Martin Bangemann (born 15 November 1934 in Wanzleben) is a German politician and a former leader of the FDP (1985–1988). He studied Law in Tübingen and Munich, earned a Dr. jur. (equivalent to J.S.D.) in 1962, and qualified as an attorney in 1964. He is married and has five children.
Bangemann was a member of the European Parliament from 1973 to 1984, from 1976 to 1979 he was vice-chairman, from 1979 to 1984 chairman of the Liberal and Democratic Group. Moreover, he was vice-chair of the Committee on Budgets from 1978 to 1979.
Bangemann was the German Federal Minister of Economics from 1984 to 1988.
In 1989, Bangemann joined the European Commission. He was Commissioner for the internal market and industrial affairs in the Delors Commission from 1989 to 1995. He was then Commissioner for Industrial affairs, Information & Telecommunications Technologies in the Santer Commission from 1995 to 1999.
As commissioner he led a "high-level group" that drew up the report "Europe and the Global Information Society"  in 1994. This document contained recommendations to the European Council on the measures that Europe should take regarding information infrastructure. It became known as the "Bangemann report" and influenced many EU policies.
- ^ http://www.europarl.europa.eu/members/archive/alphaOrder/view.do?language=EN&id=933
- ^ Europe and the global information society: Recommendations to the European Council. Version hosted on I*M Europe, by Directorate-General XIII of the European Commission.
- ^ "http://aei.pitt.edu/1199/ Report on Europe and the Global Information Society: Recommendations of the High-level Group on the Information Society to the Corfu European Council. Bulletin of the European Union, Supplement No. 2/94.]" University of Pittsburgh - Archive of European Integration (AEI).
- ^ Hugh Mackay, Wendy Maples, Paul Reynolds: Investigating the Information Society. London/New York: Routledge & The Open University, 2001, p. 8.
- Walter, Franz (June 2005). "Die Integration der Individualisten. Parteivorsitzende in der FDP" [The Integration of the Individualists. Party Chairmen in the FDP]. In Forkmann, Daniela; Schlieben, Michael. Die Parteivorsitzenden in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland 1949–2005 [The Party Chairmen of the Federal Republic of Germany 1949–2005]. Göttinger Studien zur Parteiforschung. VS Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften. pp. 151–154. ISBN 3-531-14516-9.
- Dittberner, Jürgen (2005). Die FDP: Geschichte, Personen, Organisation, Perspektiven ; eine Einführung [The FDP: History, People, Organization, Perspectives; an Introduction] (in German). VS Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften. p. 72. ISBN 3-531-14050-7.
- "MEP Profile:Martin Bangemann". European Parliament. Retrieved 25 September 2010.
- "Martin Bangemann". European Commission. Retrieved 25 September 2010.