Basilica of St. Mary, Champakulam
|Champakulam Kalloorkadu Marth Maryam (St. Mary's) Basilica (Valia Palli),
Champakulam St. Mary's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church (Kalloorkkadu Palli) / Valia Palli. This is the view from the North East side.
|Location||Champakulam, Alappuzha, Kerala, India|
|Affiliation||Syro-Malabar Catholic Church|
|Year consecrated||AD 427|
|Ecclesiastical or organizational status||Forane Church|
Champakulam Kalloorkadu Marth Maryam (St. Mary's) Basilica (Malayalam: ചമ്പക്കുളം വലിയ പള്ളി) is an ancient Christian Church in Kerala. It belongs to the Syro-Malabar Church under the Archeparchy of Changanacherry. It is a Forane church, with several Parishes under it.
- 1 History
- 2 Church At Glance
- 3 Holy Qurbana Timings
- 4 Famous Parishioners
- 5 Annual Feasts
- 6 Religious Houses In the Parish
- 7 Other institutions under the Parish
- 8 Parish Hall
- 9 St. Mary's Theological Center
- 10 Getting there
- 11 Location (Wikimapia)
- 12 Catholic Organizations
- 13 References
- 14 External links
Champakulam Kalloorkadu Marth Maryam Basilica (also called Champakulam Valia Palli) is one of the oldest Christian churches in India and the mother church of almost all Catholic Syrian churches in Alleppey District. It is the first one under the church at Niranam which is believed to have been founded by St.Thomas,the Apostle himself. Believed to be established in AD 427. Rebuilt many times and the many rock inscriptions found around the church tell us about the history of the church. The open air Rock Cross at Champakulam church is one of the most ancient ones with clear documentation of its antiquity up to AD 1151. There are many archaeological artifacts found around the church about its history. Champakulam church was once under Niranam Church, which was founded by the Apostle Saint Thomas himself.. Champakulam Church had very friendly relations with the Jacobite Syrian group and had a pivotal role in many ecumenical efforts in the Eighteenth century. One of the martyrs of east syrian catholics (nasranis), Ikkako Kathanar was born to this parish.
Champakulam church has been recognised by the Universal Church as a Basilica. On 27-Nov-2016, the church was officially declared as a Basilica by Mar Yawseph, the Metropolitan Archbishop of Changanacherry. This is the first Basilica in the archdiocese of Changanasserry, 4th in the Syro Malabar Church, 9th in Kerala and the 23rd basilica in India.
- Parish : Champakulam
- Forane : Champakulam
- Diocese : Changanacherry
- Patron : St. Mary
- First Church : AD 427
- Priests : 4
- Vicar :Very Rev. Fr. Joseph Vaniyapurackal
(1): Fr. Thomas Chekonthayil
- Catholic Population : 6500
- Catholic Families : 1378
- Phone : 0477-2736252
Holy Qurbana Timings
- Sundays : 6.00AM, 7.30AM, 9.30AM, 4.00PM
- Other Days : 6.00AM, 7.00AM
- Wednesdays : 6.30AM, 4.00PM
There are many famous parishioners in the history of Kalloorkadu church. One of them is the martyr of the church, Ikkako Kathanar.
Ikkako Kathanar- the forgotten martyr of Catholic Saint Thomas Christians
Ikkako Kathanar was a priest from this parish who became martyr in the hand of Portuguese for protecting the east syrian tradition of the indigenous catholic church of India (Nasranis) mainly along the malabar coast. Till the arrival of Europeans Nasranis were belonging to the east syrian rites in the Catholic Church. The Europeans under the Padroado and Propaganda tried to forcefully convert the nasranis into western or latin rite. Ikkako Kathanar is one of the faithful of the church who tried to resist this illegal attempt which extended over more than five centuries. He attained martyrdom under the hands of propaganda carmelites during this.
Apart from general Christian Holy celebrations like Christmas, Good Friday & Easter (Holy week) etc., there are two main yearly feasts (മലയാളം: പെരുന്നാള്).
