Town Street after a monsoon shower
|Founded by||K K Nayar|
|• Collector||S Harikishore IAS|
|• Total||2,652 km2 (1,024 sq mi)|
|Elevation||31 m (102 ft)|
|• Density||470/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, Tamil English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||KL – 03|
Pathanamthitta (പത്തനംതിട്ട) is a town and a municipality situated in the Central Travancore region in the state of Kerala, south India, spread over an area of 23.50 km2. It is the administrative capital of Pathanamthitta district. The town has a population of 38,000. The Hindu pilgrim centre Sabarimala is situated in the Pathanamthitta district; as the main transport hub to Sabarimala, the town is known as the 'Pilgrim Capital of Kerala'. Pathanamthitta District, the thirteenth revenue district of the State of Kerala. It was formed with effect from the 1st November, 1982 vide G.O. (M.S) No.1026/82/RD dated 29.10.1982, with headquarters at Pathanamthitta. Forest covers more than half (1396.95 km2.) of the total area of the District. Pathanamthitta District ranks the 7th in area (2652 sq. km.) in the State
|This section does not cite any sources. (October 2012)|
There are different versions on how the name Pathanamthitta came about. One view is that the name is derived from two Tamil / Malayalam words Pathanam and thitta, which together mean "array of ten "family" houses by the riverside". Another opinion is that is pattanam (town) which became 'pathanam'. Thus, Pathanamthitta meant a town by the riverside.
Pathanamthitta town is located on the fertile banks of the River Achenkovil.
Sri K. K. Nair, who formed the District, is known as the Father of Pathanamthitta.
Pathanamthitta has an average elevation of 18 metres (62 ft) above sea level.
The main trunk road to Sabarimala is from Pathanamthitta. The Main Eastern Highway (Punalur-Muvattupuzha Road/SH-08) and T.K.Road (Thiruvalla-Kumbazha Road/SH-07) pass through Pathanamthitta. www
- Major townships around Pathanamthitta
|This section does not cite any sources. (October 2012)|
The town enjoys a tropical climate, the monsoons start in June. The months of April–May can get pretty humid. The best weather is from October to February.
Pathanamthitta experiences three distinct seasons: summer, monsoon and winter. Typical summer months are from March to May. The warmest month in Pathanamthitta is April. Although summer doesn't end until May, the city often receives locally developed heavy thundershowers in May (although humidity remains high).
The monsoon lasts from June to August, with moderate rainfall. Most of the heavy rainfall in the city fall between June and July, and June is the wettest month of the year. Last weeks of June is also days of floods. The three major rivers viz Pampa, Achankovil and Manimala swell with rainwater.
Winter begins in December. December through February are the winter months. The lowest temperatures are experienced during January.
According to the latest World Health Organisation (WHO) study on ambient air quality among 123 Indian cities, Pathanamthitta was found to have the cleanest air in India, in terms of least concentration of dust particles in air. Two out of three least polluted cities in India are from Kerala, Kollam being second least polluted. As per the database, in Pathanamthitta, the annual mean of PM10 and PM2.5 is recorded at 23 and 10 respectively, which is closer to the recommended level of concentration of particulate matter. While a number of Indian cities are among the world's most polluted, Pathanamthitta's air quality is comparable to some of the cleanest cities in North America, Europe and Australia.
Thiruvananthapuram International Airport (113 km), Cochin International Airport, at Nedumbassery, Kochi (142 km) are the nearest airports. Aranmula airport if it comes up will become the nearest airport in pathanamthitta district.
Perunad Heliport (helipad) is situated in Kuttikayam estate, Mampara road. Which is known as Sabarimala helipad. Chipsan Aviation Pvt Ltd, having service from various location. Most of the Sabarimala pilgrimages are using this heliport.
Tiruvalla railway station (Code: TRVL) (30 km) is the only railway station in the District. Chengannur railway station (Code: CNGR) (24 km) is the nearest Railway station. Kollam Junction Railway Station (Code: QLN) is 62 km away from Pathanamthitta. The location of Chengannur private bus stand in front of the station makes it the more convenient one. Direct Bus services to Pathanamthitta are operated from both Tiruvalla and Chengannur. The proposed Chengannur - Pandalam - Adoor - Kottarakkara - Thiruvananthapuram railway line passes through the district.
