Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Occupation(s)||CEO, NextBlock Global|
|Parent(s)||Don Tapscott, Ana Paula Lopes|
Alex Tapscott (born 1986) is a Canadian business author, and advisory board member. His work revolves around the applications of blockchain technology and cryptocurrencies like bitcoin.
He was the CEO and founder of NextBlock Global, a cryptocurrency investment company, and is the co-founder, with his father Don Tapscott, of the Blockchain Research Institute.
Early life and education
Tapscott was born in Toronto and attended Upper Canada College. He holds a BA in Law, Jurisprudence and Social thought from Amherst College in Amherst, Massachusetts where he graduated in 2008.
Tapscott represented Canada as a member (and captain) of the Canadian Men's Rugby Under-21 Team in numerous tournaments in 2006 and 2007. 
Tapscott co-authored, with his father Don Tapscott, the 2016 book Blockchain Revolution: How the Technology Behind Bitcoin is Changing Money, Business, and the World. The book became a The Globe and Mail as well as Toronto Star bestseller. Financial Times reviewed the book and wrote "The Tapscotts provide a thorough, balanced and enlightening guide to the next big thing",.
In October 2016, Tapscott gave his first TEDx Talk at TEDxSanFrancisco. He currently sits on the Advisory Board to Elections Canada, the independent, non-partisan agency responsible for conducting federal elections and referendums. He also serves as an advisory board member at early-stage start-ups, including Paycase and nuco.
In the summer of 2016, Tapscott co-convened a meeting of blockchain stakeholders in Muskoka, Ontario to discuss governance of the whole blockchain ecosystem.
On November 5, 2017, he announced that NextBlock was forced to scrap IPO plans due to being dropped by their underwriter, CIBC, after the company is reported to have made false and misleading statements in its marketing materials.
- "Realizing the Potential of Blockchain: A Multistakeholder Approach to the Stewardship of Blockchain and Cryptocurrencies," World Economic Forum White Paper, 2017.
- Blockchain Revolution: How the Technology Behind Bitcoin is Changing Money, Business, and the World, PenguinRandomHouse, 2016. ISBN 978-0670069972.
- A Bitcoin Governance Network, Global Solution Networks White Paper, 2014.
- To the Breaking Point: Law and Political Emergency, UD-ALO Publishing, 2010. ISBN 978-0994042002
- ^ a b Gapper, John (May 18, 2016). "Review — 'Blockchain Revolution', by Don and Alex Tapscott". Financial Times. Retrieved February 9, 2017.
- ^ "SEC Charges Company Formed to Invest in Blockchain Technology and Its Former CEO". SEC.gov. May 14, 2019. Retrieved August 31, 2022.
- ^ "Old Boys, New Books". Old Times Magazine. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- ^ "About the Author". Amherst College. Retrieved July 11, 2017.[permanent dead link]
- ^ "Canada Under 21 news". BC Rugby News. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- ^ "Rugby Canada names under-21 players to face U.S." The Globe and Mail. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- ^ "University of Toronto – Calgary, AB: Globe & Mail Bestseller "Blockchain Revolution" Book Launch". my.alumni.utoronto.ca. Retrieved October 11, 2016.
- ^ "Don and Alex Tapscott predict upcoming digital revolution". The Star. Retrieved February 9, 2017.
- ^ "Alex Tapscott". TedX San Francisco. Archived from the original on March 31, 2017. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- ^ "Members of the Elections Canada Advisory Board". Elections Canada. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- ^ "Paycase Advisors". VB Profiles. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- ^ "Advisors and Board". Nuco. Archived from the original on November 7, 2017. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- ^ "Blockchain's Backers Gather to Push Governance for Technology". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved October 11, 2016.
- ^ "Alex tapscott: the blockchain revolution". Goldman Sachs.
- ^ "NextBlock, a cryptocurrency venture-capital fund, scraps IPO plan". Toronto Star. Canadian Press. November 6, 2017. Retrieved January 2, 2018.