Marymount High School
|Marymount High School|
That all may have life, and have it to the full
|10643 W Sunset Boulevard
Los Angeles (Holmby Hills/Bel Air), California, (Los Angeles County), 90077
|Type||Private, all-girls high school, Catholic Independent School|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Head of school||Jacqueline L. Landry|
|Average class size||15|
|Student to teacher ratio||7:1|
|Color(s)||Blue and white|
|Athletics conference||Sunshine League|
|Accreditation(s)||Western Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Average SAT scores||1982|
|Publication||Sunset Magazine (literary and art magazine)|
|Tuition||$28,900 (9th-11th grades 2013-2014) / $29,500 (12th grades 2013-2014)|
|Asstistant Head of School: Dean of Studies||Kathleen Macdonell|
|Assistant Head of School: Operations and Human Resources||Sandy Smith|
|Admission Director & Director of Summer Programs||Sarah Jallo|
|Athletic Director||Elizabeth Driscoll|
|Designated:||September 28, 1982|
Marymount High School is an independent, Catholic, all-girls, college-preparatory high school located in the Holmby Hills/Bel Air neighborhood of Los Angeles, USA. It sits across from the University of California, Los Angeles campus at 10643 Sunset Boulevard. The school's main administration building, chapel and auditorium are listed as Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments.
About 400 young women are enrolled at the school. Marymount was established in 1923 by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary. Mother Joseph Butler of the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary founded the school in 1923. Marymount students and teams are known as the "Sailors."
Marymount High School is one of twenty members of the RSHM International Network of Schools worldwide.
Marymount offers a broad, college preparatory curriculum, including seventeen Advanced Placement courses and dozens of electives and co-curriculars, from Model United Nations to Robotics, in addition to a core curriculum. Average class size is fifteen. Marymount is one of the first all-girl schools in the United States to deploy a 1:1 laptop initiative with Apple MacBook Pro computers and has been an "Apple Distinguished School" since 2010. Marymount is a member of the Online School for Girls.
Marymount fields 24 teams in 15 sports, including:
- Beach Volleyball
- Golf (practices on Bel Air golf course, adjacent to the campus)
- Track and Field
- Water Polo
Students with an interest in the performing arts may participate in one or more of the following co-curricular activities:
- Fall play and/or spring musical productions (performers, stage crew, lighting, sound, costumes, set decoration). The casts of the play and musical are called The Marymount Players
- Spring Arts Festival - featuring dance, drama, choir, and music ensembles
- Dance Ensemble
- Dance Class
- DTASC - Drama Teachers' Association of Southern California
- Concert Choir
- Jazz/Rock Ensemble
Students with an interest in Visual Arts have access to the following classes:
- Digital Design
- Drawing and Painting
- 3D Studio Arts
ASB(Associated Student Body), the student government organization at Marymount High School, supports and serves the traditions and community at Marymount High School. Each Spring, the Marymount student body elects their ASB officers:
- Activities Coordinators
- Publicity Coordinators
- Athletics Coordinators
- Technology Coordinators
- Performing Arts Coordinator
- Visual Arts Coordinator
- Campus Ministry Coordinator
Commitment to social justice and community service is an integral part of Marymount's philosophy and mission. Students learn to live the school's mission through meaningful leadership training and service learning.
- Marymount’s Community Service Requirement: - All Marymount students engage in a minimum 100 hours of community service prior to their graduation.
- 'Days of Service': All members of the freshman, sophomore and junior classes participate in a day of service learning and reflection in the spring.
- Kingdom Fair: This junior year program was designed to help students integrate classroom knowledge and service organization opportunities in a peer education exhibit.
- Campus Ministry Service Events- The Campus Ministry Team promotes various service activities throughout the year. These events include activities such as the AIDS Walk, a spring book drive, and unique one-time service opportunities.
Tuition and financial aid
Tuition for the 2013-2014 academic school year is approximately $28,900 USD. Approximately 25 percent of all Marymount students receive need-based aid.
- Mariska Hargitay, class of 1980, actress
- Marlo Thomas, class of 1956 actress
- Tatyana Ali, class of 1997, actress
- Mia Farrow, class of 1963, actress
- Bianca Lawson, class of 1997, actress
- Giada De Laurentiis, class of 1989, chef
- Kourtney Kardashian, class of 1997, television personality
- Kim Kardashian, class of 1999 television personality
- Khloe Kardashian, television personality
- Julie Berman, class of 2002, actress
- Princess Camilla, Duchess of Castro, class of 1989, industrialist
- Patricia Hitchcock, class of 1946, actress
- Tennessee Thomas, class of 2003, drummer for the band The Like
- Raquel Alessi, class of 2001, actress
- Kristin Klein, class of 1988, volleyball player
- Marie Digby, class of 2001, singer
- Hanna Aideed, singer