Mäntyranta at the 1964 Olympics
|Full name||Eero Antero Mäntyranta|
20 November 1937|
Turtola, Lapland, Finland
|Died||29 December 2013
Oulu, Northern Ostrobothnia, Finland
|Height||170 cm (5 ft 7 in)|
|Ski club||Pellon Ponsi|
|Updated on 22 February 2014.|
Eero Antero Mäntyranta (20 November 1937 – 29 December 2013) was one of the most successful Finnish skiers. He competed in four Winter Olympics (1960–1972) winning seven medals at three of them. His performance at the 1964 Winter Olympics earned him the nickname "Mister Seefeld", referring to the venue where the cross-country skiing and biathlon competitions took place. The Finnish Ministry of Education endowed him with the Pro Urheilu letter of recognition in 2000. There is also a museum centered on Mäntyranta in his birthplace of Pello.
Genetics and doping
Mäntyranta had primary familial and congenital polycythemia (PFCP) causing an increase in red blood cell mass and hemoglobin due to a mutation in the erythropoietin receptor (EPOR) gene, which was identified following a DNA study done on over 200 members of his family, as reported in 1993. This condition results in an increase of up to 50% in the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood, a large advantage when participating in endurance events.
- three Olympic gold medals: Squaw Valley 1960 (4×10 km relay) and Innsbruck 1964 (15 km and 30 km)
- two Olympic silver medals: Innsbruck 1964 (relay) and Grenoble 1968 (15 km)
- two Olympic bronze medals: Grenoble 1968 (30 km and relay)
- two World Championships gold medals: Zakopane 1962 (30 km) and Oslo 1966 (30 km), two silver: 1962 (relay) and 1966 (relay), one bronze: 1966 (50 km)
- National domestic championships: five gold, two silver and two bronze
- Holmenkollen ski festival championships first place 1962, 1964 and 1968 (15 km)
- Holmenkollen medal in 1964 (Shared with Veikko Kankkonen, Georg Thoma, and Halvor Næs.).
- Salpausselkä games win 1964 an 1972.
- Skiing legend Eero Mäntyranta dead at 76. yle.fi. 30 December 2013
- Eero Mäntyranta. sports-reference.com
- de la Chapelle. A; Traskelin AL; Juvonen E. (1993). "Truncated erythropoietin receptor causes dominantly inherited benign human erythrocytosis". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 90 (10): 4495–9. PMC 46538. PMID 8506290.
- Interview with Malcolm Gladwell. The Guardian. 29 September 2013
Media related to Eero Mäntyranta at Wikimedia Commons