Alex Honnold at the Trento Film Festival (2014)
|Born||August 17, 1985|
|Education||UC Berkeley (dropped out)|
|Occupation||Professional rock climber|
|Type of climber|
Big Wall Free SoloingSpeed record on The Nose of El Capitan
Alexander J. Honnold (born August 17, 1985) is an American rock climber best known for his free solo ascents of big walls. He has broken a number of speed records, most notably the only known solo climb (mostly free climbing with a few points of aid) of the Yosemite Triple crown, an 18 hour 50 minute link up of Mount Watkins, The Nose, and the Regular Northwest Face of Half Dome. He and Hans Florine are the current record holders for the Nose with a climb time of 2:23:51. Honnold says that he likes tall, long routes and that he tries to do them quickly.
Honnold was born in Sacramento, California. He started climbing when he was 11 years old. Upon graduating from the Mira Loma High School with a 4.7 GPA, he matriculated to the University of California Berkeley to study engineering. However, at the age of 19, he dropped out of school and has since devoted all his time to climbing. Between climbs, he runs or hikes to maintain fitness. Honnold lives out of his van, spending less than a thousand dollars per month, enabling him to follow the weather and climb all the time. Honnold prefers big walls and sport climbing, but enjoys any climb calling for extreme commitment, Yosemite being his favorite area because of its impressive walls and favorable weather. Honnold is inspired by such noted climbers as Peter Croft, John Bachar and Tommy Caldwell, and even more so by the stark simplicity and beauty of El Capitan.
In 2010, Honnold was awarded the "Golden Piton" for his climbing achievements. Journalist Lara Logan interviewed Honnold as part of CBS 60 Minutes program airing on October 2, 2011. In November 2011, Honnold and Hans Florine missed setting the record time on the Nose route on Yosemite's El Capitan by 45 seconds with a time of 2:37. On June 17, 2012, the two set a new record of 2:23:51 on that same route. Honnold is an avid reader, with interests in classic literature, environmentalism, and economics. When asked about his religious or spiritual views, he described himself as a "militant atheist."  In 2012 he started the Honnold Foundation which "seeks simple, sustainable ways to improve lives world-wide". 
Selected notable climbs
- Nose of El Capitan: Speed record with Hans Florine on June 17, 2012. Time: 2:23:51
- Solo of Half Dome in 1 hour, 22 minutes. May 2012.
- Freerider in Yosemite Valley in one day in May 2007 when he was 21 years old.
- Solo of Yosemite Triple Crown — Mt. Watkins, El Capitan, and Half Dome - in 18 hours, 50 minutes ; free soloing 90% of the link-up.
- Free solo of Astroman and Rostrum in Yosemite Valley in one day in September 2007, becoming the second person after Peter Croft (1987) to do so.
- Free solo of the Regular Northwest Face of Half Dome on 6 September 2008.
- El Potrero Chico
- The Mandala: 8A+(V12). A repeat of Chris Sharma's classic boulder in Bishop, California
- Ambrosia: 8A(V11). Second ascent of Kevin Jorgeson's highball boulder problem in Bishop, California.
- Too Big To Flail: 7C+(V10) or 8B(5.13d). First Ascent of a 45ft. face in Bishop, California.
- The Green Mile: 8c+(5.14c). Alex Honnold's most difficult sport climb on a rope at the Jailhouse crag near San Francisco.
- Free solo of Heaven (5.12d) and Cosmic Debris (5.13b) in 2014 in Yosemite National Park
- Free solo of The Phoenix, the USA's first 5.13a.
- Repeats of Parthian Shot, New Statesman, Meshuga (solo), an on-sight of Gaia (and subsequently repeated it solo), and an on-sight solo of London Wall during a trip to England at the end of 2008.
- First ascents of The Rainbow Arch (5.12+, toproped) and multiple small towers (free solo) in the Ennedi Desert, Chad, in 2010. 
- First ascent of the Low's gully gorge face of Mount Kinabalu in Borneo in April 2009. 
- The complete traverse of the Fitz Roy massif in Patagonia. Completed over five days with Tommy Caldwell in February 2014. 
- Africa Fusion (video) Alex Honnold and Hazel Findlay rock climbing in Namibia and South Africa.
- Alex Honnold 3.0 (video)
- The Ascent of Alex Honnold (video) by reporter Lara Logan on 60 Minutes
- Alone on the Wall (video) from National Geographic Adventures TV series First Ascent. Alex Honnold solos of Half Dome in Yosemite and the Moonlight Buttress in Zion
- Honnold's Biggest, Baddest Solo Yet from climbing.com
- "New Nose Record - 2:23:51 (Florine and Honnold)". Mountain Project. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "JRE #319 - Alex Honnold, Brian Redban". Youtube.com. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- "MrQuale.com". Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Alex Honnold - Athlete profile". 2011. Archived from the original on 22 July 2011.
- "The ascent of Alex Honnold". cbsnews.com. 27 December 2011. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "2010 Golden Piton Awards". Climbing. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- El Capitan record attempt likely has to wait from fresnobee.com
- TE Exclusive: Alex Honnold Talks About Why He Does What He Does from trailsedge.com
-  from Honnold Foundation about page.
- Mary Anne Potts. "Climbers Alex Honnold and Hans Florine Claim Speed Record on the Nose, El Cap – Interview". Beyond the Edge. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- Honnold's Biggest, Baddest Solo Yet from climbing.com
- Honnold'S Yosemite Year: A Free-Climbing Extravaganza from Alpinist.com
- Alex Honnold free solos two big wall classics in a day from RockClimbing.com
- Updated: Honnold Free Solos Half Dome 5.12 from Alpinist.com
- Honnold Makes a High-Stakes Solo in Zion from Climbing.com
- Honnold Rapid-Fires Two Desert-Crack Testpieces from Climbing.com
- Parker, Chris (16 January 2014). "Honnold Free-Solos the 1,750-Foot El Sendero Luminoso (5.12d)". Rock and Ice. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "Honnold Free Solos Squamish's University Wall". alpinist.com. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- "8a.nu - GLOBAL". 8a.nu. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- Alex Honnold Gets the 2nd Ascent of Ambrosia from dpmclimbing.com
- "Alex Honnold: Too Big to Flail". dpmclimbing.com. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- More Solos in Yosemite by Alex Honnold from climbingnarc.com
- Free solo of Phoenix and CH from climbing.com
- Alex Honnold climbing interview from PlanetMountain.com
-  from Alpinist
-  Mark Synnott's Climbing Expeditions
-  Borneo Dispatches
-  Matador Network
-  from supertopo.com