Muzaffarpur Junction railway station
Indian Railway Station
The main entrance of the station
|Address||Muzaffarpur, Muzaffarpur, Bihar
|Elevation||57 metres (187 ft)|
|Connections||City Bus, Auto-rickshaws, Ferry, Taxi to all important destinations.|
|Structure type||Standard (on ground station)|
|Bicycle facilities||Available (paid)|
|Zone(s)||East Central Railway|
|Owned by||East Central Railway of the Indian Railway|
|Formerly||East Indian Railway|
|Passengers ()||1,00,000 per day|
Muzaffarpur Junction railway station, station code MFP, is a railway station in the Sonpur division of East Central Railway. Muzaffarpur Junction is located in Muzaffarpur city, the headquarters of Muzaffarpur district in the Indian state of Bihar.
|This section requires expansion. (April 2012)|
- New developments
In February 2012, the Indian Railways had planned to set up a Railway Station Development Corporation (RSDC) that will work on improving the major railway stations, including Muzaffarpur Junction, by building and improving passenger amenities. 
There are seven platforms in Muzaffarpur Junction. The platforms are interconnected with foot over bridges (FOB). Platform nos. 5 and 6 are mainly for Hajipur, Sitamarhi, Motihari bound passenger trains and some low priority trains in the direction. Platform nos. 1, 2, 3, 4, 7 cater to most of the trains passing through the junction; platform nos. 1, 2, 3 being the most important.
Sonpur is the divisional headquarters all the trains passing through this route have stoppages here. Several electrified local passenger trains and express trains run from Muzaffarpur to neighbouring destinations. The following is a list of all the trains passing from Muzaffarpur Junction (as of May 10, 2012). The Muzaffarpur Junction railway station, is well connected to most of the major cities in India by the railway network and serves the city with numerous number of trains. Muzaffarpur is well connected to Patna, New Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Howrah, Chennai, Bangalore, Ajmer, Kanpur, Guwahati, Surat, Lucknow, Chandigarh, Jammu, Vishakhapatnam, Raipur, Allahabad, Ranchi, Gwalior, Ahmedabad, Rajkot, Jaipur, Porbander, Kochi and other cities. It is also the originating station for many superfasts and express trains. Sapt Kranti Express, Maur Dhawaj Express etc. having Muzaffarpur Junction as its origin is an ISO 9001:2008 certified train. Dibrugarh-New Delhi Rajdhani Express crosses the junction once a week.:
The nearest airports to Muzaffarpur Junction are:
- "Official Website of Sonpur Division of East Central Railway". Government of India. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- "Railways to set up body to develop stations". The Times of India. February 11, 2012. Retrieved April 27, 2012.
- "Indian Railways Passenger Reservation Enquiry". Availability in trains for Top 100 Booking Stations of Indian Railways. IRFCA. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Work on doubling Sonepur-Chapra rail track begins". The Times of India. June 11, 2002. Retrieved April 27, 2012.
- "Sonpur Junction Details". indiantrains.org. Retrieved April 18, 2012.
- "Trains at Muzaffarpur Junction". India Rail Info. Retrieved April 18, 2012.
- "Muzaffarpur Junction". onefivenine.com. Retrieved March 31, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Muzaffarpur Junction railway station.|
- Muzaffarpur Junction Map
- Official Website of Sonpur Division
- Official website of the Muzaffarpur district