||This article possibly contains original research. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Rivalry In Worldly Increase
|Other names||Hoarding, Competition, Worldly Gain, Rivalry|
|No. of verses||8|
After the bismillah, this sura is concerned with factionalism and schism amongst people. Disagreements between individuals and groups follows us "even until you visit the tombs". Three times in a row the sura warns the reader that "you shall know" that those who sow discord are headed towards Hell. Here, proper understanding is required for entrance into Paradise, and should one not attain this on Earth, one will receive the "eye of certainty" on the Day of Judgment, when "you shall be questioned ... concerning true bliss".
[102:1] Competition in [worldly] increase diverts you
[102:2] Until you visit the graveyards.
[102:3] No! You are going to know.
[102:4] Then no! You are going to know.
[102:5] No! If you only knew with knowledge of certainty..
[102:6] You will surely see the Hellfire.
[102:7] Then you will surely see it with the eye of certainty.
[102:8] Then you will surely be asked that Day about pleasure.
Theme and subject matter
In it the people have been warned of the evil consequences of world worship because of which they spend their lives in acquiring more and more of worldly wealth, material benefits and pleasures, and position and power, till death, and in vying with one another and bragging and boasting about their acquisitions. This one pursuit has so occupied them that they are left with no time or opportunity for pursuing the higher things in life. After warning the people of its evil end they have been told us if to say: "These blessings which you are amassing and enjoying thoughtlessly, are not mere blessings but are also a means of your trial. For each one of these blessings and comforts you will surely be called to account in the Hereafter."
Nahj al-Balagha commentary on Al-Islam.org is quoted as:
|“||"The genesis of the descending of this verse is that the tribes of Banu Abd al-Manaf and Banu Sahm began to boast against each other over the abundance of their wealth and the number of their tribesmen, and in order to prove they had a greater number each one began to include their dead as well, whereupon this verse was revealed to the effect that abundance of riches and majority in numbers has made you so forgetful that you count the dead also with the living. This verse is also taken to mean that abundance of riches and progeny has made you forgetful till you reached the graves, but the utterance of Amir al-mu'minin supports the first meaning.".||”|
Mention in ahadith
- It was narrated from Mutarrif, from his father, that the Prophet said: "The mutual rivalry (for piling up of worldly things) diverts you, 'Until you visit the graves (i.e. till you die).' The son of Adam says: 'My wealth, my wealth,' but your wealth is what you eat and consume, or what you wear and it wears out, or what you give in charity and send on ahead (for the Hereafter).'"
- Mutarrif bin Abdullah bin Ash-Shikh-khir reported from his father, : that he went to the Prophet and he was reciting: ‘أَلْهَاكُمُ التَّكَاثُرُ ’ He said: “The son of Adam says: ‘My wealth, my wealth.’ And do you own anything except what you give in charity, such that you’ve spent it, or what you eat, such that you’ve finished it, or you wear, such that you’ve worn it out?”
- Sermon 219
- Sunan an-Nasa'i 3613. In-book reference : Book 30 (The Book of Wills), Hadith 3. English translation : Vol. 4, Book 30, Hadith 3643
- Grade: Sahih (Darussalam) English reference: Jami' at-Tirmidhi » Chapters on Tafsir Vol. 5, Book 44, Hadith 3354. Arabic reference : كتاب تفسير القرآن عن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم Book 47, Hadith 3678
- Reference: Jami' at-Tirmidhi 2342 In-book reference : Chapters On Zuhd Book 36, Hadith 39. English translation : Vol. 4, Book 10, Hadith 2342
Tafsir Surah al-Takathur by Shaykh Ibn Uthaymeen http://tariqmahmoodhashmi.blogspot.com/2016/07/tafsir-surah-al-takathur-102-by-shaykh.html
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
|Surah 102||Next sura: