Toonami's official logo in Asia
|Launched||1 December 2012|
|Owned by||Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific, Inc.
(Time Warner Inc.)
|Slogan||Home of the Superheroes (unofficial)|
|Country||Indonesia, Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, Sri Lanka, India , Philippines, Taiwan|
|Sister channel(s)||Cartoon Network Asia, Boomerang|
|Cignal Digital TV (Philippines)||Channel 36|
|Indovision (Indonesia)||Channel 47|
|Astro (Malaysia)||Channel 641 (HD) (Coming Soon)|
|CTH (Thailand)||Channel 143|
|PSI (Thailand)||Channel 90|
|GMMZ (Thailand)||Channel 265|
|TrueVisions (Thailand)||Channel 802|
|DishHD (Taiwan)||Channel 560|
|G Sat (Philippines)||Coming Soon|
|Dream Satellite TV (Philippines)||Coming Soon|
|StarHub TV (Singapore)||Channel 315|
|SkyCable (Philippines)||Channel 42 (Digital)|
|Destiny Cable (Philippines)||Channel 42 (Digital)|
|Cablelink (Philippines)||Channel 214|
|Cable TV Hong Kong (Hong Kong)||Channel 30|
|First Media (Indonesia)||Channel 126|
|DIGI Cable (Mumbai, India)||Channel 416|
|[IN Digital] (Nagpur,India)||Channel 333|
|MediaNet (Maldives)||Channel 203|
|now TV (Hong Kong)||Channel 446|
|Singtel TV (Singapore)||Channel 224 (HD)|
|HyppTV (Malaysia)||Channel 560 (KidsCo has ceased tTransmission on 14 February 2014 at 0000 and is effective on 14 February 2014)|
Toonami is a television channel that launched in Asia on 1 December 2012. It is operated and distributed in Asia by Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific, Inc., a Time Warner company. Although the brand carries the same name as the programming block Toonami available elsewhere in the world, the Toonami channel in Asia is available 24 hours a day. Toonami's Asia logo is different from that used elsewhere, with many different branded promos.
Toonami's on-air content
Toonami is billed as the "ultimate home of the superhero" and "a dedicated destination for action enthusiasts". With content also available on its website, the brand promises a multi-platform experience. Featured action franchises include Young Justice, Dragon Ball Z, and Batman: The Brave and the Bold. The programming line-up includes Cartoon Network original series such as Generator Rex and Ben 10: Alien Force. The channel is available in English, but with Mandarin Chinese and Thai options in Taiwan and Thailand, respectively.
Turner's Asia Pacific MD and Senior VP, Sunny Saha, claims the brand is created "for fans, by fans" and audiences are invited to connect with Toonami via Twitter, Facebook and YouTube where regular video content is shared with an online following.
Toonami Asia's YouTube channel is divided into featured playlists. In January 2013, these playlists included: Justice League Unlimited, Wolverine & The X-Men, Deltora Quest, Ben 10: Alien Force, Generator Rex, Mix Master Final Force and Toonami Teasers (a selection of on-air promos, bumpers and sizzle reels).
One month after the launch of Toonami, its Facebook page had more than 28,000 likes. Its Twitter feed has 250 subscribers since October 2012.
Availability in Asia Pacific
Toonami is available in markets including Indonesia, Philippines, India, Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan and Maldives . Turner will be looking to expand the number of markets where Toonami will be on-air.
Confirmed cable operators are:
- Singapore – Cable operator: StarHub, Channel 315; Singtel TV, Channel 224
- Philippines – Cable operators: SkyCable, Channel 42 (Digital); Cignal Digital TV, Channel 36; Destiny Cable, Channel 42 (Digital); Cablelink, Channel 214; G Sat, Coming Soon; Dream Satellite TV, Coming Soon;
- Hong Kong – Cable operators: Now TV, Channel 446; Cable TV Hong Kong, Channel 30
- Indonesia – Cable operators: First Media, Channel 126; Indovision, Channel 47; Aora TV, Channel 115; TelkomVision, Channel 307; Topas TV, Channel 136
- Malaysia – Cable TV Hypp TV, Channel 566
- Taiwan – Cable operator: DishHD, Channel 560(Are be ceased)
- Thailand – Cable operator: CTH, Channel 143; PSI, Channel 90; GMMZ, Channel 265; DTV, Channel 6; IPM, Channel 90; TrueVisions, Channel 802
- Maldives – Cable distributor: MediaNet, Channel 203
- India – Cable distributor: DIGI Cable MUMBAI, Channel 416
A number of "teaser" videos were created to raise awareness during the launch period. They were filmed in Hong Kong, Jakarta and Kuala Lumpur, and are still available on the Toonami Teasers playlist on YouTube. The majority of the videos are shot in a POV style featuring a mundane situation captured on an amateur video, which then pan out to reveal a spaceship, a robot, a superhero or alien.
