-13 season, he also played in Greece's 5th-tier ESKA league category for youth competitions. Because of this situation, during the 2012-13 season, he played in two separate league competitions for the same club in Greece, playing both for the senior men's team of Filathlitikos and for one of the team's junior squads.
On April 28, 2013, it was announced that Antetokounmpo was entering his name into the 2013 NBA draft, as an early entrant. He fulfilled his draft projections as a first round pick by being selected 15th overall by the Milwaukee Bucks. On July 30, 2013, he signed his rookie scale contract with the Bucks. On May 22, 2014, he was named to the 2014 NBA All-Rookie second team.
On October 16, 2014, the Bucks exercised their third-year team option on Antetokounmpo's rookie scale contract, extending the contract through the 2015–16 season.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
Antetokounmpo was a member of the Greek Under-20 national basketball team. He played with Greece's Under-20 national team at the 2013 FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship, where he shot 36.4% from the field, and averaged 8.0 points, 7.6 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 1.0 steals, and 1.4 blocks per game.
Antetokounmpo is also a member of the senior men's Greek national basketball team. He played with Greece's senior national team at the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup, where he averaged 6.3 points and 4.3 rebounds per game, while shooting 45.8% from the field.
Antetokounmpo was born in Sepolia, Athens, Greece to Nigerian parents. Although he is of Nigerian descent, he does not have Nigerian citizenship. He officially gained full Greek citizenship on May 9, 2013, with the official legal spelling of his name being Giannis Antetokounmpo. His nickname is "The Greek Freak".
Giannis has two older brothers, Francis and Thanasis (b. 1992), as well as two younger brothers, Kostas and Alexis. Thanasis was Giannis's teammate when he was with Filathlitikos, and he also played with him in the 2013 Greek League All-Star Game, while Francis has played football professionally in Nigeria and Kostas started playing officially for Filathlitikos during their 2013–14 season. All of the Antetokounmpo brothers have played basketball in the Filathlitikos system.
Awards and accomplishments
- BBVA Rising Star: 2014
- NBA All-Star Weekend Skills Challenge Contestant: 2014
- NBA All-Rookie Second Team: 2014
- National Basketball Association portal
- List of oldest and youngest National Basketball Association players
- List of European basketball players in the United States
- FIBAEurope.com Giannis Antetokounmpo (Greece).
- Sport24.gr Έλληνες πολίτες οι αδερφοί Αντετοκούμπο (Greek).
- BasketballPlus.nl 18 jarige Giannis Adetokunbo naar CAI Zaragoza (Dutch).
- ACB.com Basket CAI Zaragoza se hace con los derechos de Giannis Adetocunbo (Spanish).
- NYTimes.com A Hunger for a Better Life May Lead to the N.B.A.
- FIBA.com GIANN ANTETOKOUBO | Season 2012/2013 - Accumulated Stats Tab.
- Filathlitikos 2012-2013 Statistics.
- Sport24.gr Όλα τα αστέρια στο All Star Game (Greek).
- Adetokunbo enters the draft
- Bucks sign Neal, Antetokounmpo
- Bucks' Antetokounmpo named to NBA's All-Rookie second team
- Bucks Exercise Rookie Scale Contract Options on Antetokounmpo and Henson
- U20men.FIBAEurope.com Giannis Antetokounmpo (Greece).
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup – Giannis Antetokounmpo.
- FIBA.com Adetokoubo's whirlwind saga just starting.
- Γίνονται Έλληνες οι Αντετοκούμπο (Greek).
- Giannis Antetokounmpo received today his Greek citizenship. As of today, this shall be the official name/surname as it appears in ID/Passport.
- Soaringdownsouth.com Brad’s Beat: 6’10 PG Known As The “Greek Freak” Turning Heads in NBA Draft.
- Draftexpress.com NBA Draft Prospect of the Week: Giannis Adetokunbo.
- 2014 NBA Draft Results: Knicks select Thanasis Antetokounmpo with 51st pick
- Career statistics and player information from NBA.com, or Basketball-Reference.com
- Giannis Antetokounmpo on Twitter
- Facebook.com Profile
- Milwaukee Bucks Bio - Giannis Antetokounmpo
- FIBA.com Profile
- Eurobasket.com Profile
- DraftExpress.com Profile
- NBADraft.net Profile