Pathanamthitta is the meeting point of two major State Highways T.K. Road (SH – 07) and Main Eastern Highway (Punalur-Muvattupuzha Road / SH – 08). The city is well connected to major towns and cities inside and outside Kerala by the State run K.S.R.T.C and private buses as well as Luxury Services. Both the KSRTC and private buses play equal roles in satisfying the transportation needs of the town. The cities of Kollam, Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi, Thrissur etc. are connected by KSRTC services whereas hi-range townships like Punalur, Kumali, Pala and the Malabar Area of Northern Kerala are connected by private bus services. KSRTC is running chain services that connect Pathanamthitta with the City of Kollam via Adoor. Plenty of A/C Luxury Bus services are operated from Pathanamthitta to Bangalore, Chennai, Mangalore and Mumbai on a daily basis.
KSRTC bus stations in Pathanamthitta district are Pathanamthitta, Thiruvalla, Adoor, Pandalam, Mallapally, Ranni, and Pamba.
Distance from pathanamthitta
Places around Pathanamthitta city within a distance of 15 km include, Elanthoor, Ranny, Vadaserikara, Kozhencherry, Kadammanitta, Vazhamuttom, Pandalam, Manjinikara, Mathoor, Omallur, Malayalappuzha, Kodumthara, Elavumthitta-Muloor Smarakam, Kodumon, Ayroor Cherukolpuzha, Ulanadu, Kaipattoor, Mylapra, Uthimoodu, Thumpamon, Maroor, Pramadom, Konni and Valamchuzhy. The places beyond these are Thiruvalla, Nilackal, Parumala, and Maramon. Pathanamthitta lies on the road route to the pilgrim town of Sabarimala, which is 65 km away. The Chettikulangara temple, at Mavelikkara is about 35 km from Pathanamthitta. Padanilam Parabrahma Temple is situated 26 km from Pathanamthitta. Aranmula is around 14 km from Pathanamthitta. Aranmula Temple is one of the biggest temples in South India en route to Sabarimala.
Sabarimala Mandala Pooja.
Aranmula annual boat race.
Making of the wonder mirror of the world. What is Aranmula Kannadi - Why It is world famous, What is the speciality?
Notable people from Pathanamthitta District
As per Census of India 2011 Pathanamthitta had a population of 11,97,412 (11.97 Lakh) and which was lower than 12.34 lakh of previous Census of 2001. Males constitute 46.9% of the population and females 53.1%. 89% of Total population in Pathanamthitta lives in Rural area and only 11% lives in urban. Pathanamthitta District ranks the 12th place in terms of population size in the state. In total density of the District is 452 Persons per km2 which the 12th in States as per 2011 Census. In Sex-ratio, the District is in the 2nd position with 1132 females per 1,000 males. In Child Sex-ratio, the District has the 1st rank with 976 female children per 1000 male children. The District has the second position in total literacy rate (96.55 per cent) and female literacy rate (95.83 per cent). Agricultural Labourers constitute 14.1 per cent while Cultivators form 10.5 per cent of the Total Workers in the District. There are five engineering colleges and one medical college in Pathanamthitta District.
Pathanamthitta still has quite few settlements of aborigines called 'adivasis' deep in the forest area including areas like Thanithoddu, Chittar. The people from the settlements prefer not to be disturbed by the crowd from outside civilizations or lifestyles.
|This section does not cite any sources. (October 2012)|
Hinduism , Christianity and Islam are the main religions followed here.Traditional Muslims living here are mostly Rowther ,who follow the Hanafi sect of Islam and speak mostly Malayalam and Malayalam mixed Tamil. There are certain section who follow other religions also. Various sections of Hindus, Christians and Muslims co-exist harmoniously.
Places of Worship
- The Sabarimala Sree Ayyappa Temple (Temple of Lord Dharmasastha), a world famous forest pilgrim centre, is situated in the Sabarimala part of the western ghats in the Pathanamthitta district, which is hence known as the 'Pilgrim Capital of Kerala'.
- The Shivaparvathy temple Anikkattilammakshethram, *Valamchuzhi Sree Bhadrakali Devi Temple and *Vaipur Mahadeva Temple is also in the district.
- Sree Bhagavathikunnu Devi Temple, Elanthoor: *One of the important and famous Goddess Abode in Thiruvitamkoor is the Bhagawati Kunnu Devi Temple, Elanthoor.
- 'Parumala St. Peter's, St. Paul's and St. Gregorio's Orthodox Church (http://parumalachurch.org) famous for the tomb of Saint Gregorios or Parumala Thirumeni(Gheevarghese Mar Gregorios of Parumala).
- Makkamkunnu St. Stephen's Orthodox Cathedral (First Church in Pathanamthitta Town Region). It is Famous for Makkamkunnu Convention During three Days Lent.
