Disney's Wilderness Lodge
|Disney's Wilderness Lodge|
|Location||Magic Kingdom Resort Area|
|Resort type||Deluxe Resort|
|Opened||May 28, 1994|
|Suites||Honeymoon Suite, Yosemite Suite, Yellowstone Suite|
|The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge|
|Location||Magic Kingdom Resort Area|
|Resort type||Disney Vacation Club Resort|
|Opened||November 15, 2000|
Disney's Wilderness Lodge is a AAA Four-Diamond Award–winning resort hotel located at the Walt Disney World Resort. It opened on May 28, 1994. The resort is owned and operated by Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Disney's Wilderness Lodge is located in the Magic Kingdom Resort Area on Bay Lake. The resort is also located near Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground. A similarly-themed resort, Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, is located at the Disneyland Resort in California.
The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, a Disney Vacation Club Timeshare resort on the site, was announced in 1998, and the property first accepted guests in November 2000. The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge are adjacent to Disney's Wilderness Lodge, whose design is based on the National Park lodges of America's Pacific Northwest. The Vacation Club Villas are themed to the antecedent lodgings built by workers on the transcontinental railroad in the late 19th century, and contain an array of railroad memorabilia and artwork. The accommodations include Studio units with a kitchenette, as well as one and two-bedroom villas with a larger kitchen and living space. In late 2015, Disney began an extensive building project to expand the Villas with waterside units similar to those found over the water at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, as well as enhanced recreation and dining facilities.
This hotel was designed by Peter Dominick. It is themed with an atmosphere of the Pacific Northwest, and features both natural and Native American elements. The main building was modeled after the Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone National Park. An artificial geyser and hot springs are located on the resort grounds.
The resort has several dining options, including room service. Guests staying on the 7th-floor Concierge level can access the Old Faithful Club, which offers continental breakfast, cheese and wine tastings, and beverages and snacks throughout the day. Dining at the resort includes:
- Artist Point: Upscale restaurant serving food prepared in the style of the American Northwest, featuring meals from Washington State, Oregon, and British Columbia. These include dinners such as cedar plank salmon, and grilled buffalo.
- Whispering Canyon Cafe: Old-West themed interactive restaurant serving family style American fare for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Roaring Fork Snacks: Casual eatery serving American fare with a North West influence for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Territory Lounge: Bar adjoining Artist Point serving drinks and light meals.
- Trout Pass: Pool bar located next to the Silver Creek Springs pool.
Dining at Disney's Wilderness Lodge and the Villas will be expanded during the 2016/2017 Disney Vacation Club expansion at the resort with new waterside dining locations and bar at the Hidden Springs pool.
- Shopping: The Wilderness Lodge contains one store named The Wilderness Lodge Mercantile, located in the main lobby of the resort. The store sells many Disney items available throughout the Walt Disney World Resort, as well as items specifically themed to the Pacific Northwest and the hotel itself. Since the addition of The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, the shop has also begun selling a limited selection of grocery items. A Disney pin trading booth is located across the lobby from the store.
- Teton Boat and Bike Rentals: A lakeside shack which rents boats for guests to use on Bay Lake, and bikes to use on the trails around the resort. This facility is closed during the DVC redevelopment at the property.
- Silver Creek Springs Pool: The main pool at the resort, featuring a stream which originates in the lobby. A slide, spa and large pool deck are also available.
- Hidden Springs Pool: A quiet pool located between the main lodge and the Villas. This pool is closed during the DVC redevelopment at the property.
- Fire Rock Geyser: A replica of a geyser close to the Silver Creek Springs Pool. It erupts every half hour.
- Cub's Den: A children's play area and childcare facility featuring arts and crafts, video games and outdoor areas. The childcare option is available for children ages 3-12.
- Buttons and Bells Arcade: A traditional arcade located just off the lobby featuring video games and pinball machines.
- White Sand Beach: Located on the shores of Bay Lake. The beach area is closed during the DVC redevelopment at the property.
- Sturdy Branches Health Club: A full service health club which also provides selected spa treatments.
Other activities on site include a children's playground, catch-and-release fishing, in-room video rentals, and a mile-around jogging and bike trail shared with Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground.
- "AAA Four Diamond Hotels" (PDF). AAA. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- "Disney's Wilderness Lodge Resort". WDWHistory. Retrieved 2008-04-22.
- "Walt Disney World Resort - Disney's Wilderness Lodge". Official Disney Website. Retrieved 2008-04-22.
- "Plans filed for waterside Disney Vacation Club villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge Resort". WDWMagic.com. Retrieved 31 December 2015.
- "Two Disney Resorts Receives Florida Green Lodging Designation". Florida Department of Environmental Protection. 2007-11-02. Retrieved 2008-06-04.
- "Plans filed for waterside Disney Vacation Club villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge Resort". WDWMagic.com. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- Official website, Disney's Wilderness Lodge
- Official website, The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge