Wawasan Open University
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Universiti Terbuka Wawasan|
|Location||Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia|
|Colours||Light Green, and Dark Green|
Wawasan Open University(WOU; Malay: Universiti Terbuka Wawasan) is a private university in Malaysia that provides working professionals access to affordable, quality higher education via open distance learning (ODL), allowing them to study while they continue in their jobs.The University spread its wings in September 2013 to offer full-time degree programmes for STPM school leavers and diploma holders at its Main Campus in Penang.
WOU aims to maintain the highest institutional standards and achieved a Tier-5 or "Excellent" rating by the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) in the SETARA local university ranking exercise. All WOU programmes are accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) and approved by the MOHE.
There are currently more than 50 programmes offered for part-time undergraduate and postgraduate study at WOU in such fields as management, accounting, banking and finance, sales and marketing, psychology, liberal studies, English studies, construction management, electronics, manufacturing, and education.
The University also offers six (6) full-time, on-campus learning Bachelor's degree programmes in Penang in the fields of management, accounting, sales and marketing, banking and finance, logistics and supply chain management, and computer systems and networks.
Vice-Chancellor and Chief Executive Officer
Professor Dato’ Dr Ho Sinn Chye is the third Vice-Chancellor of Wawasan Open University (WOU), having taken office on 1 October 2012.
The former Chief Justice of Malaysia, Tun Mohamed Dzaiddin Abdullah, a former Chief Justice of Malaysia, was formally installed as the 3rd Chancellor of Wawasan Open University (WOU) on 7 December 2013.
The Pro-Chancellor is Tan Sri Dr Koh Tsu Koon, former Chief Minister of Penang and former President of Parti Gerakan Rakyat Malaysia. He is also presently the Chairman of the University's Board of Governors, taking over from Tan Sri Emeritus Prof Gajaraj Dhanarajan in March 2017.
There are four Schools under Wawasan Open University:
- School of Science and Technology
- School of Education, Languages and Communications
- School of Business and Administration
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
WOU also conducts learning, training and research through its:
- Centre for Graduate Studies
- Centre for Professional Development and Continuing Education (PACE)
- Institute for Research and Innovation (IRI)
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2017)|
- "Full Members of Asian Association of Open Universities (AAOU)". Asian Association of Open Universities (AAOU). Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Members of International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE)". International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE). Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Third Vice Chancellor of Wawasan Open University".
- "3rd Chancellor of Wawasan Open University".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wawasan Open University.|