Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike are a Greek/Belgian DJ duo composed of brothers Dimitri Thivaios and Michael Thivaios. They were ranked No. 1 in 2015 and 2019, and were ranked No. 2 in 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 on DJ Mag's Top 100 DJs list.
They have performed at numerous festivals worldwide such as EXIT festival, Electric Daisy Carnival, Electric Zoo, Parookaville, UNTOLD, Creamfields and Tomorrowland, where they have been the official resident DJs since 2010. They have held summer DJ residencies in Ibiza at Amnesia (2014-2016) and more recently Ushuaïa Ibiza (2017 to present).
They run the record label Smash the House which was founded in 2010, and have collaborated with artists that include Afrojack, Armin van Buuren, Daddy Yankee, David Guetta, Era Istrefi, Fatboy Slim, Gucci Mane, Hardwell, Martin Garrix, Paris Hilton, Steve Angello, Sebastian Yatra and Kid Ink, and have remixed artists such as Lady Gaga and the Chainsmokers.
Pre–2009: Early life and career
Known by their stage names, Dimitri Vegas (Dimitri Thivaios) and Like Mike (Michael Thivaios) were born on  The brothers grew up in the Flemish town of Willebroek. They began to make their first steps as DJs reportedly at a young age. Very quickly, they made several appearances in small clubs and were resident BeatFM radio DJs. Dimitri then left Flanders in 1999 and began touring Europe. He lived in Mallorca and then in Halkidiki, Greece before moving to Ibiza in 2003, where he was a resident in major clubs such as Privilege and Space.16 May 1982 and 3 December 1985 respectively, and were both born in Belgium. Dimitri and Michael Thivaios are of Greek origin.
2009–present: Breakthrough and success
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (May 2020)
Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike released their first single in 2009, "Liquid Skies" under the alias DNM. In 2010, after founding their own record label Smash the House, they were tasked with writing the official anthem for the 2010 edition of Tomorrowland, "Tomorrow (Give in to the Night)". This song was their first top 20 hit, peaking at number 16 in Belgium. The duo continued to write the Tomorrowland anthems up to the 2014 edition, this included the 2013 anthem "Chattahoochee" which peaked at number two in the Belgian charts. 2013 also saw the release of "Tremor" with Dutch DJ Martin Garrix which, in 2018, Billboard named their best song.
In May 2015, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike scored their first Belgian number one with "The Hum". Charlie Sheen and Jean-Claude Van Damme starred in the song's official music video. "The Hum" was quickly followed by the release of "Higher Place" (featuring Ne-Yo) which also peaked at number one in Belgium, both songs also certified platinum in the duo's home country. At Amsterdam Dance Event 2015, the duo were voted as the world's number one DJ, by DJ Magazine, being the first Belgians to do so. 2016 saw the group's third number one and platinum single with "Hey Baby". and they finished runners-up in DJ Mag's top 100 DJ poll behind Martin Garrix.
2017 saw the release of their platinum selling single "Complicated", certifying in both Belgium and The Netherlands, in addition to their long-awaited festivals gimmick "Crowd Control". They also released a rendition of "He's a Pirate" with Hans Zimmer for the Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales movie that same year. At Tomorrowland, the duo debuted their "Garden of Madness" stage at the festival which has been a part of the event ever since.
On 22 June 2018, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike released the single "When I Grow Up", with American rapper Wiz Khalifa. The music video for "When I Grow Up" was directed by Belgian directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah, who had recently cast Dimitri & Mike for an acting role in their Belgian movie film Gangsta. On 28 September the duo released the song "Bounce" featuring Bassjackers, Julian Banks and Snoop Dogg.
On 15 February 2019, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike and Era Istrefi released "Selfish"  which achieved the number one position on the Billboard Dance Chart. On 10 May 2019, Dimitri & Mike released their song "Best Friends Ass" with Paris Hilton. The music video for the single featured a number of known personalities including YouTubers Nikita Dragun, Vitaly Zdorovetskiy and Juanpa Zurita, singer-songwriter Chester Lockhart, former UFC fighter Chuck Liddell and Kim Kardashian. Later in 2019, they achieved their first 2× platinum single with "Instagram", a collaboration with David Guetta, Daddy Yankee, Afro Bros and Natti Natasha. In addition to this, after three years in second place, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike reclaimed their place as world's No.1 DJs in the DJ Mag Top 100 DJs Poll. The brothers closed the decade with a collaboration with Sebastian Yatra, Afro Bros, Camilo and Emilia on ‘Boomshakalaka’.
