List of universities in Malaysia
This is a list of universities in Malaysia. Universities in Malaysia are generally categorised as public and private universities. Private universities include locally established universities and campuses of foreign universities.
The list below is classified by the two main categories, sequentially ordered by their locations according to states. For the purpose of this list, institutions of higher education that are authorised to confer their own degrees but do not have the status of universities are included under the sub-classification of university college (including institutions not classified as educational institutions under the Education Act 1996). Other institutions of higher education which do not have the authority to confer their own degrees are listed in a separate article. There might be some duplication in both lists as some institutions provide accredited training and education in multiple sectors are regulated by both bodies.
In the case of institutions without official translations of their names in English or common used name by the local media, the translation provided by the Association of Commonwealth Universities is used, barring which the most common usage is provided.
Public universities and polytechnics
Public universities in Malaysia are funded by the Government and are governed as self-managed institutions. Apart from the University of Malaya and the MARA University of Technology which were established by two separate enabling Acts of Parliament, the other public universities in Malaysia were created by executive order as per the provisions of the Universities and University Colleges Act 1971 [Act 30] (online version as at 1 August 2012). Until recently, the Ministry of Higher Education was responsible for seven institutions bearing the title "University College". These have since been upgraded to full universities and there are currently no public university colleges.
|Unofficial Name in English||Name in Malay||Acronym||Foundation||Location||Link|
|University of Malaya||Universiti Malaya||UM||1905||Kuala Lumpur
Nilam Puri, Kelantan
|International Islamic University Malaysia||Universiti Islam Antarabangsa Malaysia||IIUM||1983||Gombak, Selangor|||
|National University of Malaysia||Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia||UKM||1970||Bangi, Selangor|||
|University of Malaysia Kelantan||Universiti Malaysia Kelantan||UMK||2007||Pengkalan Chepa, Kelantan|||
|University of Malaysia Pahang||Universiti Malaysia Pahang||UMP||2002
|University of Malaysia Perlis||Universiti Malaysia Perlis||UniMAP||2001
|University of Malaysia Sabah||Universiti Malaysia Sabah||UMS||1994||Kota Kinabalu, Sabah|||
|University of Malaysia Sarawak||Universiti Malaysia Sarawak||UNIMAS||1992||Kota Samarahan, Sarawak|||
|University of Malaysia, Terengganu||Universiti Malaysia Terengganu||UMT||1996
(as UPM Terengganu)
|Kuala Terengganu, Terengganu|||
|Sultan Idris Education University||Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris||UPSI||1997||Tanjung Malim, Perak|||
|National Defence University of Malaysia||Universiti Pertahanan Nasional Malaysia||UPNM||1995
|Putra University, Malaysia||Universiti Putra Malaysia||UPM||1931
(as School of Agriculture)
|Islamic Science University of Malaysia||Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia||USIM||1997
|Nilai, Negeri Sembilan|||
|University of Science, Malaysia||Universiti Sains Malaysia||USM||1969||George Town, Penang|||
|Sultan Zainal Abidin University||Universiti Sultan Zainal Abidin||UniSZA||1980
|Kuala Terengganu, Terengganu|||
|Technical University of Malaysia Malacca||Universiti Teknikal Malaysia Melaka||UTeM||2000
|Durian Tunggal, Malacca|||
|University of Technology, Malaysia||Universiti Teknologi Malaysia||UTM||1904
(as Treacher Technical School)
|MARA University of Technology||Universiti Teknologi MARA||UiTM||1956
(as RIDA Training Centre)