To kick off Toonami’s launch in January 2013, fans are invited to play an active part in the channel’s origins which centres on NAMI, an artificial lifeform from the future. For an indefinite entry period, viewers must watch a short video and then submit their own ideas as to how to complete the background to NAMI’s story. Writers are advised to provide a submission through the Toonami website, on what they think the story should be. The winner with the best concept will be produced into an animated clip and a unique comic book.
To aid competition entrants, the following information about NAMI was placed on the contest website. "It is the year 2099 and the world is at the brink of destruction as dark forces spread throughout the planet. Led by an evil villain, the age of heroes is at its end. NAMI, an AI capable of interfacing with other machines is the planets last hope of survival. Her mission; alter the timeline and ensure that the future is not lost. Uploading her Central Processing Unit to a time capsule shaped in the form of a sphere, NAMI sets course to travel 86 years in the past – a milestone in the age of heroes."
To further assist, entrants were provided with some question to think about regarding NAMI's backstory:
- What happened? Why did the age of heroes end?
- Who is the villain or dark force and what are his powers?
- What is his origin e.g. born through peoples’ fears or alien to our planet?
- What are his goals?
- Where does NAMI’s adventure begin and who aids her in her quest?
- How did they meet and how will they ensure the future is not lost?
- Does the villain enter our timeline and why?
- Can NAMI live our ordinary life in our time or must she stay a secret?
Toonami kicked off its arrival in Singapore with an event called TOONAMI INCEPTION ’13 on Saturday, 23 February 2013 at *SCAPE. From 1–9 pm, in an all-day, all-play action-packed party, fans were invited to enter a world inhabited by superheroes via illusion art displays and an augmented reality booth. Visitors shot hoops with basketball team, the Singapore Slingers, and got branded with show logos at the Graffiti Zone. There was live hip-hop performances throughout the day, as well as B boys and girls, and music from DJ Adonis and DJ Gravity.
Videos containing the story of the character NAMI have been being released and as of now, 2 are out to the general public and another is on its way. And it has been confirmed that the main hosts of the original American Toonami, TOM and SARA, live in the same universe as NAMI. And that Glenn Bartlett, the man in charge at Toonami (Asia) has shared his interest of having their paths cross in the future.
There are currently 13 games available on the Toonami Asia website. They are listed under the following sections: Ben 10: Alien Force, Generator Rex, Deltora Quest, Hot Wheels Battle Force 5 and Justice League Unlimited. The Flash games are playable through the browser. Many of these are also available from the Cartoon Network Asia site.
- Young Justice Invasion
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold
- Dragon Ball Z
- Dragon Ball Z Kai
- Ben 10
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Season 1–3)
- The 99
- Super Hero Squad
- Iron Man: Armored Adventures
- Hot Wheels: Battle Force 5
- Wolverine and the X-Men
- Ben 10: Alien Force
- Samurai Jack
- Deltora Quest
- Teen Titans
- Megas XLR
- Generator Rex
- Justice League Unlimited
- The Secret Saturdays
- Kamen Rider Dragon Knight
- Mix Master Final Force
- Young Justice
- Xiaolin Showdown
- Max Steel
- Sym-Bionic Titan
- Metal Fight Beyblade
- Ben 10: Ultimate Alien
- Superman: The Animated Series
- The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
- Ben 10: Omniverse
- Turner launching Toonami across Asia / TBI Vision
- Toonami and Cartoonito to bow in Asia December 1 » Kidscreen
- Toonami Makes Its Debut on Screens Around Asia – Anime News Network
- Toonami, Cartoonito Move to Southeast Asia
- Toonami adds to Asian launch | News | C21Media
- Toonami Asia – Get Toonami Now!
- Official website
- Video clips and Toonami promo content on YouTube
- Toonami Asia on Twitter
- Toonami Asia on Facebook