Compaq Presario V3000
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Compaq Presario V3000 Notebook PC, first released by Compaq in June 2006 offered advanced modularity compared to the standard at the time of its debut. The various series came with the option of Intel® Core™ Duo, Core Solo, or Celeron® processors for the Intel chipset; AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology or Mobile AMD Sempron™ processors for the AMD chipset, and sported extensive multimedia support.
The following processors were available, but varied by specific computer model:
- Intel Core Duo T7200 (2.00-GHz)
- Intel Core Duo T5600 (1.83-GHz)
- Intel Core Duo T5500 (1.66-GHz)
- Intel Core Duo T5200 (1.60-GHz)
- Intel Core Duo T2600 (2.16-GHz)
- Intel Core Duo T2500 (2.00-GHz)
- Intel Core Duo T2400 (1.83-GHz)
- Intel Core Duo T2250 (1.73-GHz)
- Intel Core Duo T2300 (1.66-GHz)
- Intel Core Duo T2350 (1.60-GHz)
- Intel Core Duo T2060 (1.60-GHz)
- Intel Core Duo T2050 (1.60-GHz)
- Intel Core Solo T1350 (1.80-GHz)
- AMD Turion Dual Core, TL-60 (2.0-GHz)
- AMD Turion 64, MK-36 (2.00-GHz)
- AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58 (1.90 GHz)
- AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-56 (1.80-GHz)
- AMD Turion ML-52 (1.60-GHz)
- AMD Turion ML-50 (1.60-GHz) Mobile
- AMD Sempron 3500+ (1.80-GHz) Mobile
- AMD Sempron 3400+ (1.80-GHz) Mobile
- AMD Sempron 3200+ (1.60-GHz)
The motherboard in the Compaq Presario V3614au with an AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58 is a Wistron 30D6 motherboard with the Nvidia nForce 560 chipset.
14.1-inch WXGA (1280 × 800) TFT display with over 16.7 million colors, varying by computer model. One (1) S-Video-out port (select models only), and one (1) VGA external monitor port.
Random Access Memory (RAM)
The Compaq Presario V3000 laptops used either DDR or DDR2 SDRAM. Compaq Presario V3000 Laptops can be expaneded up to 4GB in capacity. Compaq Presario V3000 laptops feature two RAM slots.
Operating System (OS)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition, Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional, or Free DOS, varying by computer model. Though many of the models also came with "Windows® Vista® Compatible" stickers placed below the keyboard off to the right hand side of the touchpad unit.
Despite the laptop being 10 years old in 2017, users can install Windows 8.1 to "revive" the laptop.
Integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet local area network (LAN) network interface card (NIC) with RJ-45 jack. Integrated high-speed 56K modem with RJ-11 jack, and integrated wireless support for a Mini Card IEEE 802.11b and 802.11b/g WLAN device.
Integrated Card Reader
Support for Secure Digital (SD) Memory Card, MultiMediaCard (MMC), Secure Digital Input/Output (SD I/O), Memory Stick (MS), Memory Stick Pro (MSP), xD-Picture Card (XD), and xDPicture Card (XD) Type M. The card reader is located on the left side of the unit close to the wireless adapter ON/OFF switch.
An external 65-watt or 90-watt AC adapter with 3-wire power cord and the option of either a 6-cell (4400mAh 43Wh) or 12-cell (8800mAh 95Wh) Li-Ion battery.
Dual Altec Lansing stereo speakers located close to the display with touch-activated volume up and down buttons. Integrated microphone(s) (select models only) located generally at the top of the display. One audio-in (microphone) and one audio-out (headphone) 1/8" jacks.
Optical Media Support
The V3000 came standard with support for a DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive, DVD±RW/R and CD-RW Double-Layer Combo Drive, or DVD±RW/R and CD-RW Double-Layer Combo Drive with LightScribe technology.
Data Transfer Connections
Three (3) external USB 2.0 connections, and one (1) IEEE 1394 (Firewire) digital connection (on select models only).
- There have been claims that while it is not listed in the Compaq Presario V3000 Service Guide, the V3020US (AMD Turion X2 TL-50 1.6Ghz) model can actually support and utilize up to 4GB (2 x 2GB) of 200-Pin SO-DIMM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) when used in conjunction with a 64-bit operating system, the author of this article can confirm that claim based on personal experience.
- There have also been claims that while it is not listed in the Compaq Preario V3000 Service Guide, the V3020US model can support an AMD Turion X2 TL-64 2.2Ghz processor upgrade, the author of this article can also confirm that claim based upon personal experience. However, if you browse articles and forums and follow the people currently using or have used V3000 in the past, they have been using 2X2GB (4GB) RAM quite successfully (the two RAMs should be identical in all aspects). Microsoft WinXP shows the RAM as 3Gb but once it is upgraded to a x64 OS, the RAM shows as 4GB and works flawlessly.
- The Compaq Maintenance and Service Guide for the Compaq Presario V3000 Notebook PC