- 'St. George Orthodox Church, Mylapra', also known as 'Mylapra Valiyapalli famous Georgian pilgrim centre which is 2 km away from the district headquarters. - See more at: http://www.mylapravaliyapalli.com
- Thumpamon St. Mary's Orthodox Cathedral AD 717 (Bhadrasana Devalayam).
- Chandanapally St George Orthodox church -Chandanapally Valiyapally (Feast of St George May 7 & 8 )
- Kalloopara St. Mary's Orthodox church(Lent from 1 to 15th Aug is very Famous)
- Paliekara St. George Orthodox church
- Ponnambi Palli (Pilgrim Church Near Malayalapuzha).
- Pathanamthitta Town Juma Masjid
Pathanamthitta assembly constituency was part of the Idukki (Lok Sabha constituency) but now Pathanamthitta is a separate Lok Sabha constituency. Pathanamthitta comes under Aranmula Assembly constituency. Earlier, Pathanamthitta itself was an Assembly constituency. But after delimitation, Pathanamthitta lost its named constituency.
- Catholicate Higher Secondary School
- Kiddies crown preschool & day care (play school)Near old pvt bus stand.
- St Mary's Central School, Pathanamthitta
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Pathanamthitta
- Holy Angels Model School, Pathanamthitta
- amritha vidialayam KALLARAKADVU PATHANAMTHITTA
- Holy Angles Model SchoolMundukottakal Po Pathanamthitta Kerala
- SDA School,Pathanamthitta,
- Marthoma Higher Secondary School,Pathanamthitta.
- Athurasramam central school,kodunthara, Pathanamthitta
- Arts & Science colleges
- College of Applied Science, Pathanamthitta
- College of Applied Sciences (I.H.R.D), Adoor
- B.A.M. College, Pamba
- Catholicate College, Pathanamthitta
- Devaswom Board College, Parumala
- Marthoma College, Pathanamthitta
- N.S.S. College, Pandalam
- Sahodaran Ayyappan Smaraka. *(S.N.D.P) Yogam College, Konni
- St. Cyrils College, Pathanamthitta
- St. Thomas College, Thuruthicaud
- Ayurveda college
- Mannam Ayurved Medical College, pandalam
- Engineering College
- Caarmel Engineering College, Ranni
- College of Engineering, Kallooppara
- College of Engineering, Pathananthitta
- Mount Zion College of Engineering, Pathanmthitta
- Musliar College of Engineering and Technology, Kumbazha
- Sree Buddha College of Engineering for Women Pathanamthitta
- Medical College
- Pushpagiri Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Pathanamthitta
- College of Nursing, Pathanamthitta
- Archana College of Nursing, Pandalam
- M.G.M. Muthoot College of Nursing, Kallarakadavu, Pathanamthitta
- Pushpagiri College of Nursing, Pathanamthitta
- K.V.V.S. Institute of Technology, Adoor
- Mar Athanasios College for Advanced Studies, Tiruvalla
- Mar Athanasius College of Advanced Studies, Pathanamthitta
- St. John's College Thorrupram, Pathanamthitta
- Govt. Polytechnic (Nodal Polytechnic), Vennikulam
- Govt. Polytechnic, Adoor
- Govt. Polytechnic, Vechoochira
- N.S.S. Polytechnic (Private), Pandalam
- H.H. Marthoma Mathews II Training College, Pathanamthitta
- Kerala University College of Teacher Education, Pathanamthitta
- Mahatma Gandhi University College of Teacher Education, Pathanamthitta
- Mar Severios Memorial Training College, Thiruvalla
- Marthoma Nursery Teacher Training Institute, Tiruvalla
- Marthoma Training College, Edakulam
- N.S.S. Training College, Pathanamthitta
- S.V.G.V. Training College, Aranmula
- Sankaramangalam Training College, Thiruvalla
- St. Mary Women's College of Teacher Education, Thiruvalla
- T.I.T.U.S. II Teachers College, Thiruvalla
- Mar Philexenos ITI,Mylapra
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pathanamthitta.|
- http://www.keralatravels.com/resourcepage.php?sid=14&rid=281 KeralaTravels
- "FallingRain Map". Fallingrain.com. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "Mandala Pooja/ Makaravilakku". Sabarimala.kerala.gov.in. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "About it". Hmmp.org. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "Festivals of India-Aranmula-Vallamkali (Boat Race )". Festivalsofindia.in. 2010-06-15. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "Festivals of India- Aranmula Boat race". Festivalsofindia.in. 2010-06-15. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "The Making of Aranmula kannadi". Youtube.com. 2010-01-04. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "pathanamthittainfo.com". pathanamthittainfo.com. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "Assembly Constituencies – Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies" (PDF). Kerala. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-20.