The Rising Dawn
|No. of verses||5|
|No. of words||23|
|No. of letters||71|
Sūrat al-Falaq (Arabic: سورة الفلق, "Dawn, Daybreak") is the 113th surah of the Qur'an. It is a brief five verse invocation, asking Allah for protection from the evil of Satan. This surah and the 114th (and last) surah in the Qur'an, an-Nas, are collectively referred to as al-Mu'awwidhatayn (the refuges), as both begin with 'I seek refuge', An-Nas tells to seek God refuge from the evil from within, while Al-Falaq tells to seek God refuge from the evil from outside, so reading both of them would protect a person from his own mischief and the mischief of others.
The word "al-Falaq" in the first verse, a generic term referring to the process of 'splitting', has been restricted in most translations to one particular type of splitting, namely 'daybreak' or 'dawn'.
Verse 4 refers to one of soothsayer techniques to partially tie a knot, utter a curse and spit into the knot and pull it tight. In the pre-Islamic period, soothsayers claimed the power to cause various illnesses. According to soothsayers the knot had to be found and untied before the curse could be lifted. This practice is condemned in verse 4.
- بِسْمِ ٱللَّهِ ٱلرَّحْمَٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيم
- 113|1| قُلْ أَعُوذُ بِرَبِّ ٱلْفَلَقِ
- 113|2| مِن شَرِّ مَا خَلَقَ
- 113|3| وَمِن شَرِّ غَاسِقٍ إِذَا وَقَبَ
- 113|4| وَمِن شَرِّ ٱلنَّفَّٰثَٰتِ فِى ٱلْعُقَدِ
- 113|5| وَمِن شَرِّ حَاسِدٍ إِذَا حَسَدَ
- Bismi Allahi arrahmani arraheem
- 113.1. Qul aAAoothu birabbi alfalaq
- 113.2. Min sharri ma khalaq
- 113.3. Wamin sharri ghasiqin ithawaqab
- 113.4. Wamin sharri annaffathatifee alAAuqad
- 113.5. Wamin sharri hasidin itha hasad
- In the name of Allah , the Entirely Merciful, the Especially Merciful.
- 113.1. Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak
- 113.2. From the evil of that which He created
- 113.3. And from the evil of darkness when it settles
- 113.4. And from the evil of the blowers in knots
- 113.5. And from the evil of an envier when he envies."
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- Works by Abdullah Yusuf Ali at Project Gutenberg
- The Holy Qur'an, translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali
- Three translations at Project Gutenberg
- Works by Marmaduke Pickthall at Project Gutenberg
- Felak suresi türkçe meali
|Surah 113||Next sura: