This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Industry||Musical instrument manufacturing|
|Rob Chapman (guitarist), Lee Anderton, Matt Hornby|
Chapman Guitars is a guitar company established in 2009 by Rob Chapman, a guitarist best known for his videos on YouTube. The company claims to be the first to design its guitars "collaboratively" and the design, features and specs of new models are selected by public votes in online polls on their website.
The company's first production guitar was the ML-1. The ML-1 was initially limited to a run of 500 guitars, although a second batch was produced when the factory which supplied Chapman offered more at a discounted price. The ML-2 was limited to 250 pieces.
In order to make the best guitar for the lowest initial outlay, Chapman chose a design philosophy by which any compromises would be reflected most in the parts which would be most likely and easily replaced later by the owner. Thus those components of the ML-1 which were not so easily replaced could be of the very highest quality that the limited budget allowed; the ML-1 featured a solid mahogany Fender Stratocaster-style body, a maple neck and an ebony fingerboard. The ML-1's body and distinctive reverse-style headstock had a simple, satin black finish. The ML-1 was priced for the entry level market when it initially retailed for £299, but the second batch allowed its price to be reduced even further to £199. The ML-1's second batch suffered from further decreased quality control, with some customers complaining of sharp/unfinished fret work and generally poor craftsmanship. This deviation in quality control was a deciding factor for the manufacture of Chapman Guitars to be moved to World Musical Instruments, South Korea.
- ML-1 – The first Monkey Lord-approved model, S-Shaped guitar with HSS pickup configuration. From February 2014, it is available in Natural Ash (due to the success of the Special Run of natural finish swamp ash ML-1s during late 2013).
- ML-2 – The second Monkey Lord-approved model, LP-Shaped guitar with HH pickup configuration.
- ML-3 Modern & ML-3 Traditional – Two guitars designed in 2014 with many choices determined by voting.
- ML-7S – ML-1 shaped 7 string guitar model in mahogany body.
- ML-7T – ML-3 shaped 7 string guitar model in ash body.
- ML-V - V-shaped, unveiled at NAMM 2017.
- ML-1 CAP10 – Lee "The Captain" Anderton signature model with HSH configuration of Seymour Duncan pickups. The first Chapman signature model.
- ML-1 BEA – Rabea Massaad signature model with two Seymour Duncan humbuckers.
- ML-3 RC – Rob Chapman signature model.
- Rob Chapman Signature Ghost Fret
- ML-1 Natural Ash – Limited run of natural finish swamp ash ML-1s during late 2013. From February 2014 it is available as standard option.
- ML-1 CAP10 Blackout – The same specs as the white CAP10 but with black body and black pickguard.
- ML1 CAP10 America - Similar specs as the standard CAP10, but with a Cherry Sunburst finish, white Pickguard and Maple fingerboard
- ML-1 Hot Rod – Limited run of natural finish swamp ash ML-1s with single Seymour Duncan JB humbucker pickup and Floyd Rose during early 2014.
- ML-2 Classic – Gold sparkle ML-2 with Seymour Duncan humbucker pickups and phase reversal capability.
- ML-1 Norseman - a special version of the ML1 which was designed by Chapman Guitars and their Norwegian retailer, Evenstad Musikk.
- MLB-1 – 4-string bass
- ML1-8 RS - Rob Scallon 8-string signature model.
- ML1 RS - Rob Scallon 6-string signature model.
At NAMM 2017, Chapman Guitars introduced a completely new line of guitars, which will replace all of the models that came before it (except for the Rob Scallon and Lee Anderton signature models). For the first time, Chapman are making some of the models in Indonesia.
Standard Series (made in Indonesia)
The Standard series guitars are made in Indonesia, having Maple necks with bolt on constructions, Veneers instead of thick maple caps, dot inlays, gloss finishes and are made to be cheaper versions of the Korean models.
- ML-1 Modern - A Strat shaped guitar with HH pickup configuration, has a Mahogany body with a Maple veneer, Ebony fingerboard and Chapman Sonorous Zero pickups. available with Lunar (black) or Midnight Sky (dark blue) finishes.
