Melbourne tram route 70
|Waterfront City Docklands – Wattle Park|
A2 273 on route 70
|System||Melbourne tramway network|
|Start||Waterfront City Docklands|
Melbourne CBD (Flinders St)
|Length||16.5 km (10.3 mi)|
|Zone(s)||Zone 1 for the entire route|
|Annual patronage||5.4 million|
|Timetable||Route 70 timetable|
|Map||Route 70 map|
Tram route 70 is a public transport service in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. It is operated by Camberwell Depot and runs from the Waterfront City Docklands to Wattle Park in Box Hill South. Like most tram routes in Melbourne, it is entirely within myki ticketing Zone 1.
The route runs along Docklands Drive, Harbour Esplanade, Flinders Street in the city, behind Melbourne Park (alongside the railway tracks) at Richmond and then links up to Swan Street, running along Riversdale Road through Hawthorn and Camberwell to the eastern end of Wattle Park, terminating at Elgar Road.
At the city end the tram once ran along Swan Street until reaching the Swan Street Bridge, then ran along Batman Avenue following the Yarra River until it reached the city terminus beside Princes Bridge, opposite Flinders Street Station. The current route was adopted as part of the Exhibition Street Extension project announced by the State Government in April 1998 and completed in October 1999, where a four-lane divided road was built over the Jolimont railyards, enabling Batman Avenue west of Melbourne Park to be closed.
Starts at Waterfront City Melbourne Docklands (stop D11), then runs via:
- Docklands Drive/Harbour Esplanade, Melbourne Star Ferris wheel
- Flinders Street (stop D6-8)
- Melbourne Exhibition Centre (stop D6)
- Flinders Street
- Spencer Street, tram routes 75, 96, 109 and 112 (stop 1) (70a special event trams start/terminate here)
- King Street, Melbourne Aquarium (stop 2)
- Market Street, Banana Alley Vaults, tram route 55 (stop 3)
- Elizabeth Street, tram routes 19, 57 and 59 (stop 4)
- Flinders Street Station (stop 4-5)
- Federation Square, St Paul's Cathedral, tram routes 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 16, 64, 67 and 72 (stop 5)
- Russell Street, Forum Theatre (stop 6)
- Exhibition Street, tram route 75 (stop 7)
- Melbourne Park
- Swan Street
- Riversdale Road
Ends at Elgar Road, Wattle Park (stop 61).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Melbourne tram route 70.|