Ambient (desktop environment)
|Original author(s)||David Gerber|
|Developer(s)||Ambient Open Source Team|
1.1599 / June 8, 2008
|License||GNU General Public License|
Ambient is a MUI-based desktop environment for MorphOS. Its development was started in 2001 by David Gerber. Its main goals were that it should be fully asynchronous, simple and fast. Ambient remotely resembles Workbench and Directory Opus Magellan trying to mix the best of both worlds.
Ambient does not strictly follow the Amiga Workbench interface paradigm but there are still many similarities: while programs are called tools, program attributes are called tooltypes, data files are projects and directories are drawers.
- support for ARexx scripting language
- default icon library for hundreds of fileformats
- fully asynchronous, multi-threaded design
- fast asynchronous file I/O functions and file notifications
- support for PNG and other Amiga icon formats
- built-in icon, workbench and wbstart libraries
- built-in applications like disk formatting and commodities manager
- panels which are used as program launchers
Ambient is localized for various languages and while it is part of MorphOS, it is also available separately. There are various visual effects in Ambient which are taking an advantage of hardware accelerated visual effects in MorphOS.
The native icon format in Ambient is a PNG icon but there is built-in support for other Amiga icon formats. Ambient introduced special icon format called DataType Icons where the icon is simply any image file renamed to include .info extension. Those icons are read using Amiga DataType system.
|Original Amiga icons||MagicWB||NewIcons||GlowIcons||GlowIcons32||DT Icons||PNG||DualPNG||SVG|
|Alpha blending||No||No||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Not sure|
|Second state image||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes||No|
|Embedded metadata||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Not sure|
- "Ambient". Retrieved 2008-11-21.
- "Ambient Open Source Team - shorted ambient.notes". morphosambient.sourceforge.net.
- http://morphos.de/files/src/3.11//ambient.tar.bz2 Source code of MorphOS 3.11
- "MorphOS: The Lightning OS". 2006-11-22. Archived from the original on 2011-07-25. Retrieved 2010-09-04.