List of lighthouses in England
This is a list of lighthouses in England. It includes lighthouses which are no longer in use as a light but are still standing. It does not include all the many harbour and pier-head lights around the country.
Details of several lighthouses and lightvessels in current use in England (together with Wales, the Channel Islands and Gibraltar) can be found on the website of Trinity House. Locations of major lighthouses are shown on the adjacent map.
- 1 Cheshire
- 2 Cornwall
- 3 Cumbria
- 4 Devon
- 5 Dorset
- 6 Durham
- 7 Essex
- 8 Gloucestershire
- 9 Greater London
- 10 Hampshire
- 11 Isle of Wight
- 12 Kent
- 13 Lancashire
- 14 Lincolnshire
- 15 Merseyside
- 16 Norfolk
- 17 Northumberland
- 18 Redcar and Cleveland =
- 19 Isles of Scilly
- 20 Somerset
- 21 Suffolk
- 22 East Sussex
- 23 West Sussex
- 24 Tyne and Wear
- 25 East Yorkshire
- 26 North Yorkshire
- 27 References
- 28 External links
- Hale Head lighthouse (formerly Lancashire; no longer in use).
- Godrevy Lighthouse, St Ives (still listed by Trinity House, but light now mounted separately)
- Lizard Lighthouse
- Longships Lighthouse, Longships, Land's End
- Pendeen Lighthouse
- St Anthony's Lighthouse, St Anthony Head
- Tater Du Lighthouse
- Trevose Head Lighthouse
- Wolf Rock Lighthouse.
- Hodbarrow lighthouses (the newer of the two is also known as Haverigg lighthouse)
- Maryport Lighthouse
- Rampside Lighthouse (It Isn't a lighthouse, it's a leading light)
- St Bees Lighthouse
- Walney Lighthouse.
- Berry Head Lighthouse
- Bull Point Lighthouse
- Crow Point Lighthouse (minor structure categorized as a lighthouse by Trinity House)
- Eddystone Lighthouse, Plymouth
- Lynmouth Foreland Lighthouse
- Hartland Point Lighthouse
- Smeaton's Tower, moved from Eddystone to Plymouth Hoe in 1882
- Start Point lighthouse
- Lundy Island (Old Light)
- Lundy Island North
- Lundy Island South.
- Portland Bill Lighthouse, Portland Bill, Isle of Portland, Dorset (visitors centre, automated light)
- Old Higher Lighthouse, Portland Bill, Isle of Portland, Dorset (disused from 1906, today a holiday let)
- Old Lower Lighthouse, Portland Bill, Isle of Portland, Dorset (disused, today a bird observatory)
- Portland Breakwater Lighthouse, Portland Harbour, Isle of Portland, Dorset (actively used).
- Anvil Point Lighthouse, Anvil Point, Dorset.
- High & Low Lighthouses, Dovercourt Bay
- Gunfleet Lighthouse, Frinton-on-Sea
- Low Lighthouse, Harwich - now a maritime museum
- High Lighthouse, Harwich - now a television & radio museum.
- River Severn Navigation lights (including Chapel Rock, Lyde Rock, Slime Road Range Rear, Berkeley Pill Range Front & Rear).
- Bow Creek Lighthouse (Used for lighting trials for Trinity House).
Isle of Wight
- South Foreland High/Low Lighthouses
- North Foreland Lighthouse
- Dungeness: two lighthouses (only one in operation).
- Beach Lighthouse (Fleetwood)
- Pharos Lighthouse (Fleetwood)
- Plover Scar lighthouse, Cockersands (also known as Abbey lighthouse).
- East & West Lighthouses, Sutton Bridge (never in use as lights - East Lighthouse is the former home of Sir Peter Scott)
- Killingholme High Light, Killingholme Low Lights.
- Bidston Lighthouse (no longer in use)
- Hilbre Island Lighthouse off the Wirral Peninsula (minor structure categorized as a lighthouse by Trinity House)
- Hoylake upper lighthouse (no longer in use as a light)
- Leasowe Lighthouse, Wirral Peninsula (no longer in use as a light)
- New Brighton Lighthouse (also known as Perch Rock), Wirral Peninsula (no longer in use).
- Cromer Lighthouse
- Gorleston (Range Rear) Lighthouse
- Happisburgh Lighthouse
- Old Hunstanton Lighthouse (no longer in use)
- Winterton Lighthouse (no longer in use).
- Bamburgh lighthouse
- Coquet Island Lighthouse, off Amble
- Farne Lighthouse, Farne Islands
- Staple Island Lighthouse, Farne Islands (no longer in use)
- Longstone Lighthouse, Farne Islands
- Guile Point and Heugh Hill, Lindisfarne (minor structures, but categorized as lighthouses by Trinity House).
Redcar and Cleveland =
- South Gare Lighthouse (privately owned).
Isles of Scilly
- Bishop Rock Lighthouse
- Peninnis Lighthouse
- Round Island Lighthouse
- St. Agnes Lighthouse (no longer in use).
- Black Nore lighthouse, Portishead
- Portishead Point lighthouse (also known as Battery Point lighthouse), Portishead, Somerset
- Burnham-on-Sea Low
- Burnham-on-Sea High (Pillar Lighthouse)
- Burnham-on-Sea Round Tower
- St Andrew's Church, Burnham-on-Sea
- Watchet Harbour Lighthouse, Watchet.
- Beachy Head Lighthouse
- Belle Tout lighthouse (decommissioned - replaced by Beachy Head)
- Royal Sovereign lighthouse.
- Shoreham lighthouse (also called Kingston Buci).
Tyne and Wear
- Souter Point Lighthouse (open to public)
- St. Mary's Lighthouse (no longer in use as a lighthouse, open to public).
- Flamborough Head Lighthouse (two lighthouses although the older one never lit)
- Spurn Lighthouse (no longer in use as a lighthouse)
- Withernsea Lighthouse (no longer in use as a lighthouse, open to public).
- Rowlett, Russ. "The Lighthouse Directory". University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. see Lighthouses of the British Isles
- lighthousesRus.org (England Page)