Bhopal Municipal Corporation
map of city of Bhopal
|Smt. Chhavi Bhardwaj|
Bhopal Municipal Corporation (Hindi: भोपाल नगर निगम) (BMC) is the Municipal Corporation for the capital city of Madhya Pradesh, it is responsible for the civic infrastructure and administration of the city of Bhopal. The organization is known, in short, as BMC. This civic administrative body administers an area of 648.24 km2 (250.29 sq mi). BMC is headed by Smt. Chhavi Bhardwaj the Commissioner and Mr. Alok Sharma the Mayor. In August 2014, the corporation became one of India’s first municipal corporations to automate citizen services by shaking hands with German software giant SAP SE for the purpose, the commissioner Naik inked the deal at New Delhi.
The total area under BMC is 648.24 km2 (250.29 sq mi). The city is divided into 85 wards. Each ward elects a corporator. The winning party elects a council of members, who are responsible for various departments. The council members chose the Mayor among themselves. At present, there are ten members in the council. The Commissioner of Bhopal is the highest officer of Municipal Corporate Office, which is responsible for the departments of public works, revenue and tax, water supply, planning and development, fire brigade, health and sanitation, finance and accounts etc. The current Municipal Commissioner of Bhopal is Chhavi Bhardwaj, while the current Mayor is Alok Sharma. mandideep comes in Bhopal
Majlis-e-intezamia was the Mosque name of first municipal body of Bhopal, which came into being in 1907 in the erstwhile Bhopal State. First city survey was conducted in 1916 after the enactment of Municipal Act. Up to 1956 the area under Bhopal Municipal limit was very small, but after that few more surrounding villages were added to it. The total area under Bhopal municipal limit reached to 71.23 km2 by 1975.
The Municipal Board was constituted for the first time in 1952 with Shri. Abdul karim Babu Miya as president and Shri. Deendayal as vice-president. Later on the status of Municipal board was upgraded to municipal council & an IAS officer was appointed as Chief Administrator. In 1983, Bhopal Municipal Council got the status of Municipal Corporation, with total 56 wards and Dr. R.K.Bisaria of Congress was elected as the first mayor.
Corporation Election 2015
Political Performance in Election 2015
|S.No.||Party Name||Party flag or symbol||Number of Corporators|
|01||Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)||55|
|02||Indian National Congress (INC)||26|
- Public Works
- Revenue & Tax
- Heritage Cell
- Public Relation
- Water Supply
- Planning & Development
- General Administration
- Fire Services
- Health & Sanitation
- PTI New Delhi (13 August 2014). "SAP deploys automation solutions at Bhopal Municipal Corporation". The Economic Times. Archived from the original on 14 August 2014. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- Tech Desk (13 August 2014). "Bhopal Municipal Corporation to launch mobile app to automate citizen services". The Indian Express. Archived from the original on 14 August 2014. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- Tech Desk (14 August 2014). "Bhopal Municipal Corporation to launch mobile app to automate citizen services". The Financial Express. Archived from the original on 14 August 2014. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- PTI, Bhopal (8 August 2014). "Madhya Pradesh government transfers 77 IAS officers". India Today. Archived from the original on 11 August 2014. Retrieved 11 August 2014.
- "Bhopal Municipal Corporation". Archived from the original on 7 March 2007. Retrieved 2007-03-08.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-04-12. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-03-30. Retrieved 2013-03-12.