There is also a 28' scale baritone version, which has a Swamp Ash veneer, locking tuners and a Graphite (dark brown) finish.
- ML-1 traditional - a more traditional style Strat shaped guitar with SSS pickup configuration, has an Ash body, Maple fingerboard, brass saddles and Chapman Venus Witch Zero singlecoil pickups, available with Lunar or Coffee-burst finishes
- ML-2 - a Gibson shaped guitar with 25' scale length, features a Mahogany body with a Maple veneer, Ebony fingerboard, Set-Neck construction and Chapman Stentorian Zero pickups. available with White Dove (with covered pickups) and Lunar (with uncovered pickups) finishes
- ML-3 Modern - a Tele shaped guitar with HH pickup configuration, has a Mahogany body with a Maple veneer, Ebony fingerboard and Chapman Sonorous Zero pickups. aveilable with Lunar or Incarnadine (bright red) finishes.
- ML-3 traditional - a more traditional style Tele shaped guitar with SS pickup configuration, has a Mahogany body with a Maple veneer, Maple fingerboard, brass saddles and Chapman Mojohand Zero singlecoil pickups, available with White Dove or Honey-burst finishes
- Ghost Fret - a Gibson Explorer shaped guitar with 24.75' scale length, has a Mahogany body with a Maple veneer, Ebony fingerboard, Set-Neck construction and Chapman Premordial Zero pickups. Available with Black Blood (faded red) and Lunar finishes
Pro Series and Signature Series (made in Korea)
The Pro series guitars are made in South Korea, featuring 3-piece Maple neck-through necks, stainless steel frets, satin finishes, solid carved tops with body cut-aways, strap-locks, Hipshot open-gear tuners and glow in the dark side inlays.
- ML1 Pro Modern - HH pickup configuration, has a Mahogany body with a Maple top, Ebony fingerboard and Chapman Sonorous pickups. available with Lunar (black) or Sun (bright brown) finishes.
- ML1 Pro Traditional - a more traditional model with an SSS pickup configuration, has an Ash body, Maple fingerboard, brass saddles and Chapman Venus Witch singlecoil pickups, available with White Dove or natural wood finishes
- ML2 Pro Modern - 25' scale length, features a Mahogany body with a Maple top, Ebony fingerboard and Chapman Stentorian pickups. available with Fireburst (Cherry Sunburst) and Dusk (bright blue burst) finishes
- ML3 Pro Modern - HH pickup configuration, has a Mahogany body, Ebony fingerboard and Chapman Sonorous pickups. a recreation of the old ML-3 RC model, available with Lunar or Black Cherry (dark red) finishes.
- ML3 Traditional - a more traditional guitar with an SS pickup configuration, has an Ash body, Maple fingerboard, brass saddles and Chapman Mojohand singlecoil pickups. a recreation of the old ML3 Traditional, available with Triton (bright blue) or Shadow (black) finishes
- Ghost Fret Pro - 24.75' scale length, has a Mahogany body with a Maple top, Ebony fingerboard and Chapman Premordial pickups. Available with Dusk and Lunar finishes
- MLV Pro Modern - 25.5' scale length. comes with a Mahogany body, Mahogany neck, Ebony fingerboard, locking tuners, a Floyd Rose floating tremolo bridge and Chapman Stentorian pickup, designed by the fans through votes in the summer of 2015 and available with Lunar or Iris (purple burst) finishes
- ML3 BEA - Rabea Massaad's signature guitar with HS pickup configuration, Alder body, Paduak neck with bolt-on construction, Ebony fingerboard and Chapman Henchman pickups. Available with Smoke finish with a Wilkinson tremolo bridge or Crimson finish with a fixed bridge as a 28' scale Baritone.
- ML1-8 RS - continuing Rob Scallon 8-string signature model.
- ML1 RS - continuing Rob Scallon 6-string signature model.
- "CHAPMAN GUITARS LTD - Officers (free information from Companies House)". beta.companieshouse.gov.uk.
- "How Rob Chapman Rallied a YouTube Army to Change Guitar Design FOREVER! - Performer Mag". performermag.com.
- "Chapman Guitars Vote". Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- "Chapman Guitars ML-2". Retrieved 27 February 2017.