Al-Madinah International University
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||Your Gateway to Borderless Learning|
|Rector||Mohammad Khalifa Al-Tamimi|
|Location||Shah Alam (main campus), Selangor, Malaysia|
|Campus||10 international branches|
The Al-Madinah International University (MEDIU; Malay: Universiti Antarabangsa Al-Madinah) is an independent educational institution, located in Selangor, Malaysia. The university was established in 2006, founded on Islamic principles and values. MEDIU is licensed by the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), government of Malaysia. University programs are accredited by the Malaysian Qualification Agency (MQA) . The university aims for knowledge development and intellectual exchange consistent with international level of excellence. The university is managed by Rector Prof. Dr. Mohammad Khalifa Al-Tamimi.
MEDIU offers classes on campus and online.
MEDIU was established in 2006.
- On 20 May 2007, MEDIU was registered and accredited by the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE), Government of Malaysia.
- In 2008, the first intake of students joined the university and faculties and programs were inaugurated such as Islamic Sciences, Languages, Finance and Administrative Sciences, and Computer and Informational Technology and Centre of Languages.
- The number of university’s centres providing services reached nine, in South East Asia, Middle East and Europe.
- The university completed all the procedures to begin face to face learning in scientific and applied fields included computer science, Finance and Administrative sciences, Engineering. In September 2010 the first face to face intake of students joined the university.
- In 2011, the first batch of graduate students attended graduation day in the Faculty of Languages and Faculty of Islamic Sciences.
- In 2012, MEDIU signed a memorandum with Granada International College (GIC) in the field of education development.
- In 2013, MARA approved the registration and sponsorship program for degree level courses in MEDIU in the field of Islamic Sciences and Arabic languages under the MARA study loan scheme.
Establishment and Government Recognition
The idea of establishing Al-Madinah International University was mooted by a group of Muslim scholars. Al-Madinah International University was named after Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah, the city where Muhammad established the capital of the first Islamic state, which is also considered the qiblah for those seeking Islamic knowledge.
MEDIU obtained approval as a university from the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) Malaysia on 26 December 2006 and subsequently was registered on 20 June 2007 (KPT/JPS/DFT/US/B22).
MEDIU operates under Malaysia’s Private Higher Education (MOHE) Act of 1996 (Act 555) which governs its establishment and the administration.
Al-Madinah International University offers both taught courses and research programs. Presently, thousands of students are enrolled in six faculties namely Faculty of Islamic Sciences, Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Finance & Administrative Sciences, Faculty of Computer & Information Technology, Faculty of Education and Faculty of Languages. Academic programs are designed by scholars with extensive academic and work experience. MEDIU academic programs assist students towards enhancing their current knowledge and skills. University academic programs include following levels of programs:
Programs by Research
MEDIU also offers academic programs by research in various fields of the study. High caliber research supervisors guide and support students to conduct academically advanced and intellectually exciting research to solve critical problems. University’s research programs help students to explore unique and challenging venues in the profession. University offers more than 35 areas of postgraduate research programs at Master's and Doctoral levels.
Methods of study
- On-campus learning
The terminology "On-campus learning" is used in Al-Madinah International University (MEDIU) concept to identify educational programs for which the student has to be at a campus at a specific time to follow the programs, with the assistance of the teacher, professor, or teaching assistant. See MEDIU Academic Staff
This method is based on an authentic system of learning and evaluation process. Students physically appear in midterm and final-term exams in authorized exam centers of their respective countries, finalized by the University. The learning method includes all forms of electronically supported learning and teaching, including Edtech. Students have to participate in classes through technology, they are required to meet the minimum requirement (70%) of class attendance.
University relationship with global institutions and universities
MEDIU has signed memorandums of understanding with 21 global institutions and universities including:
- Arees University (USA)
- University of Knowledge (KSA)
- East Asia Foundation (Philippines)
- Multimedia University (Malaysia)
- Ibn Khaldun University (Indonesia)
- El-Fetra Foundation (Netherlands)
This cooperation takes several forms; exchange of faculty and students between MEDIU and other universities of the world, use of experts from foreign universities to review the University’s programs and cooperation in scientific research programs and community service.
All students refer to their learning centers periodically to see the exam schedule, related matters and other important announcements, through their own learning centers
- LC Saudi Arabia
- LC Kuwait
- LC Egypt
- LC London
- LC Morocco
- LC Makassar
- LC Yogyakarta
- LC Thailand
- LC Malaysia
- Faculty of Islamic Sciences
- Faculty of Languages
- Faculty of Computer and Information Technology
- Faculty of Finance & Administrative Sciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Center of Languages
- Saudi Arabia
- Sharma/Singh Virdee, Yojana/Honey. "EGYPT: Alternatives sought after universities close". universityworldnews.com. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "Al-Madinah International University (MEDIU)". mediu.edu.my. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "Al-Madinah International University (MEDIU) in Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia". 123university.net. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "Al-Madinah International University". afterschool.my. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- Ministry of Education, Government of Malaysia: http://www.moe.gov.my/pdf/MOHE/tempat%20pengajian%20mybrain15.pdf. Retrieved on 21 May 2015
- Malaysian Qualifications Agency: http://www.mqa.gov.my/mqr/english/eakrbyipts.cfm. Retrieved on 21 May 2015