|Industry||Bakery, Food Processing|
|Key people||Zoher H Khorakiwala (Chairman), Idris H Khorakiwala (Managing Director)|
|Products||Cakes, Pastry, Chocolate|
Early in the 20th century, two Italian brothers ran a catering service in Mumbai's Fort precinct, which was popular with the city's European residents. In 1958, Monginis catering was taken over by the Khorakiwala family, and became Monginis Foods Limited. In 1971, the company adopted the franchise model of business, with a stated emphasis on localized production for local tastes. It also models itself on the "food boutique" concept, focusing on quality, presentation and service. It has thereby expanded its brand and reach across the country with a total worth of about 950 million rupees by 2012.
Monginis sells ready-made as well as order-made cakes for catering or carry-out. Individual cake slices are also kept in Monginis stores for dine-in customers. The chain sells both Indian and Western savouries, including samosas, puffs, cutlets and doughnuts. Apart from these, snack foods and breads are also sold at Monginis shops. Monginis has a product line for diabetics, and offers themed products during festivals. The Egyptian brand has called itself Monginis bakery producing chocolates, cakes, pastries and oriental sweets. Fast food snacks include more than 50 items. Monginis also produce more than 30 different gateaux.
Monginis also provides accessorized carry-out catering, with telephone and internet ordering options. It counts 558 exclusive franchises in total, and at least one production center each, in 38 cities. Besides Mumbai the company is present in Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Bhubaneswar, Bhiwandi, Chennai, Coimbatore, Delhi, Goa, Hyderabad, Indore, Kochi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Nashik, Pune, Palanpur, Rajkot, Secunderabad, Surat and Vadodara. It is also present in Alexandria, Cairo and Mansoura in Egypt.
- "Retail-Trends :: New-Concepts - Retailing in Bakery: Yet to Get Brownie Points!". Retail.franchiseindia.com. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "Monginis to enter ‘ready to eat' segment". The Hindu Business Line. 2010-01-22. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- India (1999-02-22). "M/s.Monginis Foods Pvt.Ltd". Gmdu.net. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake, Monginis man". domain-b.com. 1999-07-12. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "Monginis Packs A Slew Of Initiatives This Summer To Push Brand Visibility". Financialexpress.com. 2002-04-22. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- Sachin Marya. "Monginis seeks franchisees - Franchise News". News.franchiseindia.com. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "contact us". Monginis.net. Retrieved 2010-07-16.