Becontree Heath (also spelt Beacontree Heath) is an open space in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. The name has also been applied to the local area, in particular to the RM8 postal district.
Becontree Heath functioned as the ancient meeting place for Becontree hundred, which covered much of what is now East London. In 1465, the hundred lost territory in the east and the meeting place became located on its fringe. When it was still a rural parish, Becontree Heath was a hamlet in Dagenham.
- Local education is listed on the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham article.
Barking and Dagenham
|Operated by||Transport for London|
|Bus operators||Arriva London East London Transit (Blue Triangle)|
Beacontree Heath is served by the Becontree Heath Bus Station. The former station served route 150 (towards Chigwell Row) since 19 March 2016 by BRT East London Transit route EL2 (towards Dagenham Dock). The station has been replaced at present by new bus stops along the nearby road while the local council undertakes a construction project involving the building of 170 homes, a pharmacy and a new replacement bus station.
- The hundred of Becontree: Introduction', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 5 (1966). Date accessed: 11 January 2008.
- Barking and Dagenham London Borough Council Archived 11 October 2006 at the Wayback Machine - Dagenham Civic Centre
- Cherry, Bridget (2005). London. New Haven, CT London: Yale University Press. ISBN 9780300107012.
- Crowlands Heath Golf Club Archived 18 December 2007 at the Wayback Machine - Crowlands Heath Golf Club
- Becontree Heath Leisure Centre Archived 24 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine and Becontree Heath Leisure Centre
- "Construction starts at Becontree Heath". Local Authority Building & Maintenance. Hamerville Media Group. 19 February 2018. Retrieved 8 February 2020.