Glenrothes (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Glenrothes in Scotland.
|Member of Parliament||Peter Grant (SNP)|
|Created from||Central Fife|
|European Parliament constituency||Scotland|
The seat is currently held by Peter Grant, of the Scottish National Party (SNP). He has held the seat since the 2015 general election after gaining the seat from the Labour Party who had held the seat since its creation.
The current boundaries centre on Glenrothes itself, moving south and west to include Cardenden, and a small section of Kirkcaldy. The northern and western areas include Leslie, and Markinch. In the east, the seat contains Leven, Kennoway and Methil.
Creation in 2005–2008
In the 2008 by election Lindsay Roy was elected, the Labour majority falling by around 4000 votes, with the Labour vote increasing by 3%, the SNP making significant gains from the lower-placed Conservative and the Liberal Democrat candidates.
2010 general election
With the 2010 election, the Labour share of the vote increased by 10% at the expense of the SNP candidate. The winner's total reached 62% of the votes cast which places the seat in the top decile of seats won and therefore indicates a safe seat majority. Relative to the 2005 general election the swing against the SNP was less accentuated than relative to the by-election at 4.45% of the vote on the standard two-party measure of swing, which is comparable to the national swing.
Members of Parliament
|2008 by-election||Lindsay Roy||Labour|
|2015||Peter Grant||Scottish National Party|
|Liberal Democrat||Rebecca Bell||1,208||3.0||+1.1|
|Liberal Democrat||Jane Ann Liston||892||1.9||−5.8|
|SNP gain from Labour||Swing||+35.0|
|Liberal Democrat||Harry Wills||3,108||7.7||-5.0|
|Liberal Democrat||Harry Wills||947||2.6||-10.1|
|Scottish Senior Citizens||Jim Parker||296||1.0||N/A|
|Scottish Socialist||Morag Balfour||212||0.6||-1.3|
|Liberal Democrat||Elizabeth Riches||4,728||12.7||N/A|
|Scottish Pensioners Party||George Rodger||716||1.9||N/A|
|Scottish Socialist||Morag Balfour||705||1.9||N/A|
- "MP MacDougall dies after illness". BBC News. 13 August 2008.
- "Glenrothes by-election date set". BBC News. 6 October 2008.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "G" (part 2)
- "Glenrothes parliamentary constituency - Election 2017 - BBC News". www.bbc.com. BBC News. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "General Election Results". Fife Council. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Alex Stewart-Clark". Scottish.Conservative. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- "list of selected candidates". Lib Dems. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Glenrothes result in full". BBC News. 7 November 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-07.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.