Detroit Lions Radio Network
The Detroit Lions Radio Network is a network of 36 radio stations (34 in Michigan and two in Toledo, Ohio) that broadcasts all of the NFL's Detroit Lions games and related programming. All preseason, regular season, and postseason games are aired live throughout the network.
The flagship stations are Detroit sister stations WXYT (1270 AM) and WXYT-FM (97.1 FM). If the Detroit Tigers, Detroit Red Wings, or Detroit Pistons (for whom the stations are also flagships) are playing at the same time, then WXYT-FM will carry the Lions' game, while the Tigers or Red Wings game airs on WXYT-AM or the Pistons game airs on WWJ (950 AM). The Lions and WXYT AM/FM renewed their partnership for three more seasons on October 9, 2009.
The current announcers are Dan Miller with play-by-play, Jim Brandstatter with color commentary, and Tony Ortiz with sideline reports. WXYT-FM's Dan Hasty is the network studio host, and he also does updates of other games around the league during the game as well as at halftime.
Wrap around shows
The network's pre-game show which begins one hour before game-time is called Lions GameDay, in which Miller and Brandstatter, joined by Dave Birkett (Lions beat writer for The Detroit Free Press) and Tim Twentyman (Lions beat writer for NFL.com) discuss the day's game and predict the outcome. Tony Ortiz joins in and also does a preview of the opponent as well as injury reports. Dan Hasty previews other games and reports news from around the league from WXYT-FM's studio.
The network's post game show includes locker-room interviews with coaches and players by Brandstatter and Ortiz, as well as all press conferences, then the game wrapup by Miller in which he mentions all of the game's statistics and looks ahead to the next game.
|Ann Arbor||WLBY||1290 AM|
|Battle Creek||WBCK||95.3 FM|
|Big Rapids||WBRN||1460 AM|
|Glen Arbor / Frankfort||WGFN||98.1 FM|
|Grand Rapids||WBFX||101.3 FM|
|Iron Mountain||WMIQ||1450 AM|
|Port Huron||WPHM||1380 AM|
|South Haven||WCSY||103.7 FM|
|St. Joseph||WSJM||1400 AM|
|Sault Ste. Marie||WNBY||93.9 FM|
|Toledo, Ohio||WLQR||1470 AM|
|Traverse City||WGFN||98.1 FM|
Games are also aired on Sirius XM Radio
- Dan Miller has been the radio play-by-play voice of the Lions since 2005. Miller succeeded Mark Champion, who had called play-by-play for the team from 1989-2004.
- Other past announcers for Lions radio include Frank Beckmann and Bob Reynolds.
- Tony Ortiz has been providing Lions sideline reports since 2001. He produced Lions games broadcasts from 1991-1994.
- WXYT-AM was the sole flagship station of the network from 1998-2004.
- In 2005, the Lions' flagship became an FM station for the first time in their history, when a long term agreement was signed with WKRK.
- Detroit's WWJ was the team's flagship station prior to 1998, and continued to simulcast WXYT-AM's broadcasts prior to the team's move to WKRK. Prior to 1989, WJR had served as the Lions' radio flagship.
- Former names of the network include "The WXYT 1270 Detroit Lions Radio Network", "The WKRK Detroit Lions Radio Network", and "The Live 97.1 Detroit Lions Radio Network" (WKRK-FM is WXYT-FM's former callsign, and Live 97.1 is one of its former brandings).