Aerial view of Roosendaal
Location in North Brabant
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Jacques Niederer (VVD)|
|• Total||107.16 km2 (41.37 sq mi)|
|• Land||106.42 km2 (41.09 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.74 km2 (0.29 sq mi)|
|Elevation||3 m (10 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||723/km2 (1,870/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Roosendaal [ˈroːzə(n)daːl] ( listen) is both a city and a municipality in the province of Noord-Brabant in southern Netherlands. Together with Nispen it used to form a municipality named Roosendaal en Nispen. On 1 January 1997 the municipalities Roosendaal en Nispen and Wouw merged into the municipality now simply known as Roosendaal.
Towns/villages of the municipality
- Roosendaal (population: 66,760)
- Wouw (4,920)
- Heerle (1,900)
- Nispen (1,440)
- Wouwse Plantage (1,230)
- Moerstraten (660)
The city of Roosendaal
Roosendaal goes back to the 12th and 13th century. The name Rosendaele was first mentioned in a document of 1268. Roosendaal was always a part of North Brabant. In the Middle Ages, Roosendaal grew as a result of the turf business, but the Eighty Years' War (1568–1648) put an end to the growth. Roosendaal and Wouw were suffering from the itinerant combat troops. The troops plundered and ravaged everything they came across. For decades the countryside of Roosendaal was abandoned.
The official International ABBA Fan club has been based in Roosendaal since 1986, and since the turn of the century, the city has also played host to the annual convention of the International ABBA Fan Club where for one weekend every April, hundreds of people from all over the world attend the event.
- Railway station: Roosendaal
The city serves as a regional railway hub: the Zwolle-Roosendaal Intercity service starts and ends here, the international train from The Hague to Brussels calls at Roosendaal, as does the Amsterdam-Vlissingen (Flushing) intercity. There is also a stop-train service to Antwerp.
The Bravis Ziekenhuis Roosendaal is the main general hospital for residents of Roosendaal and surrounding areas. Bravis Ziekenhuis offers specialised medical care provided by a broad team of medical specialists. Special units include: Cardiology, Dermatology, Gynaecology, Oncology, Ophthalmology  and Intensive Care.
Events in Roosendaal
- Draai van de Kaai cycling race
- Annual "International ABBA Day" - A weekend-long event, normally each April, operated by ABBA's official Fan Club which is based in Roosendaal.
- Harry Broos (1898–1954), sprinter
- Antoine Mazairac (1901–1966), cyclist
- Fons Rademakers (1920–2007), filmmaker
- Jean Defraigne (born 1929), politician
- Theo Laseroms (1940–1991), footballer
- George Knobel (1922-2012), footballer
- Ad Konings (born 1956), ichthyologist
- Ben van Beurden (born 1958), CEO, Shell
- Ronny Moorings (born 1961), musician
- Joost Lagendijk (born 1957), politician
- Ingrid van Lubek (born 1971), triathlete
- Jeroen van Damme (born 1972), runner
- Bram Lomans (born 1975), hockey player
- Hendrick Lonck (born 1568), sea captain
- Fritz Kohle (born 1966), filmmaker, lecturer
- Korbett Matthews (born 1972 ), documentary filmmaker, teacher
- Marie-Josee Saint-Pierre (born 1978), film animator
- Sanneke Vermeulen (born 1992), judoka
- "Burgemeester mr. J.M.L. (Jacques) Niederer" (in Dutch). Gemeente Roosendaal. Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 4701NK". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
|Bergen op Zoom||Rucphen|