Matt Cohler, January 2008
|Born||March 27, 1977 (age 37)
New York, NY
|Alma mater||Yale University|
|Employer||General Partner at Benchmark|
|Known for||Former VP of Product Management, Facebook|
Matt Cohler (born March 27, 1977) is an American venture capitalist based in Silicon Valley. He worked as Vice President of Product Management for Facebook until June 2008 and is currently a general partner at Benchmark. Cohler was named to the 2012 Forbes Midas List of top technology investors.
Education and early career
Early in his career, Cohler worked in China and was a management consultant at McKinsey & Company. He befriended Reid Hoffman and went on to become a founding member of Hoffman's startup LinkedIn. Cohler was vice president and general manager at LinkedIn and was considered CEO Hoffman's right-hand man.
Cohler was one of the first five employees hired at Facebook. He was Facebook's vice president of product management and worked with the team during many of its critical growth phases. He continues to act as a "special advisor" to Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. In 2008, he left Facebook and became the youngest general partner at Benchmark.
At Benchmark, Cohler has backed the firm’s investments in Dropbox, Asana, Quora, Domo, Edmodo, ResearchGate, 1stdibs, Peixe Urbano, Couchsurfing, Baixing, and Zendesk. In 2011, he led a $7 million round of funding for Instagram, which agreed in April 2012 to be acquired by Facebook for $1 billion. In March 2014, Cohler led Benchmark's investment in Xapo Ltd., a Bitcoin wallet/insured cold storage vault.
- Ha, Anthony (June 19, 2008). "Facebook's Matt Cohler leaves for Benchmark Capital". VentureBeat. Retrieved January 11, 2011.
- Kincaid, J. (October 29, 2008). "VCs Speak on the Economic Downturn: Batten Down the Hatches", TechCrunch.
- "#68 Matt Cohler". The Midas List Tech's Top Investors. Forbes. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- Tsotsis, Alexia (25 July 2012). "Path’s Dave Morin And Benchmark Capital’s Matt Cohler Will Join Us At Disrupt SF!". TechCrunch. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- Swisher, Kara (June 19, 2008). "Facebook's Matt Cohler to Benchmark". AllThings D. Retrieved January 11, 2011.
- Sengupta, Somini (9 May 2012). "A Circle of Tech: Collect Payout, Do a Start-Up". The New York Times. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- Matt Cohler at CrunchBase. Retrieved on 2009-30-04.
- Kirkpatrick, David. The Facebook Effect. p. 105.
- Ante, Spencer (June 19, 2008). "Big Loss: Matt Cohler Leaves Facebook". Businessweek. Retrieved January 11, 2011.
- Bort, Julie. "The "Facebook Mafia" Is On The Rise In Silicon Valley". News. Business Insider. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- McCarthy, Caroline (2 February 2011). "Path, Instagram, and what the 'Facebook mafia' sees". CNET. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- Levy, Ari (27 April 2012). "Benchmark Capital Scores With Instagram, Demandforce and IPOs". Bloomberg. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- Saitto, Serena (14 March 2014). "Benchmark Backs Bitcoin Secure Storage Provider Xapo". Bloomberg. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "Introducing Xapo". Blog post. Xapo Blog. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- Arrington, Michael (28 March 2010). "Quora Has The Magic: Benchmark Invests at $86 Million Valuation". TechCrunch. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- Arrington, Michael (8 September 2010). "Benchmark And Accel Partners Reach Across The Atlantic To Fund ResearchGATE". TechCrunch. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- Lacy, Sarah (August 24, 2011). "CouchSurfing Raises $7.6 M; Will Users Cry "Sell Out"?". TechCrunch. Retrieved August 24, 2011.
- "Board of Governors". Board & Staff. San Francisco Symphony. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Our supporters". FWD.us. Retrieved 2013-04-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matt Cohler.|
- Matt Cohler on LinkedIn
- Matt Cohler on Twitter
- Matt Cohler on Quora
- Matt Cohler on CrunchBase
- Matt Cohler profile on LittleSis.org