Photo of Peter McConnell in 2010.
|Birth name||Peter N. McConnell|
|Also known as||Peter Mc, Pete McConnell|
|Born||1960 (age 54–55)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
|Associated acts||Clint Bajakian
The Gone Jackals
Peter N. McConnell (born in 1960 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania), also known as Peter Mc, is an American video game composer and musician, best known for his work at LucasArts and composing the Sly Cooper Soundtracks since the second game.
McConnell was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Peter studied music as an undergraduate at Harvard University in the 1980s under Timothy Vincent Clarke, Curt Cacioppo and Ivan Tcherepnin. In Harvard McConnell befriended the future LucasArts composer Michael Land, who composed many of the company's titles, and worked with him at the audio company Lexicon. While beginning his career in the Sound Department at LucasArts, Land needed someone who would both compose and implement music into his second project Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge and McConnell stepped in. McConnell and Land co-invented iMUSE, LucasArts' patented interactive music system.
During his time at LucasArts, McConnell composed many soundtracks for games such as those in the Monkey Island, Indiana Jones and Star Wars series. Notable titles from this time include Grim Fandango, scored with unique Mexican influenced jazz, klezmer and traditional film score style, and Full Throttle, featuring rock soundtrack which McConnell scored with rock group The Gone Jackals. While composing music for these two games, McConnell worked closely with Tim Schafer, who later hired him to compose scores for the titles Psychonauts, Brütal Legend, and Costume Quest for his company Double Fine Productions.
McConnell left LucasArts in 2000, but contributed to Escape from Monkey Island and special edition of The Secret of Monkey Island. Since then, McConnell has composed scores for Psychonauts, Sly 2: Band of Thieves, Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves (about which McConnell says that he was influenced by Henry Mancini works), and Kinectimals.
In 2013, McConnell completed work on Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, with the release of the game in February along with the release of the soundtrack showcasing McConnell's work on the game.
- Grim Fandango Remastered (2015), Double Fine
- Costume Quest 2 (2014), Double Fine
- Broken Age (2014), Double Fine
- Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (2014), PopCap Games
- Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (2013), Blizzard Entertainment
- Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time (2013), PopCap Games
- Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (2013), Sanzaru Games/Sony
- Kinect Disneyland Adventures (2011), Frontier Developments
- Kinectimals (2010), Microsoft
- Costume Quest (2010), Double Fine
- Brütal Legend (2009), Double Fine
- Tornado Outbreak (2009), Konami
- Calling All Cars! (2007), Sony
- Psychonauts (2005), Double Fine
- Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves (2005), Sucker Punch/Sony
- The Bard's Tale (2004), Vivendi Universal Games, Inc.
- Sly 2: Band of Thieves (2004), Sucker Punch/Sony
- Star Wars: Battlefront (2004), LucasArts
- Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (2001), LucasArts
- Escape from Monkey Island (2000), LucasArts
- Star Wars: Force Commander (2000), LucasArts
- Star Wars Episode I: Racer (1999), LucasArts
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance (1999), LucasArts
- Grim Fandango (1998), LucasArts
- Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (1998), LucasArts
- Star Wars: X-Wing Collector Series (1998), LucasArts
- Herc's Adventures (1997), LucasArts
- Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (1997), LucasArts
- Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter: Balance of Power (1997), LucasArts
- Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter (1997), LucasArts
- Star Wars: Yoda Stories (1997), LucasArts
- Afterlife (1996), LucasArts
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (1996), Nintendo Co., Ltd.
- The Dig (1995), LucasArts
- Full Throttle (1995), LucasArts
- Star Wars: Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire (1995), LucasArts
- Star Wars: TIE Fighter (Collector's CD-ROM) (1995), LucasArts
- Star Wars: TIE Fighter (1994), LucasArts
- Star Wars: X-Wing (Collector's CD-ROM) (1994), LucasArts
- Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle (1993), LucasArts
- Sam & Max Hit the Road (1993), LucasArts
- Star Wars: Rebel Assault (1993), LucasArts
- Star Wars: X-Wing (1993), LucasArts
- Star Wars: X-Wing: B-Wing (1993), LucasArts
- Star Wars: X-Wing: Imperial Pursuit (1993), LucasArts
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (1992), LucasArts
- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (1991), LucasArts
- McConnell, Peter (Sep 1999). "Dance of the Dead: The Adventures of a Composer Creating the Game Music for Grim Fandango". Electronic Musician (New York: NewBay Media, LLC) 15 (9): 30–32, 35–36, 38–40, 42. ISSN 0884-4720.
- MySpace profile of Peter Mc.
- According to interview with Peter McConnell in 22/11/2003: "Michael Land and I had been working on projects together since we were at Harvard in the 80's. He really started the Sound Department at LucasArts, and was looking for someone who could both compose and design code, and I guess he figured I would fit the job pretty well. He must have been right, since I ended up working there for nearly 10 years."
- Lucasdelirium.it gives an interview to Peter McConnell.
- Cifaldi, Frank (May 2013). "Farewell Lucasarts". Game Developer (San Francisco: UBM LLC) 20 (5). ISSN 1073-922X.
- Taddie, Michel (Jun 2012). "Skywalker Symphony Orchestra Triumphs at Game Audio Network Guild Awards". International Musician (San Francisco: American Federation of Musicians of the U.S. and Canada) 110 (6): 8. ISSN 0020-8051.
- Jackson, Blair (Jan 2012). "SFP: Sound for Picture - Music Centerstage In Game Releases". Mix (Berkeley, Calif.: New Bay Media) 36 (1): 30–32, 89. ISSN 0164-9957.
- Shamoon, Evan (Nov 2004). "Double Fine; Back in the limelight with a new publisher, new digs, and a multi-platform strategy, Tim Schafer's Psychonauts looks to change the face of gaming one neurosis at a time.". XBN (New York: Ziff-Davis Media Inc.) (20): 78. ISSN 1538-9723.
- Gaughn, Michael (Feb–Mar 2000). "George's world". Stereo Review's Sound & Vision (New York: Source Interlink Companies) 65 (2): 90–96. ISSN 1522-810X.
- Tach, Dave (2015-01-27). "Digital Archeology: How Double Fine, Disney, Lucasarts and Sony Resurrected Grim Fandango". Polygon. Archived from the original on 2015-01-28. Retrieved 2015-01-27.
- McConnell, Peter (Jan 17, 2015). The Score: Grim Fandango composer Peter McConnell. Interview with Gamereactor Staff. Gamereactor. Archived from the original on Jan 28, 2015. Retrieved Jan 28, 2015.
- García, Albert (January 28, 2015). "Grim Fandango no estaba tan muerto". La Vanguardia (in Spanish) (Barcelona).
- McConnell, Peter (February 28, 2013). Peter McConnell On 'Sly Cooper', 'Grim Fandango', And The Future Of Games. Interview with Dan Seitz. Uproxx. Archived from the original on April 27, 2013.
- "Así suena el tema de Hearthstone al estilo MIDI retro - PC". Spain: MeriStation. January 15, 2015. Archived from the original on Jan 28, 2015. Retrieved Jan 28, 2015.
- McConnell, Peter. Interview. Interview with GSoundtracks staff. GSoundtracks. Archived from the original on 2013-06-16. Retrieved Jan 28, 2015.
- McConnell, Peter (March 15, 2014). Interview with Composer, Peter MCConnell. Interview with Sam Hughes. The Sound Architect. Archived from the original on Jan 28, 2015. Retrieved Jan 28, 2015.
- McConnell, Peter (April 20, 2014). Interview with award-winning video game composer Peter McConnell. Interview with David Leavitt. Examiner.com.