|Launched||26 January 1999|
|Owned by||Discovery Networks Western Europe|
|Picture format||16:9, 576i (SDTV)|
~0.0% (+1) (July 2014 , BARB)
|Formerly called||Discovery Civilization (1999-2007)
Discovery Knowledge (2007-2010)
|Sister channel(s)||Animal Planet
Discovery Home & Health
|Timeshift service||Discovery History +1|
Channel 536 (+1)
|Virgin Media||Channel 222
Channel 223 (+1)
|Smallworld Cable||Channel 522|
|UPC Ireland||Channel 212|
|Virgin TV Anywhere||Watch live (UK only)|
|UPC Horizon||Watch live (Ireland only)|
Discovery History is a channel with programming about history from Discovery Networks Western Europe.
The channel was initially known as the Discovery Civilization Channel, later dropping 'Channel' from the name, and was devoted to documentaries regarding history and civilizations, historic, ancient or present. On 1 November 2007, Discovery Civilisation was re-branded as Discovery Knowledge, by Heavenly. The new channel was still focused on history and natural history, but the schedule now included programming on engineering, crime and technology.
After just over three years, on 7 November 2010, Discovery Knowledge was rebranded as Discovery History. The idea behind this rebranding was to take the channel's focus back to becoming "the only UK channel dedicated to factual history", to counter the fact that its competitors History and Yesterday had begun showing more reality and scripted programming, respectively.
- Industrial Revelations
- Finding the Fallen
- Time Team
- Planes That Never Flew
- Wartime Secrets with Harry Harris
- World War 1 in Colour
- Unsolved History
- Aircraft Stories
- The Tower
- Century of Warfare
- "Discovery launches Knowledge channel". Digital Spy. 20 September 2007.
- "Discovery Knowledge". Heavenly. Retrieved 8 November 2010.[dead link]
- "Discovery to launch dedicated history channel". Media Week. 7 October 2010.
- "AETN loses High Court battle with Discovery". Broadcast. 11 February 2013. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- Discovery Channel UK
- Discovery History presentation in The Ident Gallery
- Discovery Knowledge presentation on TVARK
|This article on a United Kingdom television channel is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|