Blue Sky Green Field Wind Energy Center
|Blue Sky Green Field Wind Energy Center|
Turbines east of Johnsburg
|Location||Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin|
|Construction began||June 2007|
|Commission date||May 2008|
|Construction cost||$300 million|
|Units operational||88 turbines|
|Make and model||Vestas V82-1.65 MW|
|Nameplate capacity||145.2 MW|
|Capacity factor||26.8% (average 2009-2017)|
|Annual net output||341 GW·h|
Blue Sky Green Field Wind Energy Center is a wind farm in northeast Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin. The 10,600-acre (4,300 ha) facility is located in the towns of Calumet and Marshfield. Owned by We Energies, it became the largest operating installation using wind power in Wisconsin when it came online in 2008.
An application for authorization to construct the Blue Sky Green Field Wind Farm was filed with the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin (PCSW) on March 17, 2006. On February 1, 2007, the PSCW issued the certificate of public convenience and necessity authorizing the project.
Ongoing complaints about the infrasound have continued well after the wind park began operation.
The wind farm consists of 88 Vestas Wind Systems V82 turbines, which have a capacity to produce 145 megawatts of power. They are expected to generate 328 million kilowatt hours annually, which is enough to power 36,000 homes. Each turbine is capable of production 1.65 megawatts of electricity. The turbines are approximately 262 feet (80 m) tall, and reach 397 feet (121 m) tall when the 134-foot (41 m) blade is faced upwards.
|Year||Total Annual MW·h|
|Average (years 2009-2017) --->||340,806|
- "Johnsburg wind farm officially in operation". Tri-County News. Kiel, Wisconsin: Delta Publishing. 2008-05-22. p. 18.
- Mark, Sherry (2008-04-10). "Johnsburg are turbines tested, We Energies says". Tri-County News. Kiel, Wisconsin: Delta Publishing. p. 16.
- "Blue Sky Green Field wind farm starts spinning". Fond du Lac Reporter. Fond du Lac, Wisconsin: Gannett. 2008-05-19.
- Blue Sky Green Field Wind Energy Center
- "Blue Sky Green Field Wind, Annual". Electricity Data Browser. Energy Information Administration. Retrieved April 19, 2019.