Feast of Mother Mary / Marian apparition(ദര്ശനതിരുന്നാള്)
The Feast of the Apparition lasts for 11 days of pious celebrations and concludes on the Sunday following 15 October.
Commemoration of the Death of St. Joseph (യൌസേപ്പ് പിതാവിന്റെ മരണ തിരുന്നാള്)
This is a 'shradham- Chatham' conducted in commemoration of the death of St. Joseph is held on 19 March every year. It attracts thousands of devotees to Kalloorkadu Church from far of places.
Moonnu Noyambu Perunnaal of Champakulam
Champakulam Church is one of the ancient churches in which "Moonnu Noyambu Perunnaal-(Three day fast- Rogation of Ninevites) celebrated regularly which has been discontinued in the recent past. There are clear documentation about the Moonnu noyambu perunaal of champakulam in the records about the financial help and support from the Kings of Chempakasserry for the feast.
Parishes Under Champakulam Forane
- Champakulam (Kalloorkad) St. Mary’s Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2736252
- Kondackal St. Joseph’s Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2736216
- Pullangady Holy Family Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2736346
- Thekkekara St. John's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2707031
- Vadakkeamichakari St. George’s Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2707075
- Vaisyambhagam St. Antony’s Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2736501
- St. Joseph's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, Chennamkary 0477-2724237
- Kandankary St. Joseph’s Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2736278
- Narbonapuram St. Sebastian’s Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2762205
- Nazareth St. Jerome's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2762205
- Sleevapuram Syro-Malabar Catholic Church(Ponga) 0477-2762188
- Chennamkary Lourdes Matha Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-
- Padaharam St.Joseph's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church
Religious Houses In the Parish
- Gagultha Ashram CMI
- SABS (The Congregation of the sisters of the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament) Convent.
- Kurialasserry Bhavan (SABS)
- Clara madhom & Orphanage for young girls, Kondakkal.
Other institutions under the Parish
- St. Mary's LP School
- St. Mary's High School
- St. Mary's Higher Secondary School Champakulam
- St. Joseph's Mission Hospital
Initially, there was a small Parish Hall with about hundred seats. A few years back, a bigger Parish Hall was constructed. The latest, inaugurated on 1.3.2011 has 800+ seats
St. Mary's Theological Center
Inaugurated in 2011.
- Road - 15 km away from Alleppey, 18 km from Changanassery by road. From Champakulam West bus stand, the Church is immediate next on the east side. From Champakulam East bus stand, the Church is on the west side, you need to cross the River Pampa (Ferries are available).
- Water - Linked by boat service through the back waters to Alappuzha (1 hr), Kollam(8 Hrs), Changanacherry(3 hrs), Kumarakom(3 hr), Cochin(4 hrs) etc. From Champakulam main (Karuka) boat jetty (on the west side of River Pampa, the Church is only a few steps away - towards North.
- Rail - Nearest Rail heads: Alleppey, Changanassery.
- Air - Nearest International Airports : Kochi (Nedumbassery) - 85 km. Thiruvananthapuram - 150 km.
- Altar Boys
- Thirubala sakhyam
- Yuva Deepti-K.C.Y.M
- Mathru Jyothis
- Pithru Vedi
- St.Vincent De Paul Society
- Darsana Smooham
- Choir Group
- "Champakulam Kalloorkkadu St Mary's Church- The Hidden Pearl in Nasrani History".
- "Archdiocese Of Changancherry".
- "Ancient Churches".
- "Ancient Churches with traditional dates of foundation & Stone Crosses of Kerala- Saint Thomas Cross, Nazraney Sthambams and other Persian Crosses".
- "St. Mary's Church, Kalloorkadu".
- "Church feast and festivals in Central Kerala-Kottayam".
- "Sisters of the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament".
- "St.Mary's High School Champakulam".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St. Mary's Syro-Malabar Catholic Forane Church, Champakulam.|