|Shah Alam, Selangor|||
|Tun Hussein Onn University of Malaysia||Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia||UTHM||1993
(as Pusat Latihan Staf Politeknik)
|Batu Pahat, Johor|||
|Northern University of Malaysia||Universiti Utara Malaysia||UUM||1984||Sintok, Kedah|||
|Name in Malay||Acronym||Foundation||Type||Location||Link|
|Politeknik Ungku Omar||PUO||1969||Premier Polytechnic (University Status)||Ipoh, Perak|||
|Politeknik Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah||POLISAS||1976||Conventional Polytechnic||Kuantan, Pahang|||
|Politeknik Sultan Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah||POLIMAS||1984||Conventional Polytechnic||Bandar Darul Aman, Kedah|||
|Politeknik Kota Bharu||PKB||1985||Conventional Polytechnic||Ketereh, Kelantan|||
|Politeknik Kuching Sarawak||PKS||1987||Conventional Polytechnic||Kuching, Sarawak|||
|Politeknik Port Dickson||PPD||1990||Conventional Polytechnic||Si Rusa, Negeri Sembilan|||
|Politeknik Kota Kinabalu||PKK||1996||Conventional Polytechnic||Kota Kinabalu, Sabah|||
|Politeknik Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah||PSA||1997||Premier Polytechnic (University Status)||Shah Alam, Selangor|||
|Politeknik Ibrahim Sultan||PIS||1998||Premier Polytechnic (University Status)||Pasir Gudang, Johor|||
|Politeknik Seberang Perai||PSP||1998||Conventional Polytechnic||Seberang Perai, Penang|||
|Politeknik Melaka||PMK||1999||Conventional Polytechnic||Malacca|||
|Politeknik Kuala Terengganu||PKKT||1999||Conventional Polytechnic||Kuala Terengganu, Terengganu|||
|Politeknik Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin||PSMZA||2001||Conventional Polytechnic||Dungun, Terengganu|||
|Politeknik Merlimau||PMM||2002||Conventional Polytechnic||Merlimau, Malacca|||
|Politeknik Sultan Azlan Shah||PSAS||2002||Conventional Polytechnic||Behrang, Perak|||
|Politeknik Tuanku Sultanah Bahiyah||PTSB||2002||Conventional Polytechnic||Kulim, Kedah|||
|Politeknik Sultan Idris Shah||PSIS||2003||Conventional Polytechnic||Sungai Air Tawar, Selangor|||
|Politeknik Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin||PTSS||2003||Conventional Polytechnic||Ulu Pauh, Perlis|||
|Politeknik Muadzam Shah||PMS||2003||Conventional Polytechnic||Bandar Muadzam Shah, Pahang|||
|Politeknik Mukah Sarawak||PMU||2004||Conventional Polytechnic||Mukah, Sarawak|||
|Politeknik Balik Pulau||PBU||2007||Conventional Polytechnic||George Town, Penang|||
|Politeknik Jeli||PJK||2007||Conventional Polytechnic||Jeli, Kelantan|||
|Politeknik Nilai||PNS||2007||Conventional Polytechnic||Negeri Sembilan|||
|Politeknik Banting||PBS||2007||Conventional Polytechnic||Kuala Langat, Selangor|||
|Politeknik Mersing||PMJ||2008||Conventional Polytechnic||Mersing, Johor|||
|Politeknik Hulu Terengganu||PHT||2008||Conventional Polytechnic||Kuala Berang, Terengganu|||
|Politeknik Sandakan||PSS||2009||Conventional Polytechnic||Sandakan, Sabah|||
|Politeknik METrO Kuala Lumpur||PMKL||2011||METrO Polytechnic||Setiawangsa, Kuala Lumpur|||
|Politeknik METrO Kuantan||PMKU||2011||METrO Polytechnic||Kuantan, Pahang|||
|Politeknik METrO Johor Bahru||PMJB||2011||METrO Polytechnic||Johor Bahru, Johor|||
|Politeknik METrO Betong||PMBS||2012||METrO Polytechnic||Betong, Sarawak|||
|Politeknik METrO Tasek Gelugor||PMTG||2012||METrO Polytechnic||Seberang Perai, Penang|||
|Politeknik Tun Syed Nasir Syed Ismail||PTSN||2013||Conventional Polytechnic||Muar, Johor|||
Private universities and university colleges
The establishment of private universities and university colleges were made possible with the passage of the Private Higher Educational Institutions Act 1996 [Act 555] (Online version as at 1 December 2015). Prior to that, private institutions of higher learning existed but were not authorised to confer their own degrees. Instead, they acted as preparatory institutions for students to undertake courses of instructions in preparation for externally conferred degrees.