On 24 July 2020, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike along with DJ Regard released a dance cover of Destiny's Child "Say My Name". The following day the duo played the closing set for the first virtual festival held by Tomorrowland. The event named "Tomorrowland Around the World" took place on 25 July and 26 July as a replacement for the usual festival which was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
"3 Are Legend" project
3 Are Legend is a supergroup consisting of Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike and American DJ Steve Aoki. The trio have performed together at several music festivals such as TomorrowWorld, Tomorrowland, Creamfields, Ultra Music Festival and Untold. They officially first performed under the 3 Are Legend alias at the 2014 edition of Ultra Music Festival.
Dimitri Vegas is a big comic book fan and owns a large collection, with his favourite being the Spider-Man series. In 2017, Dimitri married Belgian-born DJ and producer Mattn in Ibiza. Vegas has also appeared in several feature films that include The Bouncer, Men in Black: International and Rambo: Last Blood.
Like Mike, in addition to his music career, also writes, produces and raps under the same name. In February 2020 Mike announced the launch of his own record label Green Room for his solo music projects.
On 19 and 20 December 2014, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike hosted their first concert at Antwerp's Sportpaleis with the event concept "Bringing the World the Madness", which saw 40,000 fans joining them over the two day event. The following year they announced the 2016 edition of the arena show at Antwerp's Sportpaleis increasing the run of dates to four nights (16, 17, 18, 19 December). Tomorrowland founder Michiel Beers The duo's manager, Nick Royaards, help produce and manage the annual event concepts, with Tomorrowland providing production behind all of the shows.
In November 2016, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike played a "Bringing Germany the Madness" concert, in association with World Club Dome Winter Edition show, at the Veltins Arena in Gelsenkirchen, Germany. The concert entered the German history books following a record-breaking show that saw Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike play to a crowd of 45,000 people — the biggest solo DJ show in Germany ever.
For 2019, Vegas & Mike rebranded their annual concert at Antwerp's Sportpaleis as "Tomorrowland Presents Garden of Madness". The line-up for the 2019 edition featured guests DJs Armin van Buuren, Netsky, Nicky Romero and Lil Kleine. In the build up to the homecoming show in Belgium, Vegas & Mike also toured the Garden of Madness show in Liverpool and New York.
Awards and nominations
|2014||Best Electro House DJ||N/A||Nominated|||
|2015||Best Electro/Progressive House DJ||Nominated|||
|Best International DJ||Nominated|
|2016||Best Big Room House DJ||Nominated|||
|Best International DJ||Nominated|
|2017||Best Big Room House DJ||Nominated|||
DJ Magazine top 100 DJs
International Dance Music Awards
|2013||Best Breakthrough DJ||N/A||Won|||
|2014||Best European DJ||N/A||Won|||
|2015||Best European DJ||N/A||Won|||
|2016||Best R&B/Urban Dance Track||"Higher Place"||Nominated|||
|Best Electro/Progressive House Track||"Higher Place"||Nominated|
|Best European DJ||N/A||Won|
|2020||Best Male (Dance / Electronic)||N/A||Won|||
MTV Europe Music Awards
|2014||Best Belgian Act||Dmitri Vegas & Like Mike||Won|
|2015||Best Belgian Act||Dmitri Vegas & Like Mike||Won|
|2018||Best Belgian Act||Dmitri Vegas & Like Mike||Won|
NRJ Music Awards
|2016||Best Collaboration of the Year||N/A||Nominated|||
|DJ Award D'Honneur||Won|
WDM Radio Awards
|2017||Best Party DJ||N/A||Nominated|||
|2018||Best Bass Track||"Complicated"||Nominated|
YouTube Creator Awards
- Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike
- (4.47 million subscribers - May 2020)
- "DJ Mag: Top 100 DJs". DJ Mag. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- "Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike - Artists - AMF Festival". AMF Festival. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike - Biography & History". AllMusic.
- "Lake Festival 2016 - Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike". www.lake-festival.at. Archived from the original on 10 September 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "DIMITRI VEGAS & LIKE MIKE nominated at MTV EMA's". 17 September 2014. Archived from the original on 11 September 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Liquid Skies". Open.spotify.com. 1 May 2009. Retrieved 28 October 2017.
