|Full name||Casey May Kopua (née Williams)|
19 June 1985 |
Hamilton, New Zealand
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Occupation||New zealand netball player (silver ferns)|
|Playing position(s): GK, GD|
|2003–present||Waikato Bay of Plenty Magic|
|(Correct as of 14 October 2014)|
|2009, 2013||Fastnet Ferns + Fast5 Ferns||13|
|(Correct as of 15 April 2017)|
Casey May Kopua ONZM (née Williams; born 19 June 1985) is a New Zealand international netball player. She is the former captain of the New Zealand national netball team, the Silver Ferns, and is the captain of the Waikato Bay of Plenty Magic in the ANZ Championship.
Kopua has been a member of the New Zealand national netball team since 2004, making her on-court debut in 2005 against Barbados. She also played in the New Zealand U21 netball team that won gold at the 2005 World Youth Netball Championships in Florida. During her career she has won gold medals at the 2006 and 2010 Commonwealth Games and the 2009 World Netball Series, and silver medals at the 2007 and 2011 World Netball Championships. In 2008, she co-captained the team with Laura Langman, stepping into the role of acting captain later that year following an injury to Julie Seymour. In July 2009, Kopua became the 23rd captain of the Silver Ferns, taking over from Seymour who retired from the game.
In domestic netball, Kopua has played with the Waikato Bay of Plenty Magic since 2003. During the 2008 ANZ Championship season, she was named the Holden Captiva player of the championship, winning a new car.
In December 2012, Kopua married Hamilton lawyer Terry Kopua.
On 11 October 2014, Kopua became the most capped New Zealand netball captain in history, playing her 63rd test as captain of the team in the 3rd test of the Constellation Cup against Australia in Sydney's Allphones Arena. In the fourth quarter of that match, Kopua suffered a suspected dislocated patella (knee injury). Scans later revealed that Kopua also ruptured her patella tendon. Three days later Kopua underwent surgery to repair her patella tendon. On 21 May 2016, Kopua and her husband Terry announced the birth of their daughter Maia.
- "2011 Silver Ferns profile: Casey Williams". 13 June 2011. Retrieved 13 June 2011.
- Netball New Zealand (29 July 2009). "Silver Fern captain and squads announced".
- "Williams named Silver Ferns captain". The New Zealand Herald. 27 July 2009. Retrieved 26 September 2009.
- Johannsen, Dana (6 June 2011). "Honours for Ferns' coach and captain". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- "Change of name, but goal is the same". Stuff.co.nz. 19 January 2013. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "Kopua To Be Most Capped NZ Netball Captain in History". Netball New Zealand. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "Kopua Ruled Out With Patella Tendon Injury". Netball New Zealand. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "Kopua out for six months". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 3 November 2014.
- 2011 ANZ Championship profile
- "The Phil Taylor interview: Casey Williams". The New Zealand Herald. 15 August 2009.
|Captain of the Silver Ferns