The Raw & the Cooked (album)
|The Raw & the Cooked|
|Studio album by Fine Young Cannibals|
U.S.: February 1989
|Genre||College rock, soul|
Fine Young Cannibals
|Fine Young Cannibals chronology|
The Raw & the Cooked is the second and final album by Fine Young Cannibals, released in 1988. The title of the album comes from the book of the same name ("Le Cru et le Cuit" in French) written by French anthropologist Claude Lévi-Strauss.
The cover of Buzzcocks' "Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)" originally appeared on the soundtrack for the 1986 Jonathan Demme film Something Wild. Three songs from the album – "Good Thing", "Tell Me What" and "As Hard As It Is" – first appeared in the 1987 film Tin Men, where the Fine Young Cannibals portrayed a band in a nightclub. These three songs have a retro-soul style consistent with the film's 1963 Baltimore setting.
After the band asked MCA Records to get Prince to produce tracks to complete the album, the label countered with producer David Z, who had worked with Prince and is the older brother of Bobby Z. of The Revolution. FYC and David Z recorded three tracks together at Paisley Park Studios to complete the album, including the hit "She Drives Me Crazy".
The Raw & the Cooked reached number one in three different countries: United States, United Kingdom and Australia. Selling over two million copies, The Raw & the Cooked included two US number one songs "She Drives Me Crazy" and "Good Thing".
The album won Best British Album at the 1990 Brit Awards.
All Songs Written By Gift/Steele, except where noted.
Side one – Raw
- "She Drives Me Crazy" – 3:36
- "Good Thing" – 3:22
- "I'm Not the Man I Used to Be" – 4:19
- "I'm Not Satisfied" – 3:51
- "Tell Me What" – 2:47
Side two – Cooked
- "Don't Look Back" – 3:40
- "It's OK (It's Alright)" – 3:32 (Cox/Gift/Steele)
- "Don't Let It Get You Down" – 3:23
- "As Hard as It Is" – 3:14
- "Ever Fallen in Love" (Pete Shelley) – 3:54
The album package details the production credits as follows:
- "She Drives Me Crazy", co-production between David Z and FYC
- "Good Thing", production by Steele/Cox/Gift, remixed by Julian Mendelsohn
- "I'm Not the Man I Used to Be", production by Steele/Cox/Gift
- "I'm Not Satisfied", co-production between David Z and FYC
- "Tell Me What", production by Steele/Cox/Gift, remixed by Julian Mendelsohn
- "Don't Look Back", production by Steele/Cox/Gift, remixed by Bruce Lampcov
- "It's OK (It's Alright)", co-produced (sic) by David Z
- "Don't Let It Get You Down", production by Steele/Cox/Gift
- "As Hard as It Is", production by Steele/Cox/Gift, remixed by FYC and Dave Anderson
- "Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)", co-production between Jerry Harrison and FYC
|Australian Albums Chart||1|
|UK Albums Chart||1|
|1989||US Billboard 200 Chart Albums Chart||1|
- Additional personnel
- Jools Holland – Piano on "Good Thing"
- Jimmy Helms, George Chandler & Jimmy Chambers – Backing Vocals on "Good Thing", "Tell Me What" & "It's OK (It's Alright)"
- Martin Parry – Drums on "Tell Me What"
- Simon Fowler – Backing vocals on "Don't Look Back"
- Graeme Hamilton – Trumpet on "Don't Let It Get You Down" & "As Hard As It Is"
- Jenny Jones – Drums & Backing Vocals on "As Hard As It Is"
- Gavin Wright – Violin on "As Hard As It Is"
- Bridgette Enver – Saxophone on "As Hard As It Is"
- Fine Young Cannibals – The Raw & The Cooked. In: discogs.com
- Strong, Martin Charles, ed. (2002), The Great Rock Discography (6th ed.), Canongate Books Ltd., p. 845
- All Music Guide to Soul, Backbeat Books, 2003, p. 240
- IMDB: Tin Men (1987) Soundtrack
- Mix Online: Fine Young Cannibals' "She Drives Me Crazy"
- Allmusic review
- Robert Christgau review
- Rolling Stone review
- Sputnikmusic review
Like a Prayer by Madonna
|Billboard 200 number-one album
3 June – 21 July 1989
Batman (soundtrack) by Prince
Technique by New Order
|UK number one album
18 February 1989 – 24 February 1989
A New Flame by Simply Red
Beaches (soundtrack) by Bette Midler
|Australian ARIA Albums Chart number-one album
10–16 July 1989
Hysteria by Def Leppard