- Menon, Dhriti (23 July 2014). "The 5 Tomorrowland Anthems Worth Reliving". Sherpa Land.
- "The 10 Best Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike Songs (Updated 2018) | Billboard". www.billboard.com. 22 May 2018.
- "The Hum (Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike Vs. Ummet Ozcan) - EP by Ummet Ozcan & Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike". Apple Music. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- "WTF? A sweary Charlie Sheen shows up in music video". Metro. 8 May 2015. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- "Top 100 DJs". DJMag.com.
- "Goud/Platina". nvpi.nl.
- "Crowd Control". Open.spotify.com. 20 October 2017. Retrieved 28 October 2017.
- "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)". Open.spotify.com. 26 May 2017. Retrieved 28 October 2017.
- "When I Grow Up - Single by Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike & Wiz Khalifa". Apple Music. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- "Wiz Khalifa, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike's 'When I Grow Up' Video & Exclusive Interview | Billboard". web.archive.org. 23 June 2018. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- Gangsta, retrieved 30 July 2020
- "Bounce (feat. Snoop Dogg) - Single by Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, Julian Banks & Bassjackers". Apple Music. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- "Selfish - Single by Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike & Era Istrefi". Apple Music. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- "Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike". Billboard. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- "Best Friend's Ass - Single by Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike & Paris Hilton". Apple Music. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- "Kim Kardashian Makes Her Anticipated Cameo in Paris Hilton's 'Best Friend's A--' Music Video". PEOPLE.com. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- "List of singles". www.ultratop.be. Retrieved 15 June 2020.
- "Instagram (feat. Afro Bros & Natti Natasha) - Single by Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, David Guetta & Daddy Yankee". Apple Music. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- "Say My Name - Single by Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike & Regard". Apple Music. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- "Tomorrowland announces virtual festival will take place next month". DJMag.com. 4 June 2020. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- "Around the World". www.tomorrowland.com. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- "Dim Mak Presents Phase 1 of Miami Party". Your EDM. 27 February 2015. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- "Dimitri Vegas: EDM is music of this generation". 7 October 2015.
- Provost, Brittany (11 August 2017). "Dimitri Vegas Has Tied the Knot With MATTN, And Stunning Doesn't Even Begin To Describe Their Photos; EDM Tunes". Retrieved 13 September 2019.
- Halperin, Shirley (19 May 2019). "Dimitri Vegas Talks 'Rambo V: Last Blood' Role, Working With Sylvester Stallone". Variety. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- Todoroski, About the Author / James (8 February 2020). "Like Mike launches new label 'Green Room' for solo projects". We Rave You. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- "Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike return to Antwerp for a run of 3 sold-out Sportpaleis Arena shows! • Festivalling.com". Festivalling.com. 18 December 2015. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- Nikjou, Kayvan. "Is Tomorrowland World's Best Music Festival?". Forbes. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- "Billboard Dance Power Players 2019: The Managers, Live Leaders & Tastemakers Shaping the Genre". Billboard. 28 March 2019. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- "World Club Dome Winter Edition - Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike @ Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen | 12.11.2016 | Fotogalerie". www.duesseldorf-tonight.de (in German). Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- "DIMITRI VEGAS & LIKE MIKE BREAK RECORD FOR BIGGEST SOLO DJ PERFORMANCE IN GERMANY". DJMag.com. 18 November 2016. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- "Tomorrowland presents: Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike - Garden of Madness". www.sportpaleis.be. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
- Turner, Tim (24 September 2014). "DJ Awards 2014 Winners Announced".
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Poll 2020: Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike". DJMag.com.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 7 March 2013. Retrieved 2 September 2018.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 12 March 2014. Retrieved 2 September 2018.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 6 April 2017. Retrieved 2 September 2018.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 30 June 2016. Retrieved 2 September 2018.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "The 33rd annual International Dance Music Awards (IDMA) announces nominees". 26 February 2019.
- "WMC - 34th Annual International Dance Music Awards". WMC · Winter Music Conference.
- Bhagtani, About the Author / Lakshay (1 April 2020). "IDMA 2020 winners announced: Avicii's 'Tim' named as the best album".
- "Palmares NRJ DJ AWARDS 2016 - Meilleurs DJs". NRJ.fr (in French). Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- "WDM Radio Awards 2017 by LOS40". 7 March 2017. Archived from the original on 7 March 2017.