|Birth name||Choi Seung-hyun (최승현)|
|Also known as||T.O.P, Tempo, Tabi, Bingu TOP|
November 4, 1987 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Origin||Jamsil-dong, South Korea|
|Genres||Hip hop, K-pop, rap|
|Occupations||Rapper, singer, composer, lyricist, beatboxer, actor, record producer, model|
|Associated acts||Big Bang, GD & TOP
|Revised Romanization||Choe Seung-hyeon|
Choi Seung-hyun (Korean: 최승현; born November 4, 1987), better known by his stage name T.O.P (Korean: 탑 - "tap"), is a South Korean rapper, singer, songwriter, model, and actor, best known as a lead rapper of the hip hop Korean boy band Big Bang. He has branched out to act in various dramas and films, including I Am Sam, Iris, Nineteen,71: Into the Fire, and Commitment.
In 2010, T.O.P and bandmate, G-Dragon collaborated to record and release the album GD & TOP (2010). The album saw the release of three singles: "High High," "Oh Yeah", and "Knock Out", all of which have charted within the top three positions of the Gaon chart, with "High High" becoming a chart-topper. Jeff Benjamin from the American music magazine Billboard noted that T.O.P is well known for his low-bass timbre rapping.
- 1 History
- 2 Discography
- 3 Filmography
- 4 Awards and nominations
- 5 Music programs
- 6 TV commercials / advertisements
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Following the release of the band's albums and singles, T.O.P. began working on his solo career. In April 2007, he was featured with fellow Big Bang members Taeyang and G-Dragon on singer Lexy's single "Super Fly" for her album Rush. Later that summer, he appeared as an actor in Red Roc’s "Hello" music video. He later became the first member of Big Bang to venture into acting, starring in the KBS2 drama, I Am Sam,. portraying the school's top fighter, Chae Musin. He also took the role of MC of MBC's Music Core on November 10, 2007, only to resign in April of the following year. In 2008, he collaborated with R&B artist Gummy on the song "I'm Sorry" for her album Comfort, veteran singer Uhm Jung Hwa for her single "D.I.S.C.O." and ZiA for her single "I Only See You". That same year, he was also admitted to Dankook University, to the theater department.
T.O.P later put his solo career on hold while he joined his group BIG BANG for their promotional activities. After more than a year of promoting Big Bang's materials, he returned to acting, playing the assassin Vick in the critically acclaimed Korean television drama Iris. T.O.P. also recorded the song "Hallelujah" for the drama's soundtrack with Taeyang and G-Dragon. Following Iris, T.O.P. and his fellow Bigbang member Seungri appeared in the teenage suspense drama, My 19.
T.O.P appeared in the movie, 71: Into the Fire, released on June 2010. He received many good reviews and praises for his acting; and eventually won many actor awards at the end of the year. The movie hit 1 million views in a week, making it the first movie of 2010 to reach that number of views in South Korea. He is also in preparation for his solo debut. During Big Bang's Big Show concert in January 2010, T.O.P. performed his new single "Turn It Up." YG Entertainment released a music video teaser for "Turn It Up" on June 14, 2010 which revealed the release date for the full music video to be June 21, 2010. The teaser itself received over 200,000 views within 48 hours of its original posting on YouTube. The official music video was released at noon in South Korea, with over 1,000,000 views and thousands of comments in just a few minutes. He is also the first Korean artist to have his song release worldwide on iTunes. On 29 October 2010, he won the Hallyu Popularity Award in the 47th Grand Bell Film Awards.
In November 2010, YG Entertainment announced T.O.P and bandmate G-Dragon would release a collaboration album under the name "GD and T.O.P". Preceding the release of the album, the duo held a world-wide premiere showcase for their album at Times Square in Yeongdeungpo of Seoul, South Korea, which was also broadcast live on YouTube. To promote their album, the duo released three singles: "High High," "Oh Yeah," and "Knock out." All three singles preceded the release of the album. The singles attained commercial successes: "Knockout" was a chart topper while "Oh Yeah" and "HighHigh" both peaked at #2 and #3 respectively. The album was released on Christmas Eve, and debuted at number one with pre-orders of 200,000 copies.
