Winthrop Harbor, Illinois
|Motto: Cornerstone of Illinois|
|Area||4.76 sq mi (12 km2)|
|- land||4.67 sq mi (12 km2)|
|- water||0.09 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||1,416 / sq mi (547 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Winthrop Harbor is a village in Lake County, Illinois, United States. The population was 6,742 at the 2010 census. It is located along the northern border of Illinois and is part of the Chicago metropolitan area. Winthrop Harbor is known for its North Point Marina. With moorage over 1,500 boats, it is the largest marina on the Great Lakes. Nearly one million visitors take advantage of the marina, its associated beaches and other recreational facilities every summer.
According to the 2010 census, the village has a total area of 4.76 square miles (12.3 km2), of which 4.67 square miles (12.1 km2) (or 98.11%) is land and 0.09 square miles (0.23 km2) (or 1.89%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 6,670 people, 2,370 households, and 1,884 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,548.0 people per square mile (597.5/km²). There were 2,435 housing units at an average density of 565.1 per square mile (218.1/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 93.79% White, 0.57% African American, 0.49% Native American, 1.90% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 1.51% from other races, and 1.71% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.54% of the population.
There were 2,370 households out of which 40.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.8% were married couples living together, 8.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.5% were non-families. 17.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.81 and the average family size was 3.17.
In the village the population was spread out with 27.4% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 31.2% from 25 to 44, 25.2% from 45 to 64, and 8.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 100.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.8 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $72,795, and the median income for a family was $79,442. Males had a median income of $44,795 versus $32,392 for females. The per capita income for the village was $24,256. About 1.9% of families and 3.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.1% of those under age 18 and 4.2% of those age 65 or over.
- Sheridan Road
- 9th Street
- Lewis Avenue
- Russell Road
- Kenosha Road
The village of Winthrop Harbor has a full-time police department and a part-time fire department.
The Winthrop Harbor Police Department's full-time officers are supplemented by part-time officers in both Patrol and Specialist positions. The department offers the following bureaus: Patrol, Detectives, Sex Crimes, Communications, CyberCrime, Records, and Evidence/Property. In addition, they sponsor and provide dispatch service for The Air-One Emergency Response Coalition, a volunteer Helicopter service for Law Enforcement, Fire/Rescue and Emergency Services in the Northern Illinois, Southern Wisconsin region. The current Chief is Joel Brumlik.
The Winthrop Harbor Fire Department, founded in 1949, has grown from a small volunteer force to a 24-hour a day operation. Currently, part-time employees work overlapping shifts providing a crew 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. These 'on-duty' crews are supplemented with off-duty personnel who respond from home. They work with two engines, a 75 foot ladder truck, two advanced life support ambulances, one brush unit, a rescue boat and a staff and command car. Through automatic aid agreements with the surrounding area, the Village receives optimal emergency service. The current Fire Chief is Brian Haske.
- In a study released on July 30, 2009 by Forbes.com, Winthrop Harbor's North Point Marina was reported as the seventh most polluted beach in the United States based on samples taken in 2008. North Point Marina has been on this list since 2005, exceeding acceptable contamination levels in 61 percent of tests.
- In 2006, a test taken at the local beach stated that this is one of the most polluted beaches on the Great Lakes. It has 89% unhealthy water. (89/100 tests)
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Winthrop Harbor village, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for Places - Illinois". United States Census. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Village of Winthrop Harbor official website
- Winthrop Harbor Chamber of Commerce
- ZBCalendar.com, local community calendar
- Winthrop Harbor Police Department
- Winthrop Harbor Fire Department