Belvidere High School (New Jersey)
|Belvidere High School|
|809 Oxford Street
Belvidere, NJ 07823
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Belvidere School District|
|Principal||Edward J. Lazzara|
|Vice principal||Jason Klebez|
|Enrollment||481 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.0:1|
|Athletics conference||Skyland Conference|
|Team name||County Seaters|
Belvidere High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school serving students in ninth through twelfth grades from Belvidere, in Warren County, New Jersey, United States, operating as part of the Belvidere School District.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 481 students and 43.9 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.0:1. There were 57 students (11.9% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 12 (2.5% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 117th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 189th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 250th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 250th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 251st in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
The Belvidere High School County Seaters athletic teams compete in the Valley Division of the Skyland Conference, which operates under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 359 students in grades 10-12, the school is classified by the NJSIAA for most sports as North I, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 187 to 490. Interscholastic sports offered include football, baseball, softball, basketball, cross country, swimming, cheerleading, golf, wrestling, field hockey, and soccer.
The boys baseball team won the North II Group I state sectional championship in 1965.
The girls field hockey team won the North II Group I state sectional championships in 1982, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991 and 1996, and won the combined North I / II Group I title in 1992. The team was Group I co-champion in 1989 (with Haddonfield High School) and won the Group I title outright in 1990 (vs. South Hunterdon Regional High School).
The boys wrestling team won the North II Group I state sectional championships in 1996, 1999, 2000 and 2001.
The football team won the North II Group I state sectional championship in 1999.
The girls soccer team won the North II, Group I state sectional championship in 2005 with a 1-0 win over North Arlington High School. The team won the North I, Group I state sectional title in a shootout after overtime ended in a 2-2 tie with Cresskill High School.
Activities and clubs
There are many clubs at Belvidere, including Marching Band, Color Guard, Madrigals, Chorus, S.T.A.N.D, Diversity Club, FFA, Student Government, a science club, a book club, a running club, Scarlet Scoop (school newspaper), HOPE Club, Leo Club, Yearbook Club, National Honor Society, French National Honor Society, and others.
Core members of the school's current administration are:
- Edward J. Lazzara, Principal
- Jason Klebez, Assistant Principal
- School data for Belvidere High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Belvidere High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 24, 2016.
- Belvidere High School 2015 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed June 7, 2016. "The District serves students from the Belvidere K-12 district and three surrounding K-8 districts; Hope, Harmony, and White."
- Municipal Guide to Public School Districts, Warren County, New Jersey. Accessed June 7, 2016.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 1, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 14, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- 2017 - 2019 Co‐Operative Sports Programs, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- History of the NJSIAA Baseball Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 24, 2016.
- History of the NJSIAA Field Hockey Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 24, 2016.
- History of the NJSIAA Team Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 24, 2016.
- Goldberg, Jeff. NJSIAA Football Playoff Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 19, 2015.
- 2005 Girls Soccer - North II, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 30, 2007.
- Staff. "Cresskill 2, Belvidere 2", The Star-Ledger, November 12, 2010. Accessed September 28, 2011. "Kelsey Barofski blocked two shots in a 3-1 shootout victory as Belvidere beat Cresskill after the teams battled to a 2-2 tie through overtime in the NJSIAA/The Sports Authority Stores North Jersey, Section 1, Group 1 final yesterday in Cresskill."
- Administration, Belvidere High School. Accessed January 24, 2016.
- Belvidere High School
- Belvidere School District
- Belvidere School District's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Belvidere School District, National Center for Education Statistics