Uzo Aduba attended Boston University, where she competed in the 55-meter dash and the 200-meter dash. She began earning recognition for her acting in 2003, with a performance in Translations of Xhosa at the Olney Theatre Center for the Arts earned her a Helen Hayes Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress in a Play. Her Broadway debut was in 2007 as Toby in Coram Boy. She was a member of the Original Revival Cast of Godspell at the Circle in the Square Theatre from 2011 through 2012. Her first television appearance was on Blue Bloods in 2012. She also played the mother of the title character of Venice at The Public Theater in New York.
I auditioned for the show back in late July or early August of . I had been auditioning that summer for more television and film [after doing much theater]. I'd read a lot of scripts and I remember reading "Orange Is the New Black," and it was at the head of the pack. I remember thinking, "Wow, that is really good, I would love to be a part of that." I went in and auditioned for another part, and my representatives called me about a month later and they were like, "Hi, we have some really good news. You remember that audition you went on for 'Orange Is the New Black'? You didn't get it." I go, "So… okay, what's the good news?" They said they wanted to offer me another part, Crazy Eyes. I was like, "What in my audition would make someone think I'd be right for a part called Crazy Eyes?" But to be honest, when I got the script for it, it felt like the right fit.
|2012||Project Runway: All Stars||Herself||Episode: "Puttin' On The Glitz"|
|2012||Blue Bloods||Nurse||Episode: "Nightmares"|
|2013||Orange Is the New Black||Suzanne "Crazy Eyes" Warren||11 episodes
Satellite Award for Best Cast – Television Series
Nominated — Satellite Award for Best Supporting Actress – Series, Miniseries or Television Film
- "L.A. Times: 'Orange Is the New Black's' Uzo Aduba on a good road as Crazy Eyes".
- "Boston University Meet Results". UMassAthletics.com. Undated. Retrieved 2013-10-27.
- "Outstanding Supporting Actress, Resident Play – 2004". (Awards and nominations) Theatre Washington. Retrieved 10-27 27-13.
- "Uzo Aduba". Internet Broadway Database. Retrieved 10-27 27-13.
- "Meet the Cast: Aduba Ave.". Godspell.com. Retrieved 2013-07-28.
- "Of Shakespeare and Superheroes". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2013-07-28.
- "Venice, review, Off-Broadway, New York Theatre". newyorktheatreguide.com. Retrieved 2013-07-28.
- "Orange Is the New Black’s Uzo Aduba on Crazy Eyes, Flirting Techniques, and Peeing on the Floor". vulture.com. Retrieved 2013-07-28.
- Aduba in Ryan, Maureen (August 23, 2013). "'Crazy Eyes' From 'Orange Is The New Black' Talks Flirting, Jodie Foster And That Infamous Scene". HuffingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2013-10-27.