In October 2011, it was announced that T.O.P. had been tapped as the male lead to star opposite Kim Ha Neul in Absolutely Him, the South Korean remake of Absolute Boyfriend, a Japanese manga about a perfect robot boyfriend that has already been adapted into both a Japanese and Taiwanese live action drama. However, there is no confirmation from both actors' agencies yet. T.O.P featured in English artist Pixie Lott's Japanese album along with fellow member G-Dragon. The song is titled "Dancing On My Own".
T.O.P won the cover of 1st Look Magazine in 2011. The photoshoot took place in Brooklyn, New York and was shot by renowned photographer Hong Jang Hyun. He modeled Calvin Klein's winter military jacket and black jeans. He had also filmed a video for the brand at that time.
In June 2012, T.O.P has been confirmed to star in the upcoming action film, Alumni, with actor Jo Sung-ha. He will play the son of a North Korean spy who is falsely accused. Kim Yoo Jung will play T.O.P.'s little sister in the drama.
The filming of the movie Alumni took over more than a year to finish filming due to a change of the director and Choi Seung Hyun schedule with his group Big bang interfering. During filming of the movie T.O.P suffered an injury on the back of his hand. On September 21, T.O.P was filming a combat scene that took place near a piece of glass. He unfortunately hurt his hand on a glass fragment and is reported to have been admitted to the hospital for surgery on the same day. Filming of the movie had to be stopped for a few weeks, but despite his injury he continued to be with Bigbang throughout their world tour.
The movie finished filming on January 21, 2013 in Yongin City, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea. The climax between five actors in the movie was filmed on January 21 in Yong-In, Gyeonggido. It was an important scene where T.O.P tried to protect his little sister and his friend. He had to show his wide range of acting abilities as he had to take care of both the action and emotions in the scene. At the end of the filming, the main actors blew out candles on a cake to celebrate the end of the filming. T.O.P said, “Everyone worked hard for a long time. I’m happy it ended well. I was happy while I was a part of this ‘Alumni’ project“. Han Ye Ri commented, “All the actors and staff worked so hard“. Yoon Je Moon commented, “I had fun filming with young actors, the young staff in a fun and youthful environment“. Jo Sung Ha added, “I had fun filming with the hoobae actors. I hope the audience has fun watching the movie.” Kim Yoo Jung expressed her disappointment that the filming was over, and said, “I wish can act with these people again.” Alumni will be released in the fall of 2013.
On October 5, 2013 he won the Rookie Award at the Asia Star Awards the official party of the Busan International Film Festival (BIFF) for his character in Alumni. The only Korean actor that won an award in the ceremony, which gave away awards in four categories.
- Collaboration albums
|2006||"Big Boy" (T.O.P solo)||—||Since 2007|
|2007||"Friend" (Feat. Taeyang)||—||MBC TV Drama [Friend, Our Legend] OST|
|"Act Like Nothing's Wrong" (Feat. Kim Jieun)||—||Always|
|2009||"Hallelujah" (Feat. G-Dragon & Taeyang)||18||Iris OST|
|2010||"Turn it Up"||11||Digital Single|
|2011||"Of All Days"||89||GD & TOP|
|2013||"Doom Dada"||4||Digital Single|
Featured and collaboration singles
|2006||"Forever with You" (with G-Dragon Ft. Park Bom)||—||Bigbang Vol.1|
|"We Belong Together" (with G-Dragon & Vxp Ft. Park Bom)||—|
|2007||"Buckwild" (NBK Gray Ft. T.O.P)||—|
|2008||"I'm Sorry" (Gummy Ft. T.O.P)||—||Comfort|
