Cleavage and polyadenylation specificity factor
Cleavage and polyadenylation specificity factor (CPSF) is involved in the cleavage of the 3' signaling region from a newly synthesized pre-messenger RNA (pre-mRNA) molecule in the process of gene transcription. It is the first protein to bind to the signaling region near the cleavage site of the pre-mRNA, to which the poly(A) tail will be added by polynucleotide adenylyltransferase. The upstream signaling region has the canonical nucleotide sequence AAUAAA, which is highly conserved across the vast majority of pre-mRNAs. A second downstream signaling region, located on the portion of the pre-mRNA that is cleaved before polyadenylation, consists of a GU-rich region required for efficient processing.
CPSF-160 is the largest subunit of CPSF and directly binds to the AAUAAA polyadenylation signal.
CPSF recruits proteins to the 3' region. Identified proteins that are coordinated by CPSF activity include: cleavage stimulatory factor and the two poorly understood cleavage factors. The binding of the polynucleotide adenylyltransferase responsible for actually synthesizing the tail is a necessary prerequisite for cleavage, thus ensuring that cleavage and polyadenylation are tightly coupled processes.
- Mandel, Corey R.; Kaneko, Syuzo; Zhang, Hailong; Gebauer, Damara; Vethantham, Vasupradha; Manley, James L.; Tong, Liang (26 November 2006). "Polyadenylation factor CPSF-73 is the pre-mRNA 3'-end-processing endonuclease". Nature. 444 (7121): 953–956. PMID 17128255. doi:10.1038/nature05363. Retrieved 17 December 2014.
- Murthy, Kanneganti G K; Manley, James L (1 November 1995). "The 160-kD subunit of human cleavage-polyadenylation specificity factor coordinates pre-mRNA 3'-end formation". Genes & Development. 9 (21): 2672–2683. PMID 7590244. doi:10.1101/gad.9.21.2672. Retrieved 17 December 2014.
- Lodish H, Berk A, Matsudaira P, Kaiser CA, Krieger M, Scott MP, Zipursky SL, Darnell J. (2004). Molecular Cell Biology. WH Freeman: New York, NY. 5th ed.
- Murthy, KG; Manley, JL (1995). "The 160-kD subunit of human cleavage-polyadenylation specificity factor coordinates pre-mRNA 3'-end formation". Genes Dev. 9: 2672–2683. PMID 7590244. doi:10.1101/gad.9.21.2672.
- Cleavage And Polyadenylation Specificity Factor at the US National Library of Medicine Medical Subject Headings (MeSH)
|This protein-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|