|Subsidiary of Ascena Retail Group|
|Headquarters||Bensalem, Pennsylvania, U.S.|
|Jim P. Fogarty - President and Chief Executive Officer|
|Revenue||$811 Million USD (2008)|
Number of employees
|Slogan||Celebrating the lives and fashion image of plus-size women|
Charming Shoppes is a specialty and plus size clothing retail holding company based in Bensalem, Pennsylvania; a suburb of Philadelphia. Its subsidiaries are Lane Bryant, Cacique and Catherines Plus. Clothes are sold from over 2300 retail stores in the United States, as well as numerous catalogs and online sites.
Charming Shoppes was founded in 1940, went public in 1971, and was ranked 810th on the 2010 Fortune 1000. On May 2, 2012, Charming Shoppes announced it will merge with Ascena Retail Group, parent company of DressBarn with a $900 million transaction through a combination of cash on hand and $325 million of borrowings from credit facilities. 
Services and products
The Company's operation are divided into two segments: Retail Stores and Direct-to-Consumer.
- The Retail Stores segment derives its revenues from sales through retail stores and store-related e-commerce sales under its Lane Bryant (including Lane Bryant Outlet), Fashion Bug, and Catherines Plus Sizes brands.
- Lane Bryant — A retailer of specialty plus-size fashion, Lane Bryant was acquired by Charming Shoppes in 2001. With more than 900 stores nationwide, Lane Bryant stores sell clothes for plus size women. In July 2006, Charming Shoppes launched Lane Bryant Outlet.
- Fashion Bug — As Charming Shoppes' largest brand with nearly 1,000 stores nationwide, Fashion Bug was a women's fashion apparel retailer located in strip shopping centers. Fashion Bug offered fashion apparel and accessories in plus and misses. In June 2012, Charming Shoppes announced that Fashion Bug stores will be closing. The final stores closed in February 2013.
- Catherines Plus — A plus-size specialty retailer with more than 500 stores throughout the country, the Catherines brand targets women 40–65 years old and sells clothing and accessories for career and casual wear.
- The Direct-to-Consumer segment derives its revenues from catalog sales and catalog-related e-commerce sales under its FIGI’S title, a leading food gift retailer. On Oct 16, the company announced that it has closed the sale of Figi's, to Mason Companies, Inc.
Charming Shoppes is a company with social responsibility. It works with many charities to help the people in need.
- Relay for Life: During the American Cancer Society Relay For Life events all the round the country, DressBarn and maurices form a team with their customers to raise funds for the Relay for Life. What's more, to support the events, dressbarn introduces its 'Circle of Hope' charm bracelet to sell. The entire net profit coming from sales of the charm bracelets will be donated to the American Cancer Society. In addition, in support of the Relay for Life events, DressBarn encourages communities around the country to work together.
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer: DressBarn helps its cooperator American Cancer Society raise funds for local and national breast cancer to support Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Since 2003,the DressBarn has been holding in-store campaign every year, during the campaign, the clothes are very cheap, which has been a part of dressbarn's ongoing relationship with the American Cancer Society.
- Staff (May 2, 2012), "Charming Shoppes to be sold for $890M", Philadelphia Business Journal (Morning Edition ed.), retrieved May 27, 2012
- Charming Shoppes catalogs
- Charming Shoppes history
- "Fortune 500 - Fortune". Fortune. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- James Palczynski, Gayle M Coolick, James McCusker, ed. (May 2, 2012), Ascena Retail Group, Inc. Reaches Agreement to Acquire Charming Shoppes, Inc. (press release), Thomson Reuters, retrieved May 27, 2012
- "Ascena Retail Group, Inc. Completes Acquisition of Charming Shoppes, Inc. - Business Wire". businesswire.com. 15 June 2012. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- "Charming Shoppes, Inc.: quotes & news - Google Finance". google.com. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- "Ascena Retail Group Announces Closing of Figi's Sale". Benzinga. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- Giving Back:Relay for life
- "News Release". corporate-ir.net. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- Giving Back:Making Strikes
- "Making Strides National Corporate Supporters". cancer.org. Retrieved 28 May 2015.