Kenneth City, Florida
|Kenneth City, Florida|
|Pinellas County and the state of Florida|
|• Total||0.7 sq mi (1.9 km2)|
|• Land||0.7 sq mi (1.9 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||20 ft (6 m)|
|• Density||7,100/sq mi (2,600/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0294454|
Kenneth City is a town in southern Pinellas County, Florida, between St. Petersburg and Pinellas Park, in the United States. Kenneth City was founded in 1957 by Sidney Colen, a local developer, who named the city after his son Kenneth Colen. The population was 4,980 at the 2010 census. The town, small in area and set amidst dense residential developments mostly with otherwise indistinguishable town boundaries, has earned a reputation as a speed trap town for the vigorous enforcement of its lower speed limits.
Kenneth City is located at .(27.816036, -82.715341)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.7 square miles (1.8 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,400 people, 1,952 households, and 1,169 families residing in the town. The population density was 6,155.2 inhabitants per square mile (2,392.7/km²). There were 2,175 housing units at an average density of 3,042.6 per square mile (1,182.8/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 88.05% White, 3.34% African American, 0.18% Native American, 4.84% Asian, 1.91% from other races, and 1.68% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.66% of the population.
There were 1,952 households out of which 22.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.8% were married couples living together, 13.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.1% were non-families. 34.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 20.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.14 and the average family size was 2.72.
In the town the population was spread out with 18.6% under the age of 18, 5.5% from 18 to 24, 25.1% from 25 to 44, 22.3% from 45 to 64, and 28.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years. For every 100 females there were 78.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 74.4 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $33,962, and the median income for a family was $42,161. Males had a median income of $30,986 versus $26,960 for females. The per capita income for the town was $19,498. About 7.7% of families and 9.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.1% of those under age 18 and 8.0% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Anne Lindberg and Carolyn Edds (July 4, 2007). "Cozy Kenneth City celebrates 50th". Retrieved May 9, 2012.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Kenneth City town, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved May 9, 2012.
- Anne Lindberg (April 9, 2007). "Antispeeding vigilante gets ticket for her efforts". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved May 9, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.