|"D.I.S.C.O" (Uhm Jung Hwa Ft. T.O.P)||—||D.I.S.C.O|
|"All I See is You" (ZiA Ft. T.O.P)||—||Road Movie|
|"Forever with You" English version (with G-Dragon Ft. Park Bom)||—||With U|
|2010||"Digital Bounce" (Se7en Ft. T.O.P)||—||Digital Bounce|
|2011||"High High" (with G-Dragon)||1||GD & TOP|
|"Oh Yeah" (with G-Dragon Ft. Park Bom)||2|
|"Knock Out" (with G-Dragon)||3|
|"Intro" (with G-Dragon)||—|
|"Baby Goodnight" (with G-Dragon)||13|
|"Don't Go Home" (with G-Dragon)||22|
|2012||"Dancing On My Own" (Pixie Lott Ft. T.O.P & G-Dragon)||—||Young Foolish Happy (Deluxe Edition)|
|2013||"Bubble Butt" (Major Lazer Ft. Bruno Mars, G-Dragon, T.O.P, Tyga and Mystic)||78||Free the Universe (Asian Edition)|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that region.|
|2008||Story of Men||Himself||Cameo appearance|
|2010||71: Into the Fire||Oh Jang-beom|
|2011||Iris the Movie||Vick||Film adaption of Iris for Japan|
|2013||Commitment||Lee Myeong-hoon / Kang Dae-ho|
|2014||Tazza 2||Ham Dae Gil||Sequel of Tazza: The High Rollers|
|2007||I Am Sam||Chae Mu-sin||KBS2|
Music video appearance
|2007||Red Roc - "Hello"||Himself|
|2008||Gummy - "I'm Sorry"||Himself|
|Uhm Jung Hwa - "D.I.S.C.O"||Himself|
|2011||Gummy - "I'm Sorry" (Japanese version)||Himself|
Awards and nominations
|2010||47th Grand Bell Awards||Hallyu Popularity||71: Into the Fire||Won|
|Best New Actor||Nominated|
|8th Korean Film Awards||Best New Actor||Nominated|
|Style Icon Awards||New Icon (Movie) ||Won|
|31st Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best New Actor||Won|
|Max Movie Award||Best New Actor ||Won|
|5th Asian Film Awards||Best New Actor||Nominated|
|2011||47th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actor ||Won|
|2013||Soompi Awards||Best Music Video||Doom Dada||Nominated|
|allkpop Awards||Best Idol Turned Actor||T.O.P||Nominated|
|17th BIFF Asia Star Awards||Rookie Awards||Commitment||Won|
|2014||50th Baeksang Arts Awards||Popularity Award||Nominated|
|Singapore Entertainment Awards||Most Popular K-pop Music Video||Doom Dada||Nominated|
|2011||January 9||"High High (Feat G-Dragon)"|
Mnet's M! Countdown
|2010||December 30||"Oh Yeah (Feat G-Dragon)"|
|2011||January 6||"High High (Feat G-Dragon)"|
TV commercials / advertisements
- North Face 
- Endoser Reebok
- Endoser Millet
- Sunny Ten Sparkling Ade 
- Baskin Robbins 31
- French Cafe
- Calvin Klein Jeans
- (Korean)"Choi Seung Hyun YG Profile" (in Korean). YG Entertainment. Retrieved 2009-05-26.
- Benjamin, Jeff. "BIGBANG in America: Behind the Scenes With the K-Pop Boy Wonders". Billboard. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- (Korean)"빅뱅 8월 신보 발매, 태양 솔로 데뷔는 미정". Newsen. 2007-07-18. Retrieved 2010-02-04.
- 탑(T.O.P), 단국대 입학 증명사진 화제. Etoday.co.kr. Retrieved on 2012-01-13.
- Chung Kang, Hyun (November 26, 2009). "New drama finds a gripping formula for success". Joongang Daily. Retrieved December 3, 2009.
- Han Sang, Hee (May 24, 2009). "'Iris' to Bring Spy Story to Small Screen". Korea Times. Retrieved December 3, 2009.[dead link]
- "Big Bang duo star in murder movie". JoongAng Daily. May 22, 2009. Retrieved December 3, 2009.
- Yim, Seung-hye (2010-02-05). "Actor Kwon Sang-woo injured while filming fight". JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- (Korean)"탑-대성, 빅뱅 콘서트서 솔로곡 첫 공개". Osen. 2010-01-31. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- (Korean)"빅뱅 탑 콘서트서 첫 솔로곡 뮤비 깜짝 공개 ‘올 상반기 활동’". Newsen. 2010-01-31. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- Hicap, Jonathan M. (October 30, 2010). "'Poetry' wins best film at 47th Daejong Film Awards". Manila Bulletin. Manila Bulletin Publishing. Retrieved November 6, 2010.
