Arvinder Singh Soin
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Arvinder Singh Soin
|Known for||Liver Transplantation|
|Fields||Medical science, Healthcare|
|Influences||Roy Yorke Calne|
Arvinder Singh Soin is a surgeon and pioneer in the field of liver transplantation. Currently, he is the Chairman of the Institute of Liver Transplantation and Regenerative Medicine, Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon, India. In 2010, Soin was awarded the Padma Shri by the President of India for his contributions to the field of medicine.
Soin is recognised all over the world for his pioneering work in liver transplantation. From 2001 to mid-2010, he established a liver transplant center at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital that went on to become one of the largest across the world. In June 2010, he moved to Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon to start a new center as he foresaw unparalleled opportunities to provide world-class care along with work towards research and innovation. Medanta is one of the largest and the most modern tertiary care hospitals in the country. Here, Soin has established a 150-bed (including 36 Liver ICU beds) dedicated Liver Treatment facility, carrying out 250 liver transplants and hundreds of complex liver and biliary tract surgeries every year.
Soin has performed more than 1500 living donor liver transplants in India, which is the highest in the country and the second highest in the world. He also has to his credit more than 12000 other complex liver, gall bladder and bile duct surgeries. He and his team currently perform 22–25 live donor liver transplants every month with an immediate success rate of about 90% – which is at par with the world's best centres. Apart from referrals from all over the country, he handles cases from the rest of South Asia, The Middle East and Africa.
He has also been responsible for training most of the remaining liver transplant teams in India. In disseminating expertise across the country and beyond, building confidence in the procedure among patients and their referring physicians, moving it from experimental status to a highly reliable life-saving procedure, he has in a true sense, pioneered the development of this speciality in India and the subcontinent in the last 20 years.
Soin serves on the committees of all the important National and International societies, as well as on the National Advisory Board in Liver Transplantation. He is a regular Faculty member and speaker (often the only one from India) at most world fora in Liver Transplantation such as ILTS, AASLD, APDW, IHPBA, IASGO, APASL, Asian Living Donor Liver Transplant Group and Asia Pacific Organ Transplant Forum, many more.
Research papers and Invited lectures
Soin also recently wrote an Opinions Column for NDTV analyzing the Modi Government's ambitious Ayushman Bharat Yojana, and is a prominent voice on health care policy and innovation in India. . He also actively advises startups in the healthcare space across innovation hubs like Bangalore and Silicon Valley.
Dr. Soin has published more than 110 research papers and book chapters, and delivered more than 750 invited lectures and papers all over the world. He is also the Editor of India's first comprehensive book on his field called "Liver Transplantation" which has been published by Elsevier. The book has sold over 15,000 copies.
Awards and achievements
- Padma Shri in 2010 for pioneering the development of Liver Transplantation in India.
- Received the Rameshwar Das Birla National Award for the Best Clinician for the Year 2010 
- Zee TV – Swasth Bharat Samman Award for excellence in Medicine – 2010
- Medical Statesman of the Year 2010 – e-MEDINEWS AWARDS, 2010
- Annual research awards of the British Transplantation Society – 1994
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh Research Award – 1996
- Annual research awards of the British Transplantation Society – 1997
- Delhi Medical Association Distinguished Service Awards – 2005 and 2010 for pioneering contributions in the field of Transplantation in India
- Medindia Oration Award for 2008 for pioneering contributions to Liver Transplantation in India
- Naseem Ansari Oration at King George Medical College, Lucknow, 2007
- Medindia Oration at Chennai, 2008
- K.E.M. Mumbai, Oration, 2009
- Dr Phani Dhar Memorial Oration, Mumbai, March 2011
- Bestowed Honorary Fellowship of the King George Medical College, Lucknow at the Annual Convocation in 2007.
- Appointed Visiting Professor in Liver Surgery at K.E.M. College and Hospital, Mumbai – 2009
- "National Health Protection Scheme: Hope Or Hype?". NDTV. 2018. Retrieved July 21, 2018.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 November 2014. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- "Dr Arvinder Singh Soin honoured with R D Birla Award". India Medical Times. 2011. Retrieved July 21, 2018.
- Transfusion-free liver transplant The Telegraph 9 May 2005
- NDTV expert panel
- R D Birla Award Indian Express 17 April 2011
- Dr. Soin's profile at WhatClinic
- Dr. Soin at MyDocAdvisor
- Dr. Soin receives R.D. Birla award
- Miracle Worker
- Medanta Institute of Liver Transplantation and Regenerative Medicine
- Medanta Mediclinic brings world-class liver care to Jammu
- National Health Protection Scheme: Hope Or Hype? - Blog by Dr. Soin
- Medanta organises International Liver Symposium Liver Symposium Organised by Dr. Soin
- World's Smallest baby gets Liver Transplant from Dr. Soin's Team