داريّا، الغوطة الغربية، دمشق
|Governorate||Rif Dimashq Governorate|
|• Mayor||Marwan Ubeid|
|Elevation||689 m (2,260 ft)|
|Population (2004 census)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
The city had a population of 78,763 as of 2005[update], making it the 19th largest city per geographical entity in Syria. Darayya has an altitude of 689 metres (2,260 feet). It is one of the oldest cities in Syria, reportedly the place where Paul the Apostle had his conversion (30s AD), "on Damascus road". Patriarch Gregory III Laham, the current leader of the Melkite Greek Catholic Church was born here on 15 December 1933 as Lutfy Laham.
Darayya during Syrian Civil War
Darayya has seen heavy fighting during the Syrian Civil War. The city was an early hotspot for anti-government protests. In August 2012, opposition groups denounced that government forces performed a mass killing that was later known as Darayya massacre, and a second time on 4 January 2013. However, as of summer 2013 fighting continued in the city with most of the municipality controlled by the armed opposition forces.
By mid-2016, the Syrian Army controlled approximately 65% of Darayya, steadily advancing and tightening the siege. In August 2016, an agreement allowed for the evacuation of rebel fighters as well as civilians. Some 700 rebels were safely transported to the rebel stronghold city of Idlib in the north. This agreement was essentially a rebel surrender.
- General Census of Population and Housing 2004. Syria Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS). Rif Dimashq Governorate. (in Arabic)
- Mahmood, Mona; Harding, Luke (28 August 2012). "Syria's worst massacre: Daraya death toll reaches 400". theguardian.com.
- Сирия пересчитывает расстрелянных (Коммерсантъ, 27 августа 2012)
- Сирийские войска вытеснили боевиков с юго-запада Дамаска (in Russian)
- Эвакуация раненого солдата под Дамаском
- Fadel, Leith (2016-08-05). "Syrian Army seizes large chunks of strategic west Damascus town". Retrieved 2016-08-10.
- "Syria Darayya: Deal reached to evacuate besieged town". bbc.com. 26 August 2016.
- "Rebels to surrender Syrian town of Darayya to Assad's forces". theguardian.com. 25 August 2016.
- Darayya, Rif Dimashq Video of bombardment of Darayya during the Syrian civil war - YouTube.
-  Syria's secret library - BBC News