- "G-Dragon and Top to Release Duet Album in December". KBS Global. 2010-11-30. Retrieved 2011-01-20.
- Kim, Jessica (2010-12-15). "Big Bang T.O.P, G-Dragon pose at album showcase". 10asia. Retrieved 2011-01-20.
- Kim, Jessica (2010-12-15). "G-Dragon and T.O.P hold world premiere showcase for duo unit". 10asia. Retrieved 2011-01-20.
- Kim, Jessica (2010-12-24). "Big Bang unit G-Dragon and T.O.P release third title track". 10asia. Retrieved 2011-01-20.
- "Big Bang duo on TV today". Korea JoongAng Daily. International Herald Tribune. Retrieved January 20, 2011.
- Kim, Heidi. "IU "Good Day" stays atop Gaon chart for 4th week". 10asia. Retrieved January 20, 2011.
- Kim, Heidi. "IU's "Good Day" takes charge of Mnet chart for 4th week". 10asia. Retrieved January 20, 2011.
- "Gaon Chart Search: GD & TOP". Gaon Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved October 31, 2010.
- "'발매 D-2' GD·탑 유닛 첫앨범, 선주문만 '20만장' (GD&TOP’s album receives 200,000 pre-orders)". Daum (in Korean). Retrieved 2011-01-23.
- "Roles of Kim Ha Neul and TOP in Upcoming Drama Are Not Yet Confirmed". Soompi. 2011-10-18.
- | url = http://www.firstlook.co.kr/?event=cover-event | pages = | accessdate = 2011 |
- "Big Bang’s T.O.P. and Jo Sung Ha Confirmed for "Alumni"". Soompi. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Big Bang’s T.O.P. and Jo Sung Ha Confirmed for "Alumni"". Soompi. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- . allkpop http://www.allkpop.com/article/2012/09/t-o-p-suffers-an-injury-while-filming-for-movie-alumnus#axzz2k04BlknP. Retrieved 11 Nov 2013. Missing or empty
- . allkpop http://asianwiki.com/Commitment_-_Korean_Movie. Retrieved 11 Nov 2013. Missing or empty
- (Korean)"[아츠포토] '시' 윤정희-이창동감독, '대종상영화제' 참석". Arts News. 2010-10-30. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- (Japanese)"ホーム»第47回大鐘賞映画祭授賞式公式観覧ツアー". 韓流コンサート. 2010-10-30. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- (Korean)"8th Korea Film Awards". MBC. 2010-11-10. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- (Korean)Han, Jiyoung (2010-11-18). "올해 스타일아이콘 어워즈, 이병헌-소지섭-신민아 엣지있는 이유는?(종합)". Newsen. Retrieved 2011-02-23.
- (Korean)"제 31회 / 의형제 (쇼박스㈜미디어플렉스, 루비콘픽쳐스㈜, ㈜다세포클럽)". Blue Dragon Film Awards. 2010-11-27. Retrieved 2011-02-23.[dead link]
- (Korean)"제8회 맥스무비 최고의 영화상" [Top of the 8th Max Movie Awards]. Retrieved 2011-03-31.
- (Korean)"5th AFA Nominees & Winners by Nominees". Retrieved 2011-03-31.
- (Korean)"Winners of 47th Baeksang Award". Allkpop. 2011-05-26. Retrieved 2011-05-26.
- (Korean)"[T.O.P becomes the only Korean celebrity to be awarded at BIFF's 'Asia Star Awards'". Big Bang Updates. 2013-10-06. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- Big Bang’s T.O.P and Lee Yeon Hee model for ‘North Face’. Allkpop.com. Retrieved on 2012-01-13.
- "빅뱅, 써니텐 광고 모델 발탁 "트렌디한 개성 어울려"".
- "지마켓, 2012년 전속모델 빅뱅 발탁".
- "빅뱅 카리스마, NII 광고 촬영장 압도". inews24 (in Korean). 2008-08-14.
- "빅뱅, 베스킨라빈스와 재계약…크리스마스 케이크 편 촬영" (in Korean). 2008-11-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to T.O.P. (entertainer).|