Aleutians West Census Area, Alaska
Aleutians West Census Area is a census area located in the U.S. state of Alaska. As of the 2010 census, the population was 5,561. It is part of the Unorganized Borough and therefore has no borough seat. Its largest city is Unalaska. It contains most of the Aleutian Islands, from Attu Island in the west to Unalaska Island in the east, as well as the Pribilof Islands, which lie north of the Aleutians in the Bering Sea.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the census area has a total area of 14,116 square miles (36,560 km2), of which 4,390 square miles (11,400 km2) is land and 9,726 square miles (25,190 km2) (68.9%) is water. It borders the Aleutians East Borough to the east.
National protected areas
- Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge (part of the Aleutian Islands and Bering Sea units)
- Aleutian World War II National Historic Area
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,465 people, 1,270 households, and 736 families residing in the census area. The population density was 1.24 people per square mile (0.48/km²). There were 2,234 housing units at an average density of 0.51/sq mi (0.20/km²). The racial makeup of the census area was 40.04% White, 3.02% Black or African American, 20.95% Native American, 24.59% Asian, 0.62% Pacific Islander, 7.32% from other races, and 3.46% from two or more races. 10.48% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 13.89% reported speaking Tagalog at home, while 11.22% speak Spanish, 5.97% Aleut, and 4.51% Vietnamese.
There were 1,270 households out of which 35.40% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.00% were married couples living together, 7.60% had a female householder with no husband present, and 42.00% were non-families. 32.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.10% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.52 and the average family size was 3.26.
In the census area the population was spread out with 17.20% under the age of 18, 7.80% from 18 to 24, 47.60% from 25 to 44, 25.10% from 45 to 64, and 2.30% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 180.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 202.10 males.
- Aleutian Islands
- List of airports in Alaska
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Aleutians West Census Area, Alaska
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "County Totals Dataset: Population, Population Change and Estimated Components of Population Change: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "MLA Language Map Data Center". Archived from the original on September 30, 2007. Retrieved June 3, 2014.
- Aleutians West Census Area at the Community Database Online from the Alaska Division of Community and Regional Affairs
- Maps from the Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development: 2010
|Aleutsky District||Aleutians East Borough|