- Education in Malaysia
- List of post-secondary institutions in Malaysia
- Ministry of Higher Education
- Malaysian Qualifications Agency
- Malaysian Qualifications Framework
- Department of Skills Development
- Lists of universities and colleges by country
- "Public Universities in Malaysia" - Afterschool.my
- "Private Universities in Malaysia" - Afterschool.my
- Attorney General's Chambers: Education Act 1996 [Act 550]
- Association of Commonwealth Universities: ACU members
- Attorney General's Chambers: University Of Malaya Act 1961 [Act 682] (Online version as at 1 May 2013)
- Attorney General's Chambers: Degrees and Diploma Acts 1962 [Act 379] (online version as at 1 December 2011)
- Attorney General's Chambers: Universiti Teknologi MARA Act 1976 [Act 173]
- "Our History". UM Website. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "History of the Founding of the IIUM" Archived 8 February 2017 at the Wayback Machine. IIUM Website. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "FAQS". UKM Website. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "About Universiti Malaysia Kelantan". UMK Website. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "About Us". UMP Website. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "Background". UniMAP Website. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "When was UMS established?". UMS Website. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "Background". UNIMAS Website. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "History of Universiti Malaysia Terengganu". UMT Website. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "UPSI's History"[permanent dead link]. UPSI Website. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "Background" Archived 4 April 2015 at the Wayback Machine. UPNM Website. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "The Story Behind UPM" Archived 8 November 2014 at the Wayback Machine. UPM Website. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "Our History". USIM Website. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "USM Profile". USM Website. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "History". UniSZA Website. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "FAQs" Archived 2 February 2017 at the Wayback Machine. UTeM Website. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "Brief History of UTM" Archived 10 August 2015 at the Wayback Machine. UTM Website. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "Historical Development". UiTM Website. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- Originally established as Pusat Latihan Staf Politeknik (Polytechnic Staff Training Centre) "Establishment History of Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia" Archived 5 September 2010 at the Wayback Machine. UTHM Website. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- "About UUM". UUM Website. Retrieved 6 December 2014.
- Originally established as Global-e-University in 2012
- "Originally established as HELP College". Archived from the original on 2 February 2017. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- Originally established as the Public Works Department Training Centre[permanent dead link]
- Originally established as the International Medical College
- Originally established as INTI College Malaysia
- Originally established as the Limkokwing Institute of Creative Technology
- Originally established as Kolej Universiti Teknologi dan Pengurusan Malaysia (University College of Technology and Management, Malaysia) Archived 15 June 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- "Originally established as the Institute of Telecommunication and Information Technology". Archived from the original on 24 February 2017. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- "Originally established as Systematic College". Archived from the original on 3 February 2017. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- Originally established as Sunway College
- Originally established as Taylor's College
- Originally established as the Canadian Institute of Computer Studies
- "The earliest constituent institute is the Malaysian Institute of Information Technology, first established in 1982 as Institut Infotech MARA (MARA Infotech Institute)". Archived from the original on 13 November 2016. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- "Originally established as Han Chiang College in 1999". Archived from the original on 17 November 2017. Retrieved 16 November 2017.
- "Saito UC History". Saito UC History. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- Originally established as New Era College
- "Originally established by Chinese Community to provide tertiary education in the area at the year of 1975". Archived from the original on 22 March 2017. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- Originally established as the L&G Twintech Institute Of Technology (in Indonesian)
- "New Sabah Times". www.newsabahtimes.com.my. Retrieved 6 April 2017.
- Public University Directory at Department of Higher Education (JPT)
- Private Higher Education Institution (IPTS) List and Statistics at Department of Higher Education (JPT)
- Universities in Malaysia at UniDigest
- Private Universities In Malaysia at Afterschool.my
- Universities in Malaysia at eTawau
- Study in Malaysia at EasyUni
- Full List of Universities in Malayisa